We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting off a TGV to take a TER to Colmar with only 10 mins

Maryland
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Getting off a TGV to take a TER to Colmar with only 10 mins

I have my tickets and we'll be at the station in about a week from now. Navigating to the platform in such a short window of time worries me. Platforms not known or posted on line, on the tickets etc?

5 replies to this topic
Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
8,791 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting off a TGV to take a TER to Colmar with only 10 mins

This is a normal connection (in Strasbourg I presume?). The departure platform is usually announced on the TGV just before arrival in Strasbourg. If not, just look at the indicators on the arrival platform. I would be very surprised if you were the only passenger making this connection. It takes about 2 or 3 minutes to go from one platform to another.

Mentioned in this post
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting off a TGV to take a TER to Colmar with only 10 mins

In addition to tradeforms good advice, here is a link to see live times and platforms at Strasbourg station

https:/…strasbourg

If you are not changing at Strasbourg, just put the correct station in.

Assuming you can access the link live as you travel, you will be able to see the platform your train comes in on and the Colmar TER departs from, ahead of arrival. I have used this to ease some angst with short connection times, 5 or 6 min sometimes. With 10 min you have plenty of time.

Mentioned in this post
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Colmar
Colmar
Haut-Rhin, France
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,071 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting off a TGV to take a TER to Colmar with only 10 mins

We just had such a transfer in Rennes from TER to TGV with only ten minutes and there was no problem. Most train stations just have a few platforms and so you just need to check the sign board and hurry. You should be at the end of the car with your luggage ready to roll when it comes to a stop. You have to go to the head of the platform to move to another platform and there will be signs there announcing the platforms for other trains. Be sure you know your train number or end point since Colmar may not be the train destination.

Edited: June 07, 2018, 11:20 pm
Mentioned in this post
Rennes
Rennes
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Colmar
Colmar
Haut-Rhin, France
Maryland
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting off a TGV to take a TER to Colmar with only 10 mins

Thanks for all the help everyone! Great information.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,153 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting off a TGV to take a TER to Colmar with only 10 mins

There will be plenty of others on the TGV making the same connection. Normally if the TGV is a little late the TER will wait for people to make the connection, although with a TER roughly every half hour for most of the day you won't have long to wait even if the TGV is badly delayed en route.

Reply to: Getting off a TGV to take a TER to Colmar with only 10 mins
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Strasbourg