We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cotswould to Bath

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
140 posts
Cotswould to Bath
Save

Hi guys, am thinking of doing the following trip, plse advise if it makes sense:-

Chipping Camden ( 2 nights), from there not sure where to spend another night on route to London. Am thinking of Bath (stay for one night) , where we can drop off our rental vehicle and take the train back to London or should we skip Bath and spend the nite in Oxford instead and take the train from there to London.

Many Thanks

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
17,136 posts
65 reviews
45 helpful votes
1. Re: Cotswould to Bath
Save

First question, where are you hiring the car from ? there may be a (large) extra payment if you don't return it to the pickup point.

Bath knocks the spots off Oxford.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
839 posts
99 reviews
153 helpful votes
2. Re: Cotswould to Bath
Save

gailrr,

When we went to the Cotswolds, we also went up to Stratford upon Avon, and then dropped our rental car off right next to Oxford Train Station. and took the train to London. We really loved Oxford as well as the Cotswolds.

We took a separate trip by train to Bath. We hired a car there too but spent several days exploring down as far as Devon. It worked well.

If you didn't have enough time perhaps on this trip just stick to the Cotswolds and Oxford.

Edited: 10 years ago
kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
140 posts
3. Re: Cotswould to Bath
Save

Thanks guys for the feedback. I guess that's exactly what i have to do, to take off Bath from my list and save it for my next trip. We will be landing in Birmingham and intend to rent the car from the airport itself and drop it off either at Oxford or Moreton Marsh. Having difficulty finalising my travel plan to cotswould so need to finalise the same soon. So many villages to go and see...choosing is the ytoughest part:)

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
267 posts
63 reviews
124 helpful votes
4. Re: Cotswould to Bath
Save

If you can stay at the Lygon Arms in Chipping Camden it is just the best. On the outskirts is the most photographed house in the Cotswolds when you see it you will know why. Eat the Red Lion too a great pub ! enjoy. We are spending 7 days in Bath in August/Septmeber can't wait

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
25 reviews
33 helpful votes
5. Re: Cotswould to Bath
Save

Hi

I can see you may have already decided against Bath for this visit, but just to add, Bath is beautiful, but in my opinion a nightmare to drive both into, and around, parking is also a problem, best leave it to the train!

Oxford is a little more car friendly, but be sure to take the open top bus tour, which allows you to see the best of the sites.

Whilst in Chipping, be sure to try to take in more of the Cotswolds, Bourton on the Water, Stowe, Broadway, and my favourite, Burford - can recommend the Carvery at The Cotswold Gateway hotel at the top of the road there.

Have fun!

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1 post
40 reviews
11 helpful votes
6. Re: Cotswould to Bath
Save

go to Bath dont take the car though

7. Re: Cotswould to Bath

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: April 12, 2012, 12:16 pm
Get answers to your questions about Bath
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.