We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need advice about getting from Perpignan to Villefranche

London, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
I need advice about getting from Perpignan to Villefranche

I'm staying in Perpignan from Saturday June 23rd (arriving late afternoon) to Tuesday June 26th.

The main thing I want to do is ride on the 'Little Yellow Train', but to do this, I believe I have to get to Villefranche-de-Conflent, but I can't drive, so I need to use public transport. Unfortunately, I'm finding it hard to find up-to-date bus and train timetables on the Internet. So I'd be grateful if anyone here can answer a few questions:

1) I believe the Little Yellow Train runs on a Sunday, and if so, I'd like to do the trip on Sunday June 24th, so if anything goes wrong, I still have another chance on Monday. Can you get a bus or train from Perpignan on a Sunday early enough to connect with the train?

2) Which bus station does the bus to Villefranche-de-Conflent go from? I notice there is a bus station near the railway station, just off Avenue Joseph Roux - is that the one?

3) I heard that the train from Perpignan to Villefranche-de-Conflent was not running, because of a court case regarding an accident. Has it started to run yet?

I'd be grateful for any advice anyone can give me with this.

Mentioned in this post
Perpignan
Perpignan
Pyrenees-Orientales, France
5 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,473 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need advice about getting from Perpignan to Villefranche

Sunday and Monday timings:

Perpignan SNCF dep 08h16 (CAR), Villefranche-VLB arr 09h20, dep 09h58, La-Tour-de-Carol-Enveitg arr 13h11

La-Tour-de-Carol-Enveitg dep 15h13, Villefranche-VLB arr 18h34, dep 18h45 (CAR), Perpignan arr 19h57

The CAR departs from the forecourt of Perpignan SNCF station - don't forget to validate your ticket in the station before boarding the bus and again at La-Tour-de-Carol-Env for the return journey.

I don't think that these are strike days but if either of them are the Train Jaune is likely to be a bus.

Mentioned in this post
Perpignan
Perpignan
Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,001 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need advice about getting from Perpignan to Villefranche

On item (3) in the first post you are correct. The railway has been closed by court order for some months now following a collision between a train and a school bus, resulting in several deaths.

The entire rail service is replaced by buses. You need a valid train ticket to travel on the these as advised. The most recent version of this 'temporary' timetable can be downloaded at https:/…202018_tcm76-136387_tcm76-193742.pdf

There is no information as to when or even if trains will run again.

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I need advice about getting from Perpignan to Villefranche

Thank you all for your advice. Just one more question: does the replacement bus service go from the railway station?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,001 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I need advice about getting from Perpignan to Villefranche

As far as I know the bus goes from the adjacent bus station but it's big, so get there in good time to find the correct stop or ask at the ticket office.

I should hope also there would be some kind of signs directing people to the right place!

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I need advice about getting from Perpignan to Villefranche

Thanks.

Reply to: I need advice about getting from Perpignan to Villefranche
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Perpignan