We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non Essential travel

Level Contributor
128 posts
68 reviews
73 helpful votes
Non Essential travel
Save

Just Curious, Has anybody visited Italy for non essential reasons coming from other than the EU? Did they let you board? Did they not let you in? What was the outcome for anybody who has travelled?

30 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
50 posts
1. Re: Non Essential travel
Save

Following, I’m curious of this as well.

2. Re: Non Essential travel

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: April 12, 2021, 10:28 am
Edited: April 12, 2021, 10:28 am

United States
Level Contributor
6,939 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Non Essential travel
Save

I am not exactly sure what you are asking here.

Of course, there have been travelers from countries besides the EU that have visited Italy for non-essential purposes. For instance, over the past year, there have been a handful of other countries named in List D that are not EU countries. While these travelers can enter Italy for any reason, they are still usually subject to a quarantine period. Also, depending on regional COVID-19 classifications in Italy, travel may be forbidden between regions or cities - so one cannot freely explore the entire country of Italy.

If you are a resident of a country from List E (for example - the United States), travel for tourism purposes is not permitted.

Edited: April 12, 2021, 10:29 am
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
200 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Non Essential travel
Save

I visited Italy (for essential reasons) from Switzerland (a List C country) 8 times since July 2020, including 4 times by air and 4 times by road/rail. No one ever asked me or any other passenger what my reasons to visit where, no one really cares

United States
Level Contributor
6,939 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Non Essential travel
Save

>>no one really cares<<

I wouldn't necessarily say that - there have been several angry travelers who posted on these forums that indicated that they were denied boarding by their airline when they showed up at their origin airport.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
11,357 posts
23 reviews
68 helpful votes
6. Re: Non Essential travel
Save

There is a broad category of non-E.U. residents who are lawfully permitted to enter Italy for ANY reason, regardless of where they live (apart from Brazil): those who hold Italian or other E.U./Schengen CITIZENSHIP (including those having dual citizenship), together with their family members. Also permitted entry are "persons who have a proven and stable emotional relationship (even if not cohabiting) with Italian/EU/Schengen citizens or natural persons who are legally resident in Italy (long-term residents), who need to reach their partner's home/domicile/residence (in Italy)." This probably does not include visiting your aunt or uncle, but probably does include a spouse, parent, child or romantic partner.

Additionally, persons are allowed entry into Italy for bona fide STUDY reasons (equated to work reasons). This means, for example, attending classes at an Italian or foreign university located in Italy (e.g. John Cabot and American University in Rome), or the Pontifical Gregorian University or similar theological school in Italy, or comparable institution. I seriously doubt it includes attending an Italian-language school, unless perhaps for an extended period of time.

Additionally, persons are allowed entry into Italy to return to their "domicile, home or residence." This probably also includes a "second home" which is either owned or rented long-term, but BEWARE that some Italian regions have added a requirement that such second homes cannot be accessed unless for an exigent reason, such as making emergency repairs or for buying/selling purposes.

Finally, one can enter Italy, even from a "List E" country, for matters of "absolute urgency" such as the death or hospitalization of a close family member.

If you are allowed to board a flight to Italy with a completed "self-declaration" form, the border police will/may look at it when you arrive at the airport in Italy, and ordinarily will rely on its contents, as long as it seems plausible. If they suspect something odd, they can ask you some questions, and the veracity of the declarations are always subject to being verified at a later time by local authorities.

"Grey area" questions should be checked with the local Italian Consulate/Embassy prior to embarking on long-distance travel.

http://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nuovocoronavirus/dettaglioContenutiNuovoCoronavirus.jsp?lingua=english&id=5412&area=nuovoCoronavirus&menu=vuoto&tab=5

Edited: April 12, 2021, 12:04 pm
Mestre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Crete, Istria, Cres, Krk, Sicily
Level Contributor
22,252 posts
108 reviews
91 helpful votes
7. Re: Non Essential travel
Save

Unfortunately I must admit that no one cares. I know many passengers coming from non EU countries and not being asked of anything. Even not reminding them that they need to quarantene or stuff like this....please go on...

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
6 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Non Essential travel
Save

How much of this terminology is confusing? What is more essential than protecting one's health from fatal infection with the pandemic? How can non-essential travel be any less important or less essential and at the same time any more essential than preserving one's health? This task is not like playing cross word puzzle games. Do self declaration forms reduce the vitality and urgency of preserving one's health? Urgency is not to be relegated to second place when alternatives to seeking for external reason to justify travel are made. Is preservation of 'one's health any less vital or less urgent than traveling away from dangerous places? Are second visits necessary or less essential than first visits that lead to quarantine and hospitalization? Quarantining people is not child's play. Neither is refusal to accept vaccination.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
105,698 posts
440 reviews
362 helpful votes
9. Re: Non Essential travel
Save

I may be wrong, but I think the OP is hoping to find some kind of loophole that others have successfully used to enter Italy for leisure purposes from the US. It's a fair question if I'm right, as it has worked for some Europeans who wanted to get into the US.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Oman, California, Yukon, Chile, Argentina, Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,503 posts
7 reviews
9 helpful votes
10. Re: Non Essential travel
Save

# 7: even if nobody ask about it and even if it is not controlled, nevertheless it is the law. And if you are trying to circumvent it is illegal.

Or, for example, do you try to steal something, thinking it is allowed, only because there is nobody monitoring?

Edited: April 13, 2021, 6:09 pm
Reply to: Non Essential travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.