We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for navigating Ironbridge / Blists Hills in Aug.

Ottawa, Canada
7 posts
1 review
Advice for navigating Ironbridge / Blists Hills in Aug.

Hello, we are arriving from Canada in August to tour parts of England, including Ironbridge Gorge & Blists Hills Village. However, we are using rail to get around, sans car (I am rather reluctant to hire a non-automatic car with other-side driving!) & we have two daughters ages 7 and 4. While we are using taxi to get from our Telford hotel to the Gorge, what options are there in the way of taxi between the mini-museums (and, especially, Blists Hills?) - while I understand there's an infrequent bus route, it is not the most desired method for us as it doesn't go direct to Blists