We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour of Honfleur/Deauville or Honfleur on our own

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
166 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Tour of Honfleur/Deauville or Honfleur on our own

Hi to all. Wife and I will be at Le Havre Port in July on a cruise. The cruise line offerss either a 5-hour tour of both Honfleur and Deauville or a 4 hour trip to explore Honfleur on oour own. The guided tour, cost aside, allows for about 1 hour walk in Honfleur and 30mins in Deauville. The on-your-own trip just takes you to Honfleur and back to the ship. We are wondering which will be more entertaining and interesting. Is it worth rushing through both Honfleur and Deauville or leisurely just explore Honfleur at our own pace. Right now, we are leaning towards just Honfleur to explore it on our own, but we would welcome expert advise. Thank you very much

Mentioned in this post
Le Havre
Le Havre
Seine-Maritime, France
Honfleur
Honfleur
Calvados, France
Deauville
Deauville
Calvados, France
12 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,451 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour of Honfleur/Deauville or Honfleur on our own

I certainly wouldn't rush to visit Deauville which is OK but hardly outstanding. Honfleur, on the other hand, is normally charming - although I have yet to experience it on a day when there is a cruise ship in.

Mentioned in this post
Deauville
Deauville
Calvados, France
Honfleur
Honfleur
Calvados, France
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,356 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour of Honfleur/Deauville or Honfleur on our own

Honfleur is just right for the time you have. It is a pretty little town and you certainly don't need a tour. I am fundamentally opposed to any trip plan that has me rushing about to tick off boxes. And being herded about in a large bus group is my idea of tourist hell. Take your time, get coffee by the harbor, stroll, check out the church. That is about it for Honfleur but it is a gorgeous little town. You can see my snapshots in my photo journal.

janettravels44

janettravels.wordpress.com

Mentioned in this post
Honfleur
Honfleur
Calvados, France
Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
166 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour of Honfleur/Deauville or Honfleur on our own

Thank you both so much for your informative answers. Honfleur it is then. Now another question - if I may impose upon you...

Ship Cruise: 4 hours, around 70 Euros (for 2 persons). Thus we get ONLY about 2.5 hours free in Honfleur. Ship will be docked though for 14 hours.

On our own: Taxi to and from Honfleur: 130 Euros - but much more free time.

So I am thinking to get a 1-way taxi, walk around, lunch etc etc and then get a taxi from Honfleur back to Le Havre.

My question: is it easy to secure a taxi from Honfleur back to Le Havre (e.g get one from the street) or do I need to book one in advance so as not run the rsik of the ship leaving.

A million thanx to all

Mentioned in this post
Honfleur
Honfleur
Calvados, France
Le Havre
Le Havre
Seine-Maritime, France
Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,507 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour of Honfleur/Deauville or Honfleur on our own

If the timing works there are buses between Le Havre and Honfleur (I believe it is bus #20). Check commentjyvais.com.

Mentioned in this post
Le Havre
Le Havre
Seine-Maritime, France
Honfleur
Honfleur
Calvados, France
Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour of Honfleur/Deauville or Honfleur on our own

It's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

The best option would be a guided tour of Honfleur then free time. You always get more from a visit with a guide. As they are offering guided tours of Honfleur and Deauville or free time in Honfleur , I'd probably lean towards free time in Honfleur.

Mentioned in this post
Honfleur
Honfleur
Calvados, France
Deauville
Deauville
Calvados, France
London, United...
Level Contributor
10,752 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour of Honfleur/Deauville or Honfleur on our own

If you’d like something fun and a little out of the ordinary then have a look at the rather eccentric Erik Satie Museum in Honfleur.

www.musees-honfleur.fr/maison-satie.html

Mentioned in this post
Honfleur
Honfleur
Calvados, France
Southern California
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour of Honfleur/Deauville or Honfleur on our own

We will be docked in Honfleur on Sept 8 on the Azamara Journey. We would like a tour for 4 to Giverny and Monet's house and gardens. I have contacted a couple private tour companies with no response. Any suggestions for a driver and/or guide are appreciated. We've been to Honfleur before so wanted to venture out to Giverny with some time at the end of the day to enjoy Honfleur again. Thank you...

Edited: June 12, 2018, 1:17 am
Mentioned in this post
Honfleur
Honfleur
Calvados, France
Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour of Honfleur/Deauville or Honfleur on our own

Suzylivs2cruse: adding an unrelated question to this thread isn't helpfull to you or the OP. Start a new question.

Virginia
Level Contributor
592 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour of Honfleur/Deauville or Honfleur on our own

OP you've made the right decision on sticking with just Honfleur. We really loved it. 4 hours is about right if you want to wander and have lunch. 2.5 hours is tight. You do not need a guide. So if you can swing for the private car, then do it. Regret I can't help with the ease of finding a taxi back.

Mentioned in this post
Honfleur
Honfleur
Calvados, France
Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour of Honfleur/Deauville or Honfleur on our own

How many hours waiting did the 130€ include.

There's a taxi rank in Honfleur by the Tourist office/ Mediateque. If there are none there, there is a number to call. Might be better to book one for a given time.

At the cruise center there will be a line of taxis waiting.

Edited: June 13, 2018, 12:14 am
Mentioned in this post
Honfleur
Honfleur
Calvados, France
Reply to: Tour of Honfleur/Deauville or Honfleur on our own
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Honfleur