We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week itinerary help please

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
One week itinerary help please
Save

Hi everyone,

I was hoping for some suggestions of where to visit on our 1 week trip to Scotland.

We'd be starting with three nights in Edinburgh with friends but then me and my partner want to go onto somewhere else for four days. We plan to hire a car in Edinburgh and then fly back from there so places within driving distance of Edinburgh please? I'm initially thinking of just spending the four days in Loch Lomond? Any suggestions for a good base? I've looked at Luss, Callander and Drymen so far.

Alternatively we could split it and do two nights in one place and two nights in another. That might feel rushed/annoying to keep packing up though so maybe a base we could do day trips with the car from would be better?

We're looking mostly for nice scenery where we can go for walks, runs or even hire bikes to cycle. Entertainment wise no night life just nice pubs or restaurants (we don't want high end) that we can go to for an evening meal. We both like history too.

Any suggestions to help me narrow down some places would be amazing, thank you in advance!

22 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1. Re: One week itinerary help please
Save

Oh also what do people think of somewhere in Cairngorms as an alternative to Loch Lomond?

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
2. Re: One week itinerary help please
Save

Callander would make a decent base. For the Cairngorms area consider Aviemore, lots to see and do in the area and you can get there by train if you fancy.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16,695 posts
65 reviews
27 helpful votes
3. Re: One week itinerary help please
Save

I agree with you about keeping to one other base, i don't think it's much of a holiday to be constantly packing and unpacking and if you're based in London it's not like this has to be a one in a lifetime trip to fit everything in. Callander is a lovely little market town, quite touristy but the passing "road trippers" and coach parties are probably less prevalent at the moment so could make a good base. You could stop off at Stirling on the way there or back for a fix of history.

Aviemore would also be a top choice for me and would definitely meet your outdoor activity needs.

Hiring the car from the airport as you leave Edinburgh is easiest and gives you the best choice of rental companies.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
15 reviews
12 helpful votes
4. Re: One week itinerary help please
Save

Oban is always popular with the option of visiting Mull one day.

If you decide on 2 places look at Kenmore which is much quieter or Pitlochry which is busier.

Edited: May 14, 2021, 9:56 pm
Glasgow
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
15 reviews
12 helpful votes
5. Re: One week itinerary help please
Save

For the car check out Arnold Clark Car Hire,a well regarded Scottish company.

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
6. Re: One week itinerary help please
Save

Thanks Baggagehaul! I'll definitely look into Aviemore too!

Scenery wise is there much between Loch Lomond and Cairngorms? I'm guessing they're both going to be lovely but any advantages to one over the other would you say?

Edited: May 14, 2021, 10:34 pm
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
7. Re: One week itinerary help please
Save

You could have a look at Street map views to get an idea. I think the Aviemore area may have the advantage for you in terms of what you are after.

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
8. Re: One week itinerary help please
Save

Thank you edinem! I think you're right, a week isn't that long and I'm not sure I want to cram in three hotels in that short time! Plus with having a hire car we have the opportunity to do lots of sideways exploring from wherever we are! It's tempting to cram in as much as possible but I think after three days in Edinburgh we'll want a slightly slower pace and mostly just want some lovely scenery.

I'll definitely look into Aviemore some more!

Yes I was looking at airport car hire as although we'll be in the city centre the day we want to collect it, it'll be easier to head straight to the airport to return it the day we fly back and it seems like an easy tram ride from the city centre to the airport to pick a car up.

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
9. Re: One week itinerary help please
Save

Thank you kenko92 - I'll have a look at all those places you mentioned! I do like the idea of heading to Mull or one of the islands for the day!

Thanks for the recommendation for Arnold Clark, they're coming up much cheaper than the big brands and I was a bit put off by the reviews of easirent and the other cheaper options!

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
10. Re: One week itinerary help please
Save

"I was a bit put off by the reviews of easirent and the other cheaper options!"

Easirent and Greenmotion are the ones to avoid.

If you want to know why do a search on here and you will find many stories that should convince you to hire from neither.

Reply to: One week itinerary help please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.