We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi reservation required?

Colorado
Level Contributor
187 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi reservation required?

Arriving at Cardiff Central station around 8:30pm. We will need to take a taxi to our accommodation near Radyr (Gelynis Farm). Do I need to make a reservation ahead of time or will there be taxi's there ready for hire?

Thank you!!

Mentioned in this post
Cardiff
Cardiff
South Wales, UK
7 replies to this topic
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi reservation required?

What day are you arriving? Almost always rows of taxis available unless there is a major event on.

Colorado
Level Contributor
187 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi reservation required?

Arriving Monday 9 July , 8:30pm or so.

Edited: June 09, 2018, 5:47 am
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi reservation required?

You’ll have no problem. Head out the main entrance of the station and there is a taxi rank on the right.

Colorado
Level Contributor
187 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi reservation required?

Thank you Rock_30!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
581 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi reservation required?

I’ve been taking a taxi at Central Station every Friday evening at about 8.50pm for the last 2 years. No reservations needed as advised above.

You fo need to know that the queuing for the taxis can occasionally be a bit haphazard. (I know, not like Brits to be unable to form a queue properly). It can be a little haphazard because the taxis and customers usually ignore the sign that says “queue here” and instead form a queue immediately outside the doors from the station entrance hall.

As a first timer you might be tempted to queue at the sign. However, when you leave the station, on the rhs, you will see the queue. If there’s no one there, you are the queue and you’re 1st.

There are always plenty of taxis lined up on the approach and there is usually someone directing you to the next taxi. Enjoy your trip!

Edited: June 10, 2018, 4:16 pm
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi reservation required?

"You fo need to know that the queuing for the taxis can occasionally be a bit haphazard. (I know, not like Brits to be unable to form a queue properly). It can be a little haphazard because the taxis and customers usually ignore the sign that says “queue here” and instead form a queue immediately outside the doors from the station entrance hall."

Wasn't even aware there was a sign that says 'queue here'. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to queue there? The main problem is that the taxis don't just line up and you get in the front one, sometimes one randomly parked in the middle of the road has been designated the next available by some taxi driver code of which I am obviously unaware...

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
581 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi reservation required?

Morning corn. Occasionally people do queue at the sign. A few weeks ago I called across to a lady (a visitor) who stood there on her own whilst the real queue was just outside the doors. (I haven’t quite worked out how the taxis waiting in the hammerhead fit into the scheme of things, but I’ve only been studying it for 2 years. I will let you know when I learn.)

Occasionally too, people walk out of the entrance hall, straight past the half dozen people standing in the queue, and up to the first empty taxi on the access road. The taxi driver invariably points out the queue to the jumper. A Brit queue that has been jumped is a very dangerous beast.

Reply to: Taxi reservation required?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cardiff