We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strasbourg with teens

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Strasbourg with teens

We will be in Bayeux for 2 nights and from there plan to go to Paris for an afternoon bike tour and possibly 1 night. I'm looking for another destination in France to stay for a few days before heading to Barcelona. Strasbourg sounds interesting and it would be nice to be able to take a day trip into Germany. My in-laws were German and my husband, although born in the states, is a German citizen and I know it would be special to him to do that. It's not a must, but one reason why I'm considering Strasbourg. I'm only concerned about the kids getting bored. The boys are 14 and their only real interests right now are soccer and video games. In their words they want to "do stuff, not just look at stuff". Our daughter is 15 and more into music, art, taking pictures and recently skateboarding. Is there enough to do in or near Strasbourg for teens or should I consider another area? We don't want to stay in Paris. We will not have a car.

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France
France
Europe
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Germany
Germany
Europe
8 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Strasbourg with teens

I forgot to mention we will be traveling in July. We are leaving Bayeux on July 12 and plan to be in Barcelona area sometime around July 18. Our flight leaves July 25.

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Barcelona
Barcelona
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strasbourg with teens

I think France may be larger than you think. Bayeux is on the North Coast.. Strasbourg 2hrs by high speed train to the east of paris. Plus...Germany isn't something you can do a day trip to. You can spend a week in Bavaria and still not get a full experience.

Also...plenty to do in Paris for 3 days.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Bavaria
Bavaria
Germany
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Strasbourg with teens

I know it's a 2hr 11 min train from Bayeux to Paris and then I believe 1 hr 45min from Paris to Strasbourg. I'm thinking about staying in Strasbourg for 4-5 nights and taking a train to Kehl and maybe Heidelberg as a day trip. I know Heidelberg is at least 2 hours so that would depend on how everyone is feeling about it at the time. We won't go any farther into Germany then that. From Strasbourg, we would go back to Paris and spend 1 night before taking a night train to Toulouse or Latour de Carol and from there head to Girona where we will stay until we leave from Barcelona. Paris is expensive and were not interested in staying more then 1 night. Also, I want to feel comfortable letting the kids wander some on their own. The first thing the boys will do at any destination is look for a park to play soccer and where to watch the world cup matches on the 14th & 15th. Museums won't keep their interest for long. We are doing a full day D-day tour of Normandy in Bayeux and I'm trying to mix up the sightseeing with opportunities for them to be more active. We will be doing some climbing by the sea near Girona and visiting the beach, towards the end of the trip.

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Heidelberg
Heidelberg
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Germany
Germany
Europe
Toulouse
Toulouse
Haute-Garonne, France
Girona
Girona
Province of Girona, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Strasbourg, France
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Strasbourg with teens

Strasbourg is a big city, so there are a lot of activities for young people. The old town is very scenic and there is also a modern art museum, so no problems for art and taking pictures.

Possible activities for young people and doable by public transport include (even though they are not all really typical for the region):

Europark at Rust in Germany, https://www.europapark.de/en

Naturaparc at Ostwald, a suburb of Strasbourg, https://www.naturaparc.com/

Haut Koenigsbourg castle, http://www.haut-koenigsbourg.fr/en/

In some parcs in Strasbourg, there are small soccer fields which can be used by everyone.

The world cup matches are normally shown on big screens on some public places. Not sure what is planned for Strasbourg this year, but there is always a big screen on the central place at Kehl.

Kehl is interesting as a border town and for seeing the Rhine river, but not very beautiful or typically German. The next small town which is more typically German is Offenburg. Freiburg is also very nice, if you don't want to go as far as Heidelberg.

Mentioned in this post
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Rust
Rust
Germany
Germany
Europe
Ostwald
Ostwald
Strasbourg, France
Offenburg
Offenburg
Heidelberg
Heidelberg
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Strasbourg with teens

Thank you for the info. After looking into prices and travel time, I don't think we will be going to Strasbourg or Germany. I think a better choice will be to stay closer to Paris in a town that can be accessed by a local train.

Mentioned in this post
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Germany
Germany
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,517 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Strasbourg with teens

Not sure if this would make you change your mind: you could go to Strasbourg and at the end of your stay fly from Karlsruhe-Baden-Baden to Girona with Ryanair.

Here's information about how to get to the airport from Strasbourg

https:/…

That certainly simplifies things for you at the Spanish end

Strasbourg is a mix of French and German culture and that whole area, both sides of the border, is full of delights

Edited: March 27, 2018, 2:22 am
Mentioned in this post
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Karlsruhe
Karlsruhe
Baden-Baden
Baden-Baden
Girona
Girona
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Strasbourg with teens

I looked into flying to Girona, but the cost adds up with budget airlines when you factor in luggage. I actually love to fly (my husband and I were aircraft mechanics for a while), but airports themselves just cause me stress with all the rules about packing, security and keeping an eye on all our belongings. I never sleep the night before a flight. IRight now, Im leaning towards 1 night in Paris then a train to Saint Jean de Luz for a few nights then to Girona through Spain. We bought this airfare because the price was good and without a specific plan. My husband has been to Germany as a child and through the military. The kids and I have never been to Europe so anywhere we go will be new and exciting to us.

Mentioned in this post
Girona
Girona
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Saint-Jean-de-Luz
Saint-Jean-de-Luz
Basque Country, France
Spain
Spain
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
212 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Strasbourg with teens

Hi Pam P--

Your trip sounds exciting! My tween and teen girls and I have spent two weeks in Paris and still didn't feel like we saw everything and our friend's have teen boys who have also spent a lot of time there and loved it.

We just returned from a trip to Paris, Strasbourg, Brussels, and Ghent in January and loved all four of those cities. We didn't think Paris was any more expensive than other parts of Europe. I let my 13 and 15 year olds go on the Metro as long as they have a fully charged phone with them and know where they're going. Paris might have more to see and do for 14 year old boys and a 15 year old girl than many other places. Your kids might like a day trip to Versailles or the Loire Valley.

If you want to stay in France, you might enjoy taking a train to Marseilles, Carcassone, Bandol, Cannes, Nice or even a ferry to Corsica if you're feeling adventurous (one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen... with beaches, snorkeling, fishing, boating, etc.). Wherever you end up going, you'll have a wonderful time!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Ghent
Ghent