We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy 21 days

Italy 21 days
Save

I am planning a trip to Italy for myself, husband and another couple. My husband and I have been to Italy a few times so will meet the other couple in San Gimignano where I have booked a Agriturismo for 10 nights to visit the surrounding area as we will have a car. We have an additional 7 - 10 days remaining so undecided as to staying in Tuscany or Umbria vs train from Florence-I d o not enjoy jumping around too much so prefer one or two base locations . Any suggestions on the last 7 - 10 days would be appreciated.

12 replies to this topic
Australia
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
58 reviews
106 helpful votes
1. Re: Italy 21 days
Save

It’s a question first of time of year and directions of the hearts. Whether you want to go to beach or mountains or whatever. We share your inclination to avoidrunning around.

So I suggest the order of things might be:

1. Don’t plan to go until you are absolutely clear of pandemic restraints where you are and Italy.

2. Search the hearts.

3. Search for apartment/s. You may want to go separate ways. With an inclination of where we’d like to be we have found it best to find first a place to stay which has magic. Not a holiday to return to gloom in the evening.

4. Then review transport options.

Edited: March 25, 2021, 8:39 am
2. Re: Italy 21 days
Save

thank you for your comments.. I agree. we have a lovely 2 bedroom apartment near San Gimignano with the option to change or cancel if COVID continues.

still undecided if I want to venture south so the other travel companions can see another side of Italy. Warm Regards,

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka, Tokyo
Level Contributor
71,442 posts
181 reviews
182 helpful votes
3. Re: Italy 21 days
Save

Obviously, we can't decide for you. If your friends haven't visited Italy before, any destination should seem interesting to them. Perhaps you can look for some place you haven't gone previously so you can explore together?

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
12,796 posts
12 reviews
25 helpful votes
4. Re: Italy 21 days
Save

I can fully relate to not wanting to jump around too much, we feel the same, but I can see several options. Staying around San Gim, you should be able to explore central Tuscany and even the northern towns such as Lucca and Pisa. Siena too is somewhere that’s easily reached for a day. It would be a challenge to come south to the Val d’Orcia for although it’s only a 90 mins drive, there’s a lot to see when you are here and you would want more than a snatched few hours in the area.

But then you must see Florence - really you must - so, if I were you, I would bite the bullet and make it a three centre holiday starting in San Gim with the car, coming south to somewhere like Montepulciano from which you can explore the Val d’Orcia and also northern Umbria (Orvieto is only an hour away). This should leave you a few days on the end to enjoy Florence, having dropped the car somewhere first such as Chiusi and then taken the train. (Sudden thought – where are you flying in and out of?)

Virginia
Level Contributor
6,998 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
5. Re: Italy 21 days
Save

Where have you been before, and should we exclude those in suggestions? There are really too many options, so let's ponder things that might help narrow it down

--Do you want to do something similar for the remainder (driving, rural), or are you looking for a totally opposite change of pace--train, city?

--What month will the trip occur?

Just to offer one idea, you could drive over to the Marche region and fly out of Ancona. I stayed in the southern part and at the coast, but if you just drive east, the Urbino area would be somewhere to look. If you didn't want to go that far, just going to southern Tuscany/northern Lazio would be a big change of pace.

Edited: March 25, 2021, 11:06 pm
6. Re: Italy 21 days
Save

Thank you for your suggestion. I think that is the route we will consider. We are planning on arriving into Pisa or Florence 28 Mar , staying in San Gim for approx. 10 nights so will have an additional 7 nights to explore south as suggested with a vehicle. I assume the weather will be cool spring temperatures .

the other couple had also suggested Sardinia for the 7 nights.. what are your thoughts?

Virginia
Level Contributor
6,998 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
7. Re: Italy 21 days
Save

Passport, the reply function does not work well (just a quirk of TA), so we don't know whose suggestion you are referring to.

Now that we know you have exactly a week and want to keep the car, and what time of year it is, we can really get somewhere!

I would not go to Sardinia that early in the season. Plus, getting there eats up valuable time. What stands out to me from the idea of Sardinia though, given it is not beach season (why a lot of people go but certainly not all it has to offer) is something unique, deep archaeological history, and coastal beauty. If any of that is why your friends suggested Sardinia, that brings to mind my favorite part of Tuscany so far, the Maremma of the southern coast. There are cute towns aplenty, and really fascinating archaeology.

8. Re: Italy 21 days
Save

I appreciate your comment.. we are not looking for a "sit on the beach" vacation , especially that early in the season but enjoy the cultural and historic aspect as well as the coastal vistas . I will do some research on your suggestion.

Virginia
Level Contributor
6,998 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
9. Re: Italy 21 days
Save

If you are deep into archaeology, it might be wonderful to have so many sites to yourselves on Sardinia, but I have often read the island is very seasonal and it could be too quiet--others can offer more qualified input. I mostly would not want the extra travel time with only a week. The area I mentioned has a lot packed within a small area, so a week is a great amount of time.

Good luck--it is so lovely to think about travel again, even when it's not my trip!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
33,519 posts
98 reviews
90 helpful votes
10. Re: Italy 21 days
Save

sent you a pm

Reply to: Italy 21 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.