We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Musee d 'Orsay or the Louvre

tel aviv
Level Contributor
170 posts
7 reviews
14 helpful votes
Musee d 'Orsay or the Louvre
Save

Any advice if only go to visit one of these two museums? Which is recommended more for people who are not experts on art?!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
164 posts
9 reviews
33 helpful votes
1. Re: Musee d 'Orsay or the Louvre
Save

I think the d'Orsay is more accessible for people with a general interest in art, but not a specific love of a period (Renaissance, etc). It is smaller and easier to get around. The building itself is also quite beautiful. If I had to choose, I would pick the d'Orsay, especially as more people I know prefer it to the Louvre. I am grateful I do not have to choose, however. : )

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
20 reviews
75 helpful votes
2. Re: Musee d 'Orsay or the Louvre
Save

Dear sivan....another vote for d'Orsay. Totally agree with the previous poster.

Denise

love from england

North Carolina
Level Contributor
537 posts
4 reviews
13 helpful votes
3. Re: Musee d 'Orsay or the Louvre
Save

To come all that way and if you never get back...my vote is try to do both. Spend more time at the D'Orsay perhaps, but go to the Louvre and see the "greatest hits" if nothing else (Mona, Venus, Winged Victory.) You can say you've been there, then!

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
158 reviews
56 helpful votes
4. Re: Musee d 'Orsay or the Louvre
Save

WoW that would be a hard decision for me ....I love them both!

The Napoleon rooms in the Louvre are beautiful. You may want to see them. The Objects of Arts in the Louvre (nearby the rooms) is also very beautiful.

I don't think you can go wrong with a visit to either.

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,350 posts
63 reviews
54 helpful votes
5. Re: Musee d 'Orsay or the Louvre
Save

I suggest you go on line and see what each of the two museums has to offer and then decide what you would prefer to see. Each of us has our own opinion of what we prefer but I don't see how that helps you.

I much prefer the D'Orsay. The building itself is beautiful and I love impressionist art so some of the greats I studied in my Art History class in college are hanging in their full glory on the top floor of the D'Orsay.

At the same time, I just can't imagine going to Paris and not seeing at least the Mona Lisa at the Louvre and perhaps Napoleon's apartments, among other things. I took my 15 year old son to Paris 7 years ago and he had no interest in art (after a college Art History class he is now interested). I required that he go to the Louvre to see the Mona Lisa and the Venus de Milo. We walked in, passed the Venus de Milo, went up to the Mona Lisa, viewed it, and then left the Louvre.

How long will you be in Paris? What else do you plan to see? Perhaps you can see one or both of these museums on the way to see something else.

California
Level Contributor
602 posts
15 reviews
36 helpful votes
6. Re: Musee d 'Orsay or the Louvre
Save

The d'Orsay! Smaller and more manageable.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
36 reviews
57 helpful votes
7. Re: Musee d 'Orsay or the Louvre
Save

Sivan,

It really depends on what you want to see. The Louvre is breathtaking, the d'Orsay smaller and more manageable.

My favorite museum in Paris is the Rodin. It's a lovely little gem of a museum located in Rodin's house. The gardens with his sculptures are wonderful and this little place is very managageable to do in just a few hours. Just a thought.

Have a great trip.

Vicki

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
158 reviews
56 helpful votes
8. Re: Musee d 'Orsay or the Louvre
Save

HI "Vickie" nice to see you posting again!

Mykonos, Greece
Level Contributor
558 posts
6 reviews
20 helpful votes
9. Re: Musee d 'Orsay or the Louvre
Save

We'll I'll cast a vote in the other direction. To me, the d'Orsay is full of art, but the Louvre is full of history. Being a history buff, the Louvre is more up my alley. So depending on what you think you'd enjoy seeing, take that into consideration.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
537 posts
4 reviews
13 helpful votes
10. Re: Musee d 'Orsay or the Louvre
Save

I agree with Luggage. Loved the d'Orsay, but found ourselves going back to the Louvre several times to see more. The paintings are just magnificent (as at d'Orsay.) Maybe it's the setting. Following a brilliant day of art, exiting through the pyramid, feeling the atmosphere of the courtyard surrounded by the palace oozing history, walking through the Tuilleries toward Concorde to watch the E.T. twinkle. It's a special place.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.