We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Italian language learning school

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
Suggestions for Italian language learning school
Save

Ciao

Wondering if anybody has any suggestions for schools in Sicily to spend a few weeks at to learn Italian. I am planning on going in late September/ early October of this year 2021, if all goes well in the world ?

I’m thinking of going to Syracusa

23 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
36,412 posts
81 reviews
67 helpful votes
1. Re: Suggestions for Italian language learning school
Save

would it not make more sense to learn italian in new york? very large italian community there.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
12,796 posts
12 reviews
25 helpful votes
2. Re: Suggestions for Italian language learning school
Save

Nothing beats learning a language in the country of origin for there you are surrounded by it everywhere you go, and you see it, hear it constantly so it's far easier to immerse yourself in it. And it's surprising how much you pick up that way even subconsciously.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Suggestions for Italian language learning school
Save

Well, I've been cooped up in my NY apartment for almost a year now. And if nothing else this Covid lockdown has reminder me that life is short & we should all follow our dreams and explore the world. The dream that has been getting me through has been learning the language of my grand parents, who were from Naples & Castellammare Del Golfo, Sicily. Both some of my favorite places to go when I visit.

Having been vaccinated with both shots and hoping that travel is even possible, in the next couple of months I thought it would be way more beneficial to take an immersion course and study in Italy, Sicily in particular. As opposed to studying by book in a classroom in NYC, but thanks for your thoughts.

I was really looking for a suggestion on a school that perhaps someone has studied at.

California
Level Contributor
16,367 posts
54 reviews
39 helpful votes
4. Re: Suggestions for Italian language learning school
Save

While I haven't studied Italian in Italy, i second the benefits and desire to do so. If you find a language school, do make sure any registration fees can be refunded if it turns out that travel to Sicily/Italy isn't the best at that time (Covid restrictions/surges/quarantines). I hope for everyone that life will be better soon...patience and goodwill can be illusive but we can do it!

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
12,796 posts
12 reviews
25 helpful votes
5. Re: Suggestions for Italian language learning school
Save

"I was really looking for a suggestion on a school that perhaps someone has studied at."

Sorry, I have only studied in Florence and Siena. Be patient, the board is quiet at the moment, give it time and hopefully someone will suggest somewhere.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
33,519 posts
98 reviews
90 helpful votes
6. Re: Suggestions for Italian language learning school
Save

We did six weeks at Da Vinci in Florence -- it was half day intensive two hours of grammar and two of conversation in small groups and the school also sponsored free tour type events where teachers would take people to local sites like churches and talk to them in 'easy Italian' about what they were seeing. We were happy with it. But no ideas for Syracuse. I'd google language schools there and then ask specifically for experiences in the schools you fine.

United States
Level Contributor
10,520 posts
13 reviews
19 helpful votes
7. Re: Suggestions for Italian language learning school
Save

Many schools are closed right now but are offering online group or individual classes. It might be a good way to get your feet wet and try out different schools before committing to one for a long stay. A google search would bring up many possibilities. My school in Lucca has been posting articles from an association of schools trying to get some help during the closures. I think it’s called LICET and they would have school listings.

TAB

United States
Level Contributor
10,520 posts
13 reviews
19 helpful votes
8. Re: Suggestions for Italian language learning school
Save

Here are the LICET scuole listings for Sicily. I’m sure there are probably others not in the association.

https://scuole-licet.it/en/italian-language-schools-licet/

TAB

San Francisco
Level Contributor
422 posts
9. Re: Suggestions for Italian language learning school
Save

I've studied at two different schools, one in Lucca and one in Tropea. I am an advanced student. It seems the language schools have two different philosophies concerning grammar. In Tropea we had two hours of grammar followed by two hours of conversation. In Lucca there was no grammar, only conversation. Of course, questions would come up and they would answer the questions, but there was no dedicated time for grammar. In Lucca my wife asked if there was a class with more grammar, they said no, their philosophy was that the best way to learn to speak was to just speak. Different people have different needs, and learn in different ways so I think there is no right or wrong approach. I personally like and need the grammar, others hate learning grammar and don't find it useful. So, pay attention to the curriculum at the school you decide on. If you think you want the grammar, look for a school that has a dedicated grammar period.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
12,796 posts
12 reviews
25 helpful votes
10. Re: Suggestions for Italian language learning school
Save

"others hate learning grammar and don't find it useful"

Unless you regard "learning a language" as merely memorizing a multitude of phrases parrot fashion, I don't see how anyone can construct a simple sentence without learning some basic grammar. And shame on the "school" in Lucca that doesn't acknowledge this. Sounds as though they are more interested in extracting money from students than equipping them with a good grounding in Italian. Sure, few like learning grammar, especially native English speakers who may not even have studied the English language in any depth so wouldn't know the imperfect tense from a bang on head. But learning a language is like building a house, the first thing you need are good foundations, and in language learning, good foundations equal grammar. I know people will disagree, they'll say they've visited Italy X many times and have been able to communicate perfectly well. But there is a wide gulf between being able to "communicate" and speak a language.

Reply to: Suggestions for Italian language learning school
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.