We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bristol to Bath Transportation

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
181 posts
17 reviews
22 helpful votes
Bristol to Bath Transportation
Save

I'll be on a cruise this September and we'll be in Bristol for one day, a Sunday. What's the best way (other than renting a car) to get from Bristol to Bath?

Also, I'm assuming that our ship will provide a shuttle from the docks at Avonmouth to Bristol, but, if they don't, how would I get to Bristol?

Thanks for your help

Marti

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
568 posts
70 reviews
36 helpful votes
1. Re: Bristol to Bath Transportation
Save

Hi

Assuming you get taken into Bristol, which I guess you would as Avonmouth isn't a great place for holiday makers, you can catch the train into Bath from Bristol Temple Meads which is about a mile from the centre of Bristol (a short taxi ride) The station at Bath is in the centre and you can walk to the Roman Baths etc.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
17,141 posts
65 reviews
45 helpful votes
2. Re: Bristol to Bath Transportation
Save

How long will you have ? personally I would arrange for a Bath taxi company to pick me up from the boat and take me back: don't use a Bristol firm, they won't know where they are going in Bath.

Getting to Temple Meads will take at least an hour, possibly longer if people ditter about getting on to the coach, then 20 mins to Bath, double that and you have lost 3 hours.

A taxi will whisk you away from the boat and drop you at the Royal Crescent in 45mins. You can then stroll down to the Roman Baths via the Circus, Milsom St etc.

Allow at least an hour to get back, there is a taxi rank outside Bath Abbey.

Drawback - it will be at lest $120 (but the train fare will be $40) you are paying for extra time - and you need time if you are to get the most from a visit to Bath: it is not a city you can rush, it has to be savoured.

You could try sharing the cab with another couple, which would halve the cost...

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
36,766 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Bristol to Bath Transportation
Save

I'd be very surprised if the cruise itself didn't offer a coach to Bath - after all it's the main tourism site of the area.

Whether it would be worth taking the option is another question

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
12 reviews
40 helpful votes
4. Re: Bristol to Bath Transportation
Save

Hello Marti, it would be a shame if you saw nothing of Bristol - they are both interesting cities but it's tough to get everything in when you've only got one day. Your ship is pretty luxury so there is bound to be a shuttle, I can't find out what tours they're putting on. If they drop you in the centre, then Temple Meads is a 15 minute walk & well signposted. Or there are a couple of taxi ranks, it will be about £5. There are regular trains and journey time of only 10 minutes, so unless money is really no issue I'd avoid a taxi from Royal Portbury Dock to Bath - the cab driver will know how to get there, but it won't be cheap (and they run on a different tarif on Sundays, of course). Does your documentation offer any info on shuttles/tours?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
5. Re: Bristol to Bath Transportation
Save

The train fare will be nowhere near $40, not each anyway. It's £5.60 cheap day return.

There's also a bus service, which would save trekking out to Temple Meads. Don't know the fare but it will be about the same. A bit slower than the train though

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
12 reviews
40 helpful votes
6. Re: Bristol to Bath Transportation
Save

Yep, I did wonder about the $40 quote myself! A train would be a much better option than a bus, however, as the OP has an 8am-6pm stop - take off just under an hour either side for clearance & having to be back on 30 mins before sailing + shuttle boarding.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
17,141 posts
65 reviews
45 helpful votes
7. Re: Bristol to Bath Transportation
Save

I was pricing for two, allowed a tenner each.

Sundays is not always a good day for train travel, as lines are often shut for repairs, though plenty of warning is given about this, so check first on the First Great Western site.

As others say, find out what trips the ship is offering. If the day is short I would still recommend a taxi.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
12 reviews
40 helpful votes
8. Re: Bristol to Bath Transportation
Save

Bristol Temple Meads to Bath Spa are rarely affected by the 'nightmare Sunday' track works. I couldn't look as far ahead as September, only up to August but they all appear fairly regular on a Sunday.

Shuttle (Marti's paid a fortune for his cruise & should get his money's worth - taxi or shuttle bus; all have to stop at lights so difference in time is minimal)to central Bristol, a quickie ride in a taxi to Temple Meads & then a ten minute journey to Bath seems a perfectly reasonable and painless option to me!

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
181 posts
17 reviews
22 helpful votes
9. Re: Bristol to Bath Transportation
Save

Thanks for all of you input. I'm assuming that our ship will have a shuttle into Bristol. I've sailed with this line in the past and they have always had free shuttles whenever the port wasn't close to town. That said, it sounds like the train to Bath will work best for us. The ship is offering excursions to Bath, but it sounds like they are taking the very roundabout way to get there, seeing some sighlts along the way, and that would leave us without as much time as we would like to walk around the city.

Roman Citizen, is the cab fare that you mentioned (about $120) one way or round trip?

Also, I've got another question about the trains. Why are there so many different fares? Almost as bad as airline tickets:) Is there any reason I need to get anything other than a standard return? Also, do I need to book it in advance?

Marti

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
10. Re: Bristol to Bath Transportation
Save

You want a cheap day return which you can buy on the day. No point in buying in advance - it's the same price and you haven't lost your money if your plans change.

The complexity is over longer distance journeys, not short ones like Bristol - Bath.

Get answers to your questions about Bath
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.