We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bath Trip Report & Photos (October 2021)

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Portugal
Level Contributor
17,934 posts
118 reviews
596 helpful votes
Bath Trip Report & Photos (October 2021)
Save

Just returned from an excellent two night stay in Bath from October 4th to 6th 2021. Had an excellent deal with Travel Zoo staying in the Roseate Villa on a bed and breakfast basis with afternoon tea. Hope you find this trip report useful when planning your trip.

Monday 4th October 2021.

The weather started dry and sunny with a temperature of 15C. Travelled by train from Cardiff to Bath Spa, travelling time 65 minutes. Purchased train tickets three weeks in advance, £25.60 return. This was the first time I have travelled on a train for 18 months. I felt relatively safe as there was sufficient space & everyone wore a mask apart from the odd person. The train departed on time, a smooth and uneventful journey.

The train arrived in Bath at 11.30am, walked to the Roseate Villa Bath which was approximately ten minutes away. The walk from the train station was very straight forward. Walked down Manvers Street which is directly opposite the train station passing Parade Gardens. Viewed the gardens from the street above, they looked very pretty and well laid out.

Walked across Pulteney Bridge which is a major landmark in Bath, it’s considered one of the most iconic bridges in the world. I could see a slight resemblance to the Ponte Vecchio bridge in Florence. The bridge is very unique as there are shops on either side. Turned right to Henrietta Street which led to the Roseate Villa Hotel. The hotel was excellent – friendly staff, modern rooms, great location & excellent customer service. See review below: -

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186370-d193306-r813295948-The_Roseate_Villa_Bath-Bath_Somerset_England.html?m=19905

After settling in visited Henrietta Park which was very pretty, you could see autumn had started with the leaves changing colour. After visiting the small memorial garden, walked to Holburne Museum. I didn’t go inside as I read mixed reviews but the museum looked very nice from the exterior. Behind the museum enjoyed coffee in a gazebo in Lady Danbury’s dining terrace. The architecture on the nearby houses looked impressive. Had an excellent first day.

Tuesday 5th October.

The weather was extremely bad overnight with a severe weather warning for heavy rain and wind. Luckily, the weather was dry during the day with sunny spells and a blustery wind. 16C.

Started the day with a visit to the Roman Baths which is located in the city centre, 10 minutes walk from the hotel. Tickets need to be booked online with a specific date and time as they limit the number of people visiting due to social distancing. The flexible booking system is extremely good as they changed the date of my ticket with no problems. The price of the ticket varies due to the time of year. The price for a standard ticket is £19.50 (October) was £25 in September. The price also increases on the weekend.

I had the first ticket slot of the day for entry between 10am to 10.15am. I arrived at 9.50am and was second in the queue. This was an ideal time to visit as the Baths were quiet and the one way system worked well. Masks need to be worn inside (unless your exempt) but it’s possible to take them off outside.

The visit started with a view of the Baths from the top floor followed by the museum and a view from the lower tier at the end. Watch out for steps and uneven ground in places, as far as I am aware all floors have lifts but I didn’t use them. The audio guide was pretty good and the displays were set out well and easy to follow. I enjoyed my visit but I can understand why some people dislike the high entrance fee.

Next door to the Roman Baths visited the interior of Bath Abbey. Entry is free but a donation is recommended. As expected, the interior is well worth a visit with stunning architecture and beautiful stain glass windows. Taking photographs is allowed.

As the sun started to shine seized the moment by visiting Parade Gardens. From reading the reviews I was expecting a £2 admission fee but I walked into the gardens free of charge. Had a lovely walk by the river and saw Pulteney Bridge from a different angle. Very pleasant and well worth the visit especially if the weather is good.

Walked through the shopping streets Stall and Union street via Queens Square to the Royal Victoria Park which is close to the Royal Crescent. This is a small crescent of thirty grade one listed terrace houses with the park immediately below. The many cars parked outside spoilt the view but the architecture was good. Also saw the terraced houses in The Circus a few minutes walk away which is worth a visit. Ended the day with a brief visit to the Guildhall Market which is located next to Pulteney bridge. The tiny stalls looked interesting with delicious food in the Deli. After all of the walking ended the day with late afternoon tea in the Roseate Villa Hotel, see my review above for further information. A fantastic end to a great day.

Wednesday 6th October.

Time to leave beautiful Bath behind & return to Cardiff on the train. The return journey wasn’t as smooth as the outward journey as the train broke down which resulted in a change of trains at Bristol. The train was busier than the outward journey and I noticed that wearing a mask in Wales seemed much stricter than England. I had an excellent stay & would recommend Bath for a short break.

