We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Pisa airport to Chianti (town of Greva...

Santa Barbara
14 posts
Transportation from Pisa airport to Chianti (town of Greva...
Save

We will be arriving at the Pisa airport with 3 children and my in-laws in mid-September with a total group size of 7. We are going to the town of Greva in the Chianti region where we have a villa. We will be doing some days trips during our 2 week stay. We are debating on car rental vs. train. I need help with public transporation options from Pisa to Greva if we don't rent a car. Is it train and bus? How long? Prices? Which companies? Can't seem to find airport transporation on the web from Pisa. Any ideas on good private driving companys to pick us up and take to the Villa and then maybe a car rental later?

It seems 2 smaller cars is cheaper than one mini-van. How is gas these days? If we did train/bus from the airport would there later be easily accesible car rentals available near Greva?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
43 helpful votes
1. Re: Transportation from Pisa airport to Chianti (town of Greva...
Save

I think it's Greve rather than Greva.

There's a SITA bus from just opposite Florence station to Greve. Ticket prices are based on distance, and I don't know how many km it is from florence to greve, but the most expensive within the provincia (greve is in the same provincia as florence) is 5.70E single. the service number is 345 and it takes about an hour. The timetables are a bit complicated but they're here if you want to have a look: http://www.sita-on-line.it/sita-toscana/orari%20per%20zona/Vpesa/345.pdf (hope that works)

Pisa Airport has a train station with connections to Florence that take about 1hr and a half, I think, and cost 5E per person single.

It would certainly be easier to hire a car, I would have thought, but I think that's the best way by public transport.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
44 reviews
47 helpful votes
2. Re: Transportation from Pisa airport to Chianti (town of Greva...
Save

I would take the train to Florence and then rent a van or two cars. If you're going to do day trips around Chianti and Tuscany, the cars give you much more freedom as to when you leave, when you get back, and the areas you can explore. My wife and I took a lot of little sideroads and found some wonderful scenery and restaurants well off the beaten path.

Most likely the vehicles you'll rent will be diesel and stick shift. They get really good gas mileage.

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
26 helpful votes
3. Re: Transportation from Pisa airport to Chianti (town of Greva...
Save

Hi, we are also going in September to the Chianti region and can't deceide if to hire a car or to take the train, you can look at Trenitalia web site which you will find train times and can also pre book tickets the web address is www.trenitalia.com.

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
26 helpful votes
4. Re: Transportation from Pisa airport to Chianti (town of Greva...
Save

Hi again, if you also look at www.pisa-airport.com there is a lot of helpful information and it also lists bus routes & times and all the car hire company's that have desks inside pisa airport. Hope you sort it all out.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
20,517 posts
121 reviews
254 helpful votes
5. Re: Transportation from Pisa airport to Chianti (town of Greva...
Save

Is your villa going to be right in Greve? Greve is not all that large - population c.10,000 and if your villa is outside the town you will very probably need your own transport i.e. a car, unless you are very fortunate to be within walking distance of a bus route.

Car hire via Hertz is certainly available at Pisa airport, we have hired one from the airport on two occasions. There are several other car hire companies at the Pisa airport. Car hire in as small a place as Greve may be more difficult.

Gas - benzina - is not cheap by American standards.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.