We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort William B&B ranks in TA list as #6...in the world!

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
13,646 posts
177 reviews
148 helpful votes
Fort William B&B ranks in TA list as #6...in the world!
Save

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/TravelersChoice-Hotels-cInnsBB

They probably don't need more advertising but given the comments on the forum recently it's nice to see that there is something good about Fort William. OK, so it's not in the centre but it will have spectacular views of the loch and maybe some good publicity for the town will help ?

17 replies to this topic
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
1. Re: Fort William B&B ranks in TA list as #6...in the world!
Save

Do people take these sort of "surveys" seriously?

I am sure the B&B is very nice but this is just one of the many ways TA finds to promote itself.

Fort William has plenty of detractors and perhaps not so many defenders but it certainly benefits from a fantastic location.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
13,646 posts
177 reviews
148 helpful votes
2. Re: Fort William B&B ranks in TA list as #6...in the world!
Save

Nah, I never go and search for them to read them! It just popped up on my newsfeed! However, I will read recent reviews on any place I'm looking at staying and decide for myself.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Fort William B&B ranks in TA list as #6...in the world!
Save

Baggagehaul beat me to it. I'm sure this place is very nice but I did check the map before accepting TA's word that it is in Fort William. The listings and reviews are full of places that are duplicated or listed in wrong towns. There are loads of hotels listed as restaurants - and vice versa. The people who start listings or leave reviews are often clueless, many owners really don't care what TA say because of the mistakes and TA does nothing to hunt down mistakes. I had a row with some TA staff about a pub with a big sign outside saying "TA #1 restaurant in town...." because it wasn't in the town, it was a £20 taxi ride away! That unravelled to show that half on the top 15 weren't in the town, but TA can't cope with the concept of british postal addresses showing the town where Royal Mail do the sorting. And then we moved on to the people leaving reviews against properties with the same name as where they stayed which aren't even in the same county!!! TA rankings are pointless, read the reviews, look for the stupid and always check the address.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
13,646 posts
177 reviews
148 helpful votes
4. Re: Fort William B&B ranks in TA list as #6...in the world!
Save

< I did check the map before accepting TA's word that it is in Fort William.>>

So did I, and it is!

Edited: May 14, 2021, 6:54 pm
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
106,307 posts
440 reviews
362 helpful votes
5. Re: Fort William B&B ranks in TA list as #6...in the world!
Save

>>>Do people take these sort of "surveys" seriously?<<<

I don't. It's all marketing nonsense to me. My approach is almost always to find places I like the look of, that are in the right place for my needs and at a price that I consider offers good value. Review sites can help me to make a final decision, but other factors also apply and details help enormously.

Top 10's, ratings and rankings and all that malarkey leaves me cold if I'm honest. We have approached Fort William from the south and we did notice that many places along that road look very nice indeed, at least from the outside.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
41,501 posts
6. Re: Fort William B&B ranks in TA list as #6...in the world!
Save

Many congratulations to Torlinnhe Guest House.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
146 reviews
76 helpful votes
7. Re: Fort William B&B ranks in TA list as #6...in the world!
Save

Thanks for sharing Woodybark.

I don’t take these lists seriously either - but having looked at its reviews it does look nice, and as someone who has sometimes struggled to find nice B&Bs in/near Fort William in the past it’s nice to be aware of another option.

For what it’s worth, I have in the past stayed at Huntingtower Lodge, just south of Fort William, and it was very nice, so not suggesting there are no good options, just I suspect they get booked up.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,852 posts
703 reviews
737 helpful votes
8. Re: Fort William B&B ranks in TA list as #6...in the world!
Save

I knew one or two enthusiasts re The Fort would post this - surprised it took so long 😃

Great marketing for that guesthouse, they'll be stowed out now - if they weren't before!

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
13,646 posts
177 reviews
148 helpful votes
9. Re: Fort William B&B ranks in TA list as #6...in the world!
Save

Always happy to make your day @Scotlandmac!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
7,571 posts
61 reviews
43 helpful votes
10. Re: Fort William B&B ranks in TA list as #6...in the world!
Save

I once stayed in a lovely quiet B&B in Ludlow and half the reviews were for a noisy pub! The owner said they'd given up trying to get TA to sort it--I wonder if an action for trade libel might have helped? ;-)

Reply to: Fort William B&B ranks in TA list as #6...in the world!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.