Photographs:-

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NpRv3Rb61MAHFpJT7

If you have any questions, let me know & I will try to help. Happy and safe travels.

Edited: October 07, 2021, 10:13 pm
41 replies to this topic
Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
19,677 posts
42 reviews
137 helpful votes
1. Re: Bath Trip Report & Photos (October 2021)
Save

Thanks for the report, it made very interesting reading.

We stayed one night in Bath, as a mid-journey break between Gt Manc & S Devon. Afterwards, we wished we had made it two nights. IMO that's what Bath deserves - exactly as you chose to do.

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
5,224 posts
57 reviews
19 helpful votes
2. Re: Bath Trip Report & Photos (October 2021)
Save

Thank you for the informative report. I came to love Bath while my daughter was at the University.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
40 reviews
153 helpful votes
3. Re: Bath Trip Report & Photos (October 2021)
Save

Thanks WT - great report as always. Bath is on my bucket list (Jane Austen's town of course)

I'm off to the big city (London) for a few days tomorrow night. I shall, in due course, do a trip report.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Portugal
Level Contributor
17,934 posts
118 reviews
596 helpful votes
4. Re: Bath Trip Report & Photos (October 2021)
Save

KWUK and Kernewes - Glad you enjoyed the report.

Jamieboy - Have a fantastic trip.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
29,246 posts
74 reviews
125 helpful votes
5. Re: Bath Trip Report & Photos (October 2021)
Save

Jane Austen hated Bath, but you can see the house where she used to live opposite Sydney Gardens.

I lived in Both for 7 years (and 1 year in Chippenham) and did grow very fond of the place. The expensive rent and cost of a pint was one of the reasons I moved back oop North though! 😉

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
17,329 posts
65 reviews
45 helpful votes
6. Re: Bath Trip Report & Photos (October 2021)
Save

As Matt says, JA was no fan of Bath - something to do with an aunt being accused of theft ? When I moved to the city nearly 50 years ago people merely noted that JA had lived in Bath: then the marketing people got involved......

It is generally reckoned that the JA centre is worth missing - a mate who used to work there thought it was rubbish.

it is possible to stay in an Air BnB in the house near Sydney gardens where she lived for a while, Sydney gardens - which existed before JA came to Bath, was a pleasure garden which people had to subscribe to in order to enter: there is little doubt that she would have been a subscriber, so if you wish to walk in her footsteps feel free to go in, it's a lovely park, though the maze which was there in her day was removed with the coming of the railway.

There is als a JA walk, which google should find, which takes you to places associated with her books - it's self-guided.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Destination Expert
for Lithuania, Vilnius
Level Contributor
4,969 posts
324 reviews
268 helpful votes
7. Re: Bath Trip Report & Photos (October 2021)
Save

Glad you had a splendid trip WT, excellent report 👌, loved reading it :) haven't been there yet, saved your guide for future planning.

Beautiful photos, you've got a good eye 👍

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
9,114 posts
133 reviews
81 helpful votes
8. Re: Bath Trip Report & Photos (October 2021)
Save

Thanks for the very insightful trip report on wonderful Bath . I loved the photos also.

Great work WT

Cheers

Sean

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
19,677 posts
42 reviews
137 helpful votes
9. Re: Bath Trip Report & Photos (October 2021)
Save

Apologies for the slight digression -

Jamie #3 << Bath is on my bucket list (Jane Austen's town of course) >> great idea.

But also - if you have interests in JA, you must put Winchester into the bucket list as well, plus the lovely nearby village of Chawton where she lived in the prime of her writing career.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g3361713-d218353-r544090428-Jane_Austen_s_House-Chawton_Alton_Hampshire_England.html

Province of...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
32,113 posts
286 reviews
208 helpful votes
10. Re: Bath Trip Report & Photos (October 2021)
Save

WT,

Most enjoyable read and photos. Bath is one of my Favorite places in the U.K., having stayed nearby in the village of Limpley Stoke and travelled by local bus into the City. I can still recall my first visit to the Pump Room for Afternoon tea, many years ago. I have also taken the train a numerous times from London to Bath and back, carrying my box of tea cakes for my late DH, as he had business meetings to attend.

As posted above by KWUK, if you are a fan of JA head to Winchester and the village of Chawton, I highly recommended a visit to Jane Austons home and a stop in at Greyfriars Pub, absolutely unforgettable.

Kesh_grammy

Edited: October 08, 2021, 5:54 pm
Reply to: Bath Trip Report & Photos (October 2021)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bath
Recent Conversations
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.