We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion for a weekend in and around Bath

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
Suggestion for a weekend in and around Bath
Save

Hi,

OH & self are coming by train from Edinburgh via Bristol on Friday, 7th of May, so we should reach Bath by noon and are staying at Badminton Villa for 2 nights before leaving for London on sunday.

Any advise which is the best train to take, for the shortest and scenic route. We have a Brit Rail Pass so do we book seats in advance?

I plan on seeing the sights of Bath in the evening of the day we arrive and next day take a tour to Stonehedge (Mad Max?) / Oxford. Do you think it will be too rushed?

Can you please recommend any tours or other things I can do in and around Bath. And also any place to eat the local food.

Thanks & Cheers !

hsj
Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
478 posts
35 reviews
47 helpful votes
1. Re: Suggestion for a weekend in and around Bath
Save

Hi

The lunchtime and evening in Bath on Sat May 8th will be very busy as its Bath Rugby's last home game of the season - so if you want to eat in a nice restaurant on that day you will definately need to book in advance.

If you want to see Stonehenge I would do that in a Madmax tour on the Sat afternoon if thats possible - but if they are doing a tour of Lacock, Avebury, Castle Combe I would probably do that instead (personally I much prefer Avebury to Stonehenge). Oxford is a long way from Bath and there is so much to see in the Bath area that I would leave that for another trip.

Actually if you have Britrail passes - could you go back to London on the Sunday via Oxford? The Bath to Paddington train normally stops at Didcot - so I'm assuming that there is a link to Oxford from there?

RE local food - Bath is a very cosmopolitan city - so you can find pretty much anything here! Let us know more about your tastes in food and I'm sure that we can help - but I would recommend the local eateries rather than the chains that you will find in every town.

RE getting around Bath - its a very compact city so you really dont need to do a tour - although I believe the free walking tours are very good ( I must do one myself this summer!).

The must do's for me are

#the Roman Bath's & the Pump Room for tea,

#walk up to the Royal Crescent via Assembly Rooms, Kings Circus, Brock St and a look around No1 The Crescent.

#Walk through the Guild Hall market to Pulteney Bridge and a stroll along Pulteney Street with a little detour down to the cafe by the Weir (but not on the Sat afternoon when the rugby is on!).

#Walk back through the Corridor and explore the little side streets

#Its a very personal taste but after pounding the streets for an afternoon - and a long train journey from Scotland - I would be planning a visit to the Thermae Spa at dusk - the rooftop pool is magical.

Hope that gives you a few ideas!

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Suggestion for a weekend in and around Bath
Save

Hi HSJ,

Thanks soo much for your detailed reply and warning about the Rugby game.

I’m surely going to follow all your must do’s and do them all except maybe the Spa which we have been to a lot of them but will keep it in mind as a last minute option, as cant book in advance.

Would love to do the Lacock, Avebury, Castle Combe but then any half day tours to recommend as with Madmax these are full day tours and don’t think we have that much time.

Guess will have to leave Oxford for next time as we fly out of London on Monday early morning, an am doing Windsor on the earlier part of my travel so Oxford for another day.

Yes exactly what I want to know is names of a few local eateries, as we both like to try out the local cuisine instead of the chain hotels. We eat all kinds of food and are game for trying out anything.

Also you have referred to free walks. Any particular sites or names I can check out. And you sure can join us for one 

Thanks once again n Cheers,

M

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
17,127 posts
65 reviews
45 helpful votes
3. Re: Suggestion for a weekend in and around Bath
Save

What sort of eaterie are you looking for ? lunch ? 'special' supper ? value ? expensive ?

We went to Yak Yeti Yak last week, for the first time, excellent value (£42 for the 2 of us, no wine) it's a sort of Indian/ Nepalese, really scrummy food (might do for lunch ? as might the Walrus and the Carpenter, best burger in town).

At the other end are places like OneFish Two Fish, The Olive Tree, The Hole in the Wall or (slightly cheaper) The Circus or the Moon and Sixpence.

Bath is a wealthy town which attracts > 3 million tourists each year, so the one thing you can gurantee is that you won't go hungry.

This might help http://bathrestaurants.co.uk/

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Suggestion for a weekend in and around Bath
Save

Hi,

We are not looking at very expensive or high end places nor are we looking at eating Indian or Veg Food.

We would like to try out english / continental meals more at supper time and are more of beer drinker then wine.

Correct me if i'm wrong but the list of places you have mentioned sound like chain restaurants around UK. Is it?

auckland
Level Contributor
455 posts
123 reviews
85 helpful votes
5. Re: Suggestion for a weekend in and around Bath
Save

I can highly recommend the free walking tour-we joined in one outside the abbey right in the centre of town.Bath is a beautiful city, well worth visiting.Get up on the hill areas if you can-one of the hopon-hopoff tour does this, and it gives an entirely different perspective on the town.

Edited: 11 years ago
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
17,127 posts
65 reviews
45 helpful votes
6. Re: Suggestion for a weekend in and around Bath
Save

As far as I am aware none of the places I mentioned is found anywhere else.

Sounds like the gourmet pubs list on the site I posted above might help.

7. Re: Suggestion for a weekend in and around Bath

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: October 05, 2010, 12:18 pm
Get answers to your questions about Bath
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.