We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Italy in September 2021

Windsor, California
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Trip to Italy in September 2021
Save

Hi fellow travelers, I'm considering taking an 8 day guided tour in Italy in September. I've never flown Alitalia before. I have flown on Lufthansa and KLM in Europe previously, but don't know much about Alitalia. I'm debating between this trip and a 14 day trip through Ireland and Scotland. With that trip I would have to purchase my airfare separately. Aside from those mentioned above, which airlines do you recommend traveling to Edinburgh and home. Any airline to avoid? Any suggestions are most welcome!

Thank you for reading.

9 replies to this topic
Lake Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
484 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Trip to Italy in September 2021
Save

To be honest all the major airlines are the same at the end of the day. One person will swear that one airline is the best while someone else will swear they are just awful. All of them have their good flights and bad fights but the basic seat and meal service don't vary too much between any of them.

Unless there are major price reasons for doing otherwise I would choose whichever airline has the best schedule for you with the least stops and lay over time, that will make more of a difference than what airline you pick. If you can, pick a flight that has the transatlantic portion that ends in your destination, and at your home airport.

For example most direct transatlantic flights to Edinburgh will start from the East coast, so connect there and get straight into Edinburgh from the US rather than connecting in London, Dublin or some other European city. Conversely, on the way back (assuming you live in California) you might want to fly to connect in London or Dublin or some other European city. That way you can get the long flight back to the West coast and be home as soon as that is over, The reason is that after a long transatlantic journey it is tough to have to connect onto a short haul flight you are best to get that out if the way at the start of the day. Also, look out for the aircraft type. A wide body airplane is going to be a lot more comfortable than a narrow body (757) which is what some airlines fly from the US into Edinburgh,

Orange County...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
4,963 posts
24 reviews
49 helpful votes
2. Re: Trip to Italy in September 2021
Save

IME, Alitalia is fine. If travel opens up for US residents, and if Alitalia’s nonstop between SFO and Rome is operating, Alitalia is the way to go. I’ve flown with them many times and have always had a good experience.

If you decide on the Edinburgh trip, take a look at British Airways or another carrier with nonstop service from SFO to the UK mainland. I like to take a nonstop from the west coast to a city as close as possible to my destination because there is not much worse than flying to the US east coast only to be held up by a mechanical or other issue that results in a misconnect and an overnight delay halfway to my destination.

Mestre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Crete, Istria, Cres, Krk, Sicily
Level Contributor
22,260 posts
108 reviews
91 helpful votes
3. Re: Trip to Italy in September 2021
Save

Alitalia is ok as long as it flies. Sadly cannot cope with competition and has lost a lot of market.

Wells, Maine
Level Contributor
564 posts
54 reviews
34 helpful votes
4. Re: Trip to Italy in September 2021
Save

I have flown on a lot of airlines. I prefer Alitalia. Mostly because it flies directly from Boston to Rome. It has improved over the years also. I have rebooked for the third time and planning on September. Hears hoping.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Oman, California, Yukon, Chile, Argentina, Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,510 posts
7 reviews
9 helpful votes
5. Re: Trip to Italy in September 2021
Save

But don't book anything noncalable. It is by far not sure that the borders are open in September. To say, I doubt it will be possible.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
182 reviews
200 helpful votes
6. Re: Trip to Italy in September 2021
Save

We’ve flown Alitalia domestically in the EU and internationally, Rome to Mauritius and Chicago to Rome. We’ve always had good luck with them. We’ve found them more reliable than Air France.

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
6 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: Trip to Italy in September 2021
Save

September might be too early to undertake preparation and then follow through on them. How does the pandemic prevention strategies for the likelihood of being infected in either location make a difference? You might want to reschedule these plans for a more favorable time on the calendar. Services to be in place at either airport upon arrival and then departure does add up to more than size of crowds. As for knowing in advance which travel restrictions will be in place to prevent or cancel your travel plans is as much an issue as other aspects for this voyage raised in your request for advice. We might prefer to wait until next calendar year for undertaking these plans. Which airport services will be full operation for people then? It is more than having good luck with an airline to determine how others should make a choice, How does each airline deal with flight cancelations or alternative flight patterns? Inquire first.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14,283 posts
132 reviews
82 helpful votes
8. Re: Trip to Italy in September 2021
Save

Not sure if your question is truly about the airline or the trip.

I suggest you wait until next year as you will be travelling with all kinds of people from all over the world in a coach and not truly separated. Many areas of the world will not have been vaccinated yet in September.

As to the airlines, on the cheap fares they basically are all similar. I have found European airlines to be better than US airlines. A 7 day trip hardly makes it worth while by the time you get over jet lag.

Hold off until next year is my suggestion

Windsor, California
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
9. Re: Trip to Italy in September 2021
Save

Thank you everyone for your responses.I am grateful for all of you input and you've given me food for thought. It looks like I might have to wait until 2022.

Our plan next year is a trip to Portugal in September so I hope everyone is vaccinated and travel resumes. We still have our twice rescheduled Alaska cruise which will hopefully happen next year. I hope third time's a charm!

Thank you again for your help!

Reply to: Trip to Italy in September 2021
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.