We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IMPORTANT NEWS for Residents of Canada, Japan and the U.S.A.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
11,772 posts
23 reviews
68 helpful votes
IMPORTANT NEWS for Residents of Canada, Japan and the U.S.A.
Save

IMPORTANT DEVELOPMENT FOR RESIDENTS OF CANADA, JAPAN AND THE UNITED STATES SEEKING ENTRY INTO ITALY FOR ANY LAWFUL PURPOSE (including for tourism/leisure)

The Ordinance signed into law today by Italian Health Minister Roberto Speranza contains a provision in Article 6 (hyperlinked below) which provides that Canada, Japan and the United States will be moved from List E to List D effective Sunday, May 16.

THIS MEANS THAT SUCH PERSONS WILL BE ALLOWED ENTRY INTO ITALY FOR ANY LAWFUL PURPOSE, INCLUDING TOURISM AND LEISURE TRAVEL, but subject to the entry conditions, which AT THE MOMENT require a negative molecular OR antigenic test performed no more than 48 hours beforehand, 10 DAYS OF SELF-ISOLATION, and a second molecular OR antigenic test at the conclusion of the period of self-isolation. Proof of vaccination or recovery from the virus are NOT for the present recognized conditions for entry into Italy (but this may change soon).

https://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nuovocoronavirus/dettaglioContenutiNuovoCoronavirus.jsp?lingua=english&id=5412&area=nuovoCoronavirus&menu=vuoto&tab=4

THE 10-DAY PERIOD OF SELF-ISOLATION IS WAIVED FOR THOSE ARRIVING IN ITALY ON "COVID-TESTED" FLIGHTS.

THIS MEANS THAT CANADIANS, JAPANESE AND AMERICANS WILL BE ALLOWED ENTRY INTO ITALY STARTING THIS SUNDAY, WITHOUT THE NEED TO SELF-ISOLATE FOR 10 DAYS, PROVIDED THEY ENTER ITALY ON A "COVID-TESTED" FLIGHT.

https://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nuovocoronavirus/dettaglioContenutiNuovoCoronavirus.jsp?lingua=english&id=5412&area=nuovoCoronavirus&menu=vuoto&tab=8

WELCOME BACK TO ITALY!!!!!

https://www.salute.gov.it/imgs/C_17_notizie_5483_0_file.pdf

92 replies to this topic
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
11,772 posts
23 reviews
68 helpful votes
1. Re: IMPORTANT NEWS for Residents of Canada, Japan and the U.S.A.
Save

Italy has increased the airports from which "Covid-tested" flights may operate into Italy as follows, effective Sunday May 16:

Atlanta

Boston

Chicago

Dallas

Los Angeles

Miami

New York (JFK and EWR)

Philadelphia

Washington D.C.

Flights from these cities may operate into Rome FCO and Milano MXP, but now also Naples NAP and Venice VCE.

Persons arriving on such "Covid-tested" flights at FCO, MXP, NAP and VCE will be subject to a SECOND COVID-19 test upon arrival.

THE FOREGOING PROVISION WILL BE VALID UNTIL AT LEAST OCTOBER 30, 2021.

https://www.salute.gov.it/imgs/C_17_notizie_5483_1_file.pdf

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
89 posts
47 reviews
36 helpful votes
2. Re: IMPORTANT NEWS for Residents of Canada, Japan and the U.S.A.
Save

Thanks again for keeping us informed, GAC.

This is good news, indeed.

I'm booked IAD-FCO in early October. I wonder how much rules with change by then. (I'm not asking you to predict the future, but wouldn't mind if you took a stab at it!)

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
11,772 posts
23 reviews
68 helpful votes
3. Re: IMPORTANT NEWS for Residents of Canada, Japan and the U.S.A.
Save

Using my "Merlin the Magician Crystal Ball", I predict that there will indeed be more changes to the Italian Entry Regulations between now and next October: some may be to lessen restrictions (such as by allowing fully vaccinated persons to enter without needing to take a virus test), but others could ramp-up restrictions, primarily in the event that some new virus variant causes a spike in contagions or hospitalizations, OR simply because of the quite significant reduction in internal restrictions causing a big increase in reported cases.

For example, it would not be impossible for the United States to RETURN to Italy's List "E" (from List "D") should the epidemiological situation in the U.S. deteriorate significantly. Hopefully, this won't happen, or at least not until next autumn/winter.

There is really no better "crystal ball" than to keep current on the relevant news and official pronouncements. You can also track daily COVID statistics for Italy on the main thread of the Italy forums: "Coronavirus situation"

Edited: May 15, 2021, 1:53 am
New York
Level Contributor
49,621 posts
4. Re: IMPORTANT NEWS for Residents of Canada, Japan and the U.S.A.
Save

So - if taking Covid-tested flight one has a test no more than 48 hours before their flight to Italy and then a test upon arrival in Italy - is this correct?

My brain is a bit fuzzy these days with allergies so I just want to be sure I am understanding it properly.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
11,772 posts
23 reviews
68 helpful votes
5. Re: IMPORTANT NEWS for Residents of Canada, Japan and the U.S.A.
Save

# 4

Exactly. Plus, you need to test NEGATIVE BOTH at departure AND upon arrival!!!! The consequences of testing positive are different: at departure, you will be denied boarding, and should qualify for a refund or a voucher for future travel; at arrival in Italy, you would need to go to a "COVID-hotel" or similar structure until you test negative. You MIGHT PERHAPS be allowed to self-isolate in a long-term rental property or one owned by you in Italy (this is not official information, merely my conjecture).

New York
Level Contributor
49,621 posts
6. Re: IMPORTANT NEWS for Residents of Canada, Japan and the U.S.A.
Save

Thanks GAC

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Oman, California, Yukon, Chile, Argentina, Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,998 posts
7 reviews
9 helpful votes
7. Re: IMPORTANT NEWS for Residents of Canada, Japan and the U.S.A.
Save

GAC, just a quick question: I don't know any information that the border to EU are open for tourists from USA. And this would be the first step for any tourism out from US. Do you have more information about this?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
89 posts
47 reviews
36 helpful votes
8. Re: IMPORTANT NEWS for Residents of Canada, Japan and the U.S.A.
Save

Thanks again, GAC.

And, so you know, checking the pinned thread is a part of my daily routine!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
11,772 posts
23 reviews
68 helpful votes
9. Re: IMPORTANT NEWS for Residents of Canada, Japan and the U.S.A.
Save

# 7

I have heard no news about a generalized opening by the E.U. to U.S. tourists. This may happen around mid-June.

Nevertheless, today it is clear that ITALY has decided to allow tourists from Canada, Japan and the U.S. into Italy, without the need to self-isolate for 10 days IF arriving on "Covid-tested" flights, which should be increasing. Notice that these three countries are G-7 members: evidently, there was an agreement amongst certain G-7 countries to liberalize tourist entries.

IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE that people who reside in Canada, Japan or the U.S. (or who have transited through any of these countries in the previous 14 days), and who enter Italy FROM ANOTHER E.U./Schengen country (or from Israel/U.K.) and NOT on a "Covid-tested" flight will need to spend 10 days in self-isolation in between the two COVID-19 tests (even if the first test yields a negative result).

THE DISPENSATION FROM THE SELF-ISOLATION REQUIREMENT APPLIES ONLY TO THOSE ENTERING ITALY ON A "COVID-TESTED" FLIGHT, who test negative both at departure and upon arrival.

Italian political parties have been under increasing pressure to liberalize tourist entries not just from within the E.U., but also from the U.K. and the U.S. The constituency of tourism-related workers carries significant electoral clout, and the results of the very recent political elections in Madrid have sent a strong message to Italian left-of-center parties that loosening up on entry restrictions brings good results at the ballot box (and the converse is also true).

It is also worth noting that the Italian Minister of Tourism is a member of the center-right LEGA party, which is very strongly pro-business and strongly in favor of loosening travel restrictions.

I was moderately surprised to see this opening by Italy to non-E.U. tourists this month. I was expecting this to happen next month. Obviously, the political pressures to open up the country to these tourists have been quite strong.

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
855 posts
47 reviews
73 helpful votes
10. Re: IMPORTANT NEWS for Residents of Canada, Japan and the U.S.A.
Save

Though there are still plenty of barriers here at home and elsewhere to our travel plans, we hope to fly from Canada to arrive in the UK on August 10 and then fly to Catania on Aug 29, 19 days later. Does anyone know how would I prove to Italian authorities that we had been in the UK for that period of time? Is a stamp in our Canadian passports showing the date of arrival in the UK sufficient proof?

Reply to: IMPORTANT NEWS for Residents of Canada, Japan and the U.S.A.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.