We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comparing the Strasbourg Christmas Market to others

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Comparing the Strasbourg Christmas Market to others

For years, I have wanted to visit a Christmas Market in Europe. The ones in Germany, Dresden and Nuremberg in particular, seemed very appealing. This year, I will have the opportunity to travel to e western Germany in early December. From reviewing lists of the best Christmas markets, paying close attention to where in Germany I would be visiting (Trier), I saw a new (for me) name on the list of best Christmas markets: Strasbourg.

Strasbourg would be a lot closer to where I would be than the most renowned of the German Christmas markets. So my question is this: how does the Strasbourg Christmas market compare and contrast to the best of the German Christmas markets? If I can only do one, should it be Strasbourg? Or should I make the trek to Nuremberg?

I know this is Strasbourg forum and the opinions will be biased, but I still want to read those opinions.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Germany
Germany
Europe
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Nuremberg
Nuremberg
Middle Franconia, Germany
Trier
Trier
Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Black Forest and Strasbourg Day Trip...
139 Reviews
from US$267.50*
Alsace Day Trip from Strasbourg...
102 Reviews
from US$154.50*
Free Cancellation
Alsace Wine Route: Tasting Tour from...
36 Reviews
from US$154.50*
Free Cancellation
5 replies to this topic
Strasbourg, France
Level Contributor
370 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comparing the Strasbourg Christmas Market to others

The one in Trier is pretty ..Strasbourg is known for his chrismas market it's a old tradition here and it's a must do ....it's the best of German ones with an extra taste ...France !!

Mentioned in this post
Trier
Trier
Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
France
France
Europe
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comparing the Strasbourg Christmas Market to others

Several year ago I went to the Strasbourg Christmas market after having been at ones in Munich and Salzburg. I was more impressed with the others than with Strasbourg. But that's not saying I didn't enjoy the Strasbourg market; I did.

Mentioned in this post
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Strasbourg, France
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Comparing the Strasbourg Christmas Market to others

I have visited both Cristmas markets Strasbourg and Nuremberg. If you are close to Strasbourg and far from Nuremberg, there is no real need to go to Nuremberg, the Nuremberg market is not that much better than the Strasbourg one.

I personally find Christmas markets in small towns often even more appealing than markets in big cities. For example, there is a nice small town Christmas market in Gengenbach, which is in Germany not far from Strasbourg.

Mentioned in this post
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Nuremberg
Nuremberg
Middle Franconia, Germany
Germany
Germany
Europe
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comparing the Strasbourg Christmas Market to others

Thank you for the useful information. The reference to seeking out Christmas markets in smaller cities made me remember the fact that I hate huge crowds, which also is something to factor into the equation.

Strasbourg, France
Level Contributor
370 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comparing the Strasbourg Christmas Market to others

Sometime small towns are crowdier than big ones ;)

Reply to: Comparing the Strasbourg Christmas Market to others
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Strasbourg