We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2021 travel from the US

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2021 travel from the US
Save

Anyone else hoping to travel to Italy and other parts of Europe in 2021? I’m wanting to plan a trip for next summer but am so worried we may still be banned bc of Covid. If you’re traveling next summer how are you feeling/what are your thoughts? Anyone want to speculate on when the US will be allowed to visit again?

78 replies to this topic
Orange County...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
4,871 posts
24 reviews
49 helpful votes
1. Re: 2021 travel from the US
Save

I hope to return next year but do not want to speculate.

Keep an eye on this page: www.esteri.it/mae/en/ministero/normativaonline/decreto-iorestoacasa-domande-frequenti/focus-cittadini-italiani-in-rientro-dall-estero-e-cittadini-stranieri-in-italia.html

And this page: https://it.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
688 posts
2. Re: 2021 travel from the US
Save

Nobody knows but I don't think any of us should be travelling before there is a very low risk of transmission. I hope that's next year because I too am busting to travel. But I won't if there is no proven vaccine.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
3. Re: 2021 travel from the US
Save

Don't worry at all, just assume everything will be back to normal by next summer. Perhaps even earlier, but why worry if you don't want to travel before summer.

There is at least 1 country in Europe where US travellers are already welcome(as long as they can show a negative COVID test): Croatia

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/travel/video/american-tourists-visit-croatia-amid-pandemic-72025247

"Anyone want to speculate on when the US will be allowed to visit again?"

I bet that US travellers(and other Americans) will be allowed to visit EU countries(and many other European countries) even in this year with some restrictions(negative COVID test).

Edited: July 29, 2020, 10:00 am
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
7 posts
61 reviews
41 helpful votes
4. Re: 2021 travel from the US
Save

We are planning a trip knowing it is 50/50...airfare can be changed and all hotels can be cancelled 48-72 hours prior. I hate to plan this way but it is what it is. I hope and pray for the best.

5. Re: 2021 travel from the US

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: October 26, 2020, 10:42 pm

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
103,905 posts
442 reviews
362 helpful votes
6. Re: 2021 travel from the US
Save

I have no idea what will happen next year. Americans can travel to some countries at the moment, but next year anything is possible. I am not planning on taking any trips just yet. We were thinking of an Alaska cruise next year, but we don't want to cruise and we don't have a clue whether we'll be able to enter the US.

Wells, Maine
Level Contributor
532 posts
54 reviews
31 helpful votes
7. Re: 2021 travel from the US
Save

I go to Italy every year.except this year of course. I did get fully reimbursed for everything .so, I’m starting to plan for next May/June. With a few changes.i booked my Alitalia flight and will only fly business class nonstop to Rome and got a great price. Reserved my hotels with no prepay so I can change if I have to. Will use the voucher I got from Trentalia for train travel. I will only travel if there is a vaccine. I’m ready. If Italy decides they are not ready for Americans, ok. I’ll do it again for later. I have faith

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
447 reviews
300 helpful votes
8. Re: 2021 travel from the US
Save

At this point in time many questions have not been answered to our satisfaction. We are not willing to go foward with even preliminary planning let alone more excessive preparation for such a vacation since our preferences to remain free from any danger to our health is more important. We pay attention to reports from various locations and review travel restrictions. As for now we are cancelling any travel plans. Many geographic areas are not safe. Do not allow your preference for becoming enamored with travel to make the wrong decision concerning your health. You do not know the precautions that other fellow travelers will take and know about. Many of them might be foolish enough to travel for any reasons. Do not become so impatient that you become a patient. Stay home and remain informed about travel risks. We are not today automatically obligated to undertake a vacation for next year without safeguards already in place. You will be risking your health from so many directions just because others like you will not hesitate to undertake such risky adventures. Others like you who might want to travel just to get over the disappointment for having missed another opportunity more recently are setting a bad example called simple carelessness or blatant ignorance. .No harm in making a decision to remain at home. You do not want to mingle with others who flaunt their excitement for travel by disregarding or ignoring warnings. Becoming a victim for staying in contact with others who do not practice wisdom and total understanding about what little they know is not what you need. Stay away from places where cruise ships deliver and unload large groups of passengers. Why become one of many passengers in large groups of people traveling without knowing about the risks to their health on board a cruise ship willing to unload all passengers in one place and sail on for transporting others for the same reasons elsewhere? Remain at home and learn about the destinations you have in mind betaking courses at a university or by enrolling in a program that grants degeew with courses leading to a degree?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14,074 posts
132 reviews
82 helpful votes
9. Re: 2021 travel from the US
Save

ASSUME is the word. You have to ASSUME that everything will me OK. But then again you know what ASSUME means: it makes an *SS of U and ME.

Dallas, Texas
7 posts
10. Re: 2021 travel from the US
Save

We booked Italy for June 2021! No trepidation, we are excited! Got a great price and hoping it won’t be as crowded.

Edited: October 29, 2020, 3:43 am
Reply to: 2021 travel from the US
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
US$USD
Philippines
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.