We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pitigliano or calcata?

4 posts
Pitigliano or calcata?
Save

Hi, both those villages are the same length from the road I want to take but they are very similar so I don’t know which to pick. Could you help me there if you went to both? Thank you!

12 replies to this topic
Australia
Level Contributor
6,454 posts
58 reviews
106 helpful votes
1. Re: Pitigliano or calcata?
Save

Laurence, are you travelling by car?

Are you planning just a ‘day trip look’ before going somewhere else?

Or are you wanting to stay in a hotel or apartment?

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
6 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Pitigliano or calcata?
Save

Pitigliano is near Sovano in southern Tuscany and deserves your time. Excursions to these places can be arranged as necessary parts of a sojourn there. More than a day for exploring the total surrounding area.is needed. Sovana has its medieval piazza. Stay in Pitigliano area and get the most of southern Tuscany. If you are now thinking about staying in the area for a lengthy time choose Pitigliano.. Three days con not be a wrong decision.

4 posts
3. Re: Pitigliano or calcata?
Save

Thank you for your replies, yes, I was thinking of traveling by car as it will give me more liberty, and i’m pretty sure that I will stay in the pitigliano area for a few days as there is many things to see: saturnia hot springs, pienza, postal card landscapes in the san quirico area, civita di bagnoregio, pitigliano itself, sorano and sovana now that i know about it. I could also easily go to calcata as a day trip from rome (where I also plan to stay during my trip) or to vitorchiano on the road from val d’orcia to Rome. It’s just that on picture, vitorchiano, calcata, pitigliano, sovana and sorano are pretty similar and I don’t have time for all. But now that I think about it, sovana, pitigliano or sorano would probably be better as it would surely be closer to my staying place and I would rather stay longer in Val d’orcia than in rome or doing a detour on the road for vitorchiano.

Australia
Level Contributor
6,454 posts
58 reviews
106 helpful votes
4. Re: Pitigliano or calcata?
Save

Laurence, here is my record of visit to Bagnoregio in 2010.

http://unmese.blogspot.com/2010/03/bagnoregio.html

And Vitorchiano.

http://unmese.blogspot.com/search/label/Vitorchiano

Vitorchiano wins for us. In the same area Viterbo, Villa Lante, Montefiascone, Soriano nel Cimino (where we stayed for month) and Bomarzo

http://unmese.blogspot.com/2010/02/bomarzo-parco-dei-mostri.html

There is a feast of history and beauty nearby wherever you stay. No need to go great distances.

When you look at road distances you see that it’s very easy to base in one place and visit much.

If you are arriving and departing Rome airport FCO, collect the rental car there, head north for Civitavecchia rather than being entangled in the Rome ring road. Then return the car to the airport and take the train to the city. No cars of visitors inside Rome.

Be aware of these

http://driventoit.blogspot.com/

....prepared by Nick Booth, known in this forum as sydneynick.

And

http://www.aci.it/laci/driving-in-italy/driving-in-italy-information-for-visiting-motorists.html

...you need to use a computer not phone to access the ACI site properly.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
12 reviews
25 helpful votes
5. Re: Pitigliano or calcata?
Save

"pitigliano area for a few days as there is many things to see: saturnia hot springs, pienza, postal card landscapes in the san quirico area, civita di bagnoregio, pitigliano itself, sorano and sovana"

It's around an hour's drive from Pitigliano to Pienza, which is at the top (northern end) of the Val d'Orcia and, as I am sure you know, you could happily spend a week or more exploring the valley, admiring the stunning landscapes and the surrounding villages. As attractive as they are, you can easily visit Pitigliano, Sorano and Sovana in one day. If you are heading in the direction of Cività Bagnoregio, you must please include Orvieto, which is far more interesting and offers a great deal more to the visitor. (The main attraction in CB is its site as viewed from a distance.) On your way to CB you'll pass by Lago di Bolsena, the town of Bolsena is definitely worth a stop for the pretty streets, castle, lakeside location. The hot springs at Saturnia are best visited early on a weekday as they become very crowded Friday thru Sunday evening. Be extra vigilant there and ensure nothing is left in your car as the village has bit of a reputation. There are many more beautiful villages in the Maremma, especially as you head towards the coast.

4 posts
6. Re: Pitigliano or calcata?
Save

Lastraniera, yeah, sorry, I got mixed up adding pienza and San quirico d’orcia to the pitigliano area. I will surely spend more than a week in the region and sleep in both areas or somewhere between the two. Also, now you talk about orvieto, I must say I was a bit torn about which was the most beautiful "typical tuscan village surrounded by hills, fields, vineyards and medieval alleys"; pienza seemed to be the one to visit (plus, I love cheese) but I can be wrong and you’re putting that in perspective. . And Denny, i won’t rent a car as my grand parents live near aix en Provence, less than a 5 hour drive from Genoa, the starting point of my trip, so I will borrow their second car; But it seems absolutely logical to me not to use the car while visiting big towns. And

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
25 posts
7. Re: Pitigliano or calcata?
Save

I don't suppose you're interested in Calcata because you read a certain book about a legendary Christian relic that resided in a church there, are you? :-)

That's why I visited the town several years ago. It's tiny, took less than an hour to see every nook and cranny. I'm talking strictly about the historic center, of course.

It was interesting, but there seemed to be little life in the town. Someone told me that several homes there are weekend homes for people who live in Rome.

My pics from Calcata: https://www.flickr.com/photos/triptorome2006/7096785131/in/album-72157629477476508/

Australia
Level Contributor
6,454 posts
58 reviews
106 helpful votes
8. Re: Pitigliano or calcata?
Save

Oh to have a grandmother in Aix en Provence!

#7, glorious photos.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
12 reviews
25 helpful votes
9. Re: Pitigliano or calcata?
Save

"I was a bit torn about which was the most beautiful "typical tuscan village surrounded by hills, fields, vineyards and medieval alleys"

I don't believe there is a "most beautiful", it's more a case of how a place impacts you on the day you visit. Pienza has everything you mention (including the cheese) but in the past in high summer at certain times of the day it could be extremely crowded as it is such a popular place to visit. You might like this but others would come away thinking they preferred the quieter little village they visited afterwards. That too was surrounded by hills, fields and vineyards, was a maze of medieval alleys but it only had one small store and during the half hour they spent wandering around they saw no one besides a few cats slumbering in the shade. There is a whole lot more to the Val d'Orcia than just Pienza and fortunately you don't have to travel far to find it. Each village comes with its own unique charm, something that someone once described to me as "same, same but different".

If you have enough time, 5 days or so down in the Maremma (based in Pitigliano) and a week around Pienza would make a fabulous vacation.

I too would love to have a grandmother in Aix ...

4 posts
10. Re: Pitigliano or calcata?
Save

Yes, I feel very lucky, my grand parents have a beautiful farm. They have a 1800’s villa filled with antiquities, a vineyard, a view on the mountains and paths going up on them where we can see roman ruins from the "voie aurélienne" and upper views on the surrounding areas and villages. It’s been in the family for about a 100 years. For the tourists, I should add that I plan to go there in may of next year, so it won’t be too much of a problem. I like any type of villages but I must say I like it when there is little shops. I just need to do some choices cause I prefer to impregnate myself of fewer places than visiting at a running pace.

Reply to: Pitigliano or calcata?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.