We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

History of Nördlingen

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
History of Nördlingen

Nördlingen was not always a tourist center. Before 1960, it was a picturesque but not wealthy farm town with a monthly cattle and pig market, enclosed within the old walls, surrounded by hardworking farm villages.

For a wonderful view into the traditional daily life of Nördlingen as it was then, enjoy the 12-minute movie "German Farm Town" made by Ernest Kleinberg. This documentary captures everyday life both in the town and in a neighboring farm village and out in the fields, where potatoes were seeded by hand (and foot). Kleinberg's family has posted the film on Youtube: The Films of Ernest Kleinberg: German Farm Town. It's a beautiful and memorable view of the old way of life in this old town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i39sXkWGwfc

Kirchturm Daniel
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Historische Stadtmauer
Points of Interest & Landmarks
St. Georg Dom
Observation Decks & Towers
3 replies to this topic
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,137 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: History of Nördlingen

Nördlingen (and the same applies for Rothenburg ob der Tauber) were in medieval time medium sized cities. So approx. around rank 30 in the empire. They were also fairly rich otherwise they wouldn't have gained their status as free imperial cities and built the buildings one can still see. And they made their wealth mainly through trading. Both never recovered economically after the 30years war until they lost their independence to the kingdom of Bavaria. And due their remote location away from the big rail lines and at the edge of the kingdom the industrial revolution of the late 19th century also bypassed them. Albeit tourism already started around this time (Romanticism in Germany). Their economical decline is however a reason why they are so well preserved. There are 3 enemies of a medieval city: fire, war and wealth.

here something in German which also gives details about Nördlingen's economy in medieval times

historisches-lexikon-bayerns.de/artikel/…18

Mentioned in this post
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Middle Franconia, Germany
Bavaria
Bavaria
Germany
Germany
Germany
Europe
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,213 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: History of Nördlingen

those places weren't planned and built as tourist centers? I can hardly believe it, how amazing!!!

Thanks for telling me, after all I now will probably visit. Always thought those old European towns were like Disneyland.

I fully agree to what Abalada said.

Edited: October 26, 2014, 3:03 pm
Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,213 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: History of Nördlingen

This bloke should have made a documentary about town life at the same time. It would have been VERY different!

Reply to: History of Nördlingen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nordlingen