We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
97 reviews
34 helpful votes
Weather
Save

Planning to go to Italy in late 2021 or spring 2022. Retired so don't have to worry about dates. Tourist season and summer are not considered. April, may, October or November. What do you recommend.

5 replies to this topic
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Oman, California, Yukon, Chile, Argentina, Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,532 posts
7 reviews
9 helpful votes
1. Re: Weather
Save

It depends on where you want to go. Italy is large and has a lot of different weather. You could "play" with this website:

https://www.iten-online.ch/klima/europa/italien/italien.htm

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
6 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Weather
Save

Wait until the calendar year 2022 for safety and for giving Italy time to resolve and deal with the pandemic.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
12,821 posts
12 reviews
25 helpful votes
3. Re: Weather
Save

This is such a difficult question for it really is impossible to predict. We had days and days of 20+ C degrees in late March / early April followed by a bitterly cold snap and now typical "spring" weather of the right mixed bag. There are dry sunny days, sure, but I'm afraid all too often I've found May to be quite rainy in central Italy. October can be fabulous with warm sunny days and little rain but again in other years slightly wintry. Out of all the months you mention, late April / October possibly the "safest" but really and truly who knows? Pack for every eventuality, and bear in mind that although the countryside can look disappointing, most towns and villages still look lovely even in cloud and drizzle.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
97 reviews
34 helpful votes
4. Re: Weather
Save

thank you for your answer. Never been to Italy and am planning a 10 day train trip through Venice, Florence, Rome etc. Don't want to fight the crowds in the summer especially with some countries returning to tourism and travel after covid.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
25 posts
5. Re: Weather
Save

Most of my trips, from visits to the northern lakes to Sicily, have been in the late March and early April period, which is just before the heavy tourist season begins. I'd say at least 8 out of 10 days are beautiful, though you may need a light jacket or sweater. Nights can still be quite chilly though.

Reply to: Weather
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.