We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Day in Bath

Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
47,232 posts
51 reviews
76 helpful votes
Christmas Day in Bath
Save

We are thinking of spending two nights (Christmas Eve & Christmas Day) away from home for the first time and Bailbrook House in Bath is one option partly because they offer two night packages and we don't really want to be away for three nights.

Do folk know what the parking/driving situation in the central area is likely to be like on Christmas Day? With a view to mooching around the city on Christmas morning will there be any restrictions and will we be able to find any street parking or be able to use the central car parks?

And if anyone can suggest alternative accommodation on the London side of Bath that would offer a package then I would be delighted to receive suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

9 replies to this topic
Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
47,232 posts
51 reviews
76 helpful votes
1. Re: Christmas Day in Bath
Save

Hotel booked as there was only one room left of the type we wanted.

Anyone have any idea as regards parking etc? I looked on the council website and couldn't find anything definitive.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
14,682 posts
6 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Christmas Day in Bath
Save

Have you thought about asking the hotel about parking. Many of their guests are bound to arrive by car so they must be aware of the current situation and of potential solutions.

Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
47,232 posts
51 reviews
76 helpful votes
3. Re: Christmas Day in Bath
Save

There's parking at the hotel but it's about a mile and a half outside the city centre and the walk is along probably the least pleasant main road in the city. Not something we would really want to do even if the weather is fine hence my question regarding parking in the city centre.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
29,246 posts
74 reviews
125 helpful votes
4. Re: Christmas Day in Bath
Save

Once you navigate the roundabout at the junction of the A4 and A46, and then get to Bath Rugby's Lambridge Training Ground, the rest of the walk along London Road isn't too bad.

I lived in the Larkhall area of Bath (the other side of London Road to the Bath Rugby training ground) for 12 months and I used to walk into the city centre every day. I only ever got the bus if it was raining heavily!

It used to take me about half an hour to walk to my office on Monmouth Street. But I think that you are underestimating the distance from the hotel to the centre of Bath. It's more like 2 miles to Milsom Street, the main shopping road off George Street at the top end of the city centre, and that's before you get to the Roman Baths, Bath Abbey etc!

I've just looked on Google Maps and those walking times are very optimistic, especially if you take the route up over Camden Crescent which I often used to do. Google Maps doen't take into account the very steep hills in Bath!

Even though I lived in Bath for 7 years (and Chippenham for 1 year) I never actually spent a single Christmas down there because I always used to escape back to Liverpool, so I have no idea what the traffic is like there over Christmas. ;-)

Edited: November 04, 2021, 5:14 am
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
17,329 posts
65 reviews
45 helpful votes
5. Re: Christmas Day in Bath
Save

Most car parks will be open, including Charlotte St.

A longer route, but if it's a nice day walk past the rugby training ground, then turn first left into Grosvenor Bridge Road, walk to the bottom and bear right, then cross the Grosvenor footbridge: turn right after the railway bridge, it brings you up on to the canal towpath. From there you can walk to Widcombe, or take one of the many exits down into town.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
79 reviews
72 helpful votes
6. Re: Christmas Day in Bath
Save

Parking ought to be fine - there still seem to be lots of people working from home, judging by the available spaces advertised in the car parks. Lots of residents normally went away, pre Covid, too. The council have finally decided to open up a new car park on Avon St, which has sat finished and substantially empty for the past 6 months, so there will be some extra capacity.

I would give the city centre a wide berth until after lunch on Christmas Eve, if you can. People will be dashing in and out to get last minute food and drink. Everything calms down by about 3 or 4pm (or just put the traffic overlay onto google maps and head in when London Road isn't showing "red"). Midnight Mass at the Abbey is going to be ticketed this year, if that was on your "to do" list. I am guessing that they will attempt to dismantle Museum of the Moon at some point during the day. If you visit the centre after dark, there is a "light trail" around town again this year. https://bathchristmasmarket.co.uk/bath-at-christmas/

Bath is pretty quiet on Christmas Day. There is a flurry of traffic between 10-11am and then it goes quiet.

You will find plenty of families walking up and down the canal and wandering around the city centre to walk off or gain appetite for Christmas lunch. If you look at a map showing Bailbrook House, you ought to be able to spot Batheaston toll bridge, that crosses the River Avon at a scenic weir and leads you towards the canal (it was resurfaced a few years ago, so you won't get muddy).

Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
47,232 posts
51 reviews
76 helpful votes
7. Re: Christmas Day in Bath
Save

Thanks everyone. If we do decide to drive in on Christmas morning will the car parks be open (and free) or should we look for on street parking?

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
79 reviews
72 helpful votes
8. Re: Christmas Day in Bath
Save

If you don't mind a bit of a stroll through Sydney Gardens and down Great Pulteney Street, there is a 4 hour zone on Sydney Road (just above the park tennis courts). There are also some 2 hour spots alongside the cricket club on Ferry Lane (about a 5 minute walk to the Abbey/Roman Baths).

Since Christmas Day is a Saturday, and not a bank holiday, I think they MIGHT expect you to pay for street parking. Locations are here

https://beta.bathnes.gov.uk/street-parking-bath

Some spots (like inside Royal Victoria Park) are free for the first hour. You could nip to see the Royal Crescent and the Circus in that time!

Parking fines and catching drivers in bus lanes are bug revenue earners for the council.

Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
47,232 posts
51 reviews
76 helpful votes
9. Re: Christmas Day in Bath
Save

Perfect, thanks again. We will wait and see what the weather brings and how our heads are!

Reply to: Christmas Day in Bath
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bath
Recent Conversations
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.