We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Brighton to Edinburgh- where to stop on way?

Brighton, United...
4 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
Driving from Brighton to Edinburgh- where to stop on way?
Save

Hello

I’m planning a road trip to Edinburgh and wondered whether we should stop somewhere halfway for one night, to break up the long journey.

Can anyone suggest somewhere nice to visit and sleep over for the night?

Or should we just go for it and drive all the way (with stops along the way)

Thank you

14 replies to this topic
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
1. Re: Driving from Brighton to Edinburgh- where to stop on way?
Save

Whether you want to do it in one go depends on a number of things.

Looking at about nine hours driving.

If going up the west you could consider the Lake District and if the east then Durham.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
703 reviews
737 helpful votes
2. Re: Driving from Brighton to Edinburgh- where to stop on way?
Save

Re going up the eastern route, you could look at Yorkshire - around Fountains Abbey/Studley Royal, a World Heritage Site.Well worth a visit and I'm sure you'll get some nice accommodation in the wider area.There's also York itself.

If you don't mind a little bit more of a detour you could also nip into the lovely Yorkshire Dales.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
7,581 posts
117 reviews
118 helpful votes
3. Re: Driving from Brighton to Edinburgh- where to stop on way?
Save

If you have 2 drivers I would get it over with in one day. We've done similar distances in the past and, although it's a long day, it avoids losing another day to travelling. Start early so you are past London before rushhour.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16,695 posts
65 reviews
27 helpful votes
4. Re: Driving from Brighton to Edinburgh- where to stop on way?
Save

You don't need a car in Edinburgh, parking is even worse than it is in Brighton. If you're only coming to stay in Edinburgh then I'd seriously look at flying from Gatwick and reclaim 2 or more days of your holiday.

Edited: May 17, 2021, 4:28 pm
Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
17,653 posts
42 reviews
109 helpful votes
5. Re: Driving from Brighton to Edinburgh- where to stop on way?
Save

How many is 'we'. If kids on board 465 miles is a long schlep in one day.

If you do stop overnight en route, do it around 2 thirds rather than half way.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,072 posts
148 reviews
41 helpful votes
6. Re: Driving from Brighton to Edinburgh- where to stop on way?
Save

Leave the car and take the train.

Yup it is a long day BUT unless you have amazing recovery powers you will be still tired the next day. The suggested time doesn't include stops, traffic hold ups or anything else.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
13,880 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: Driving from Brighton to Edinburgh- where to stop on way?
Save

I have driven from Brighton to Edinburgh (well Peebles actually but that isn't far short) in the past in one day in winter and with snow on the ground in Scotland. It is perfectly practical provided that you make a start early enough to have got past the M25 (west side preferred) before the morning rush hour is fully under way there.

I am used to driving sufficiently long distances in France to make an overnight en route stop almost obligatory but my preference would be to avoid it here if possible.

Banchory, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
25,036 posts
151 reviews
186 helpful votes
8. Re: Driving from Brighton to Edinburgh- where to stop on way?
Save

I agree, leave the car at home. A car in Edinburgh is just a hinderance and also, you would need to find accommodation that has parking, never book without checking that out.. Fly or take the train and you will be more relaxed and not tired from all the driving and have extra days on your holiday.

We took a cruise from Southampton and got a free coach trip from Edinburgh to Southampton and back included in the deal. Going at night, was bad enough, but coming back during the day, we left at 9.00am and got into Edinburgh at 9.00pm, was a total nightmare. Never again.

London, United...
Level Contributor
7,422 posts
75 reviews
44 helpful votes
9. Re: Driving from Brighton to Edinburgh- where to stop on way?
Save

One option would be to head for York on day one and you should be able to have an afternoon and evening in York which is a bit over halfway to Edinburgh

On day two I would head up the A1M to about Darlington and then take the A68 all the way to Edinburgh. It is a quieter route going through the Kielder Forest and follows the old Roman road across the moorlands of Northumbria and southern Scotland for part of the way.

I find the coastal route of the A1 too full of heavy lorries to be a nice drive.

But if you are just doing Edinburgh and do not need the car when you get there , then take the train or fly. Edinburgh is zero fun to drive in.

Edited: May 17, 2021, 5:19 pm
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
106,319 posts
440 reviews
362 helpful votes
10. Re: Driving from Brighton to Edinburgh- where to stop on way?
Save

I drove to Edinburgh once and vowed never o do it again. Having said that, for me a road trip is all about stopping off at interesting places en route, so I would consider driving up if I was interested in, say, a day or two in the Peak District, North Yorkshire or Northumberland.

If I wasn't too bothered and I was thinking of just getting to Edinburgh in one day, then I'd take the train, no question.

Reply to: Driving from Brighton to Edinburgh- where to stop on way?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Edinburgh
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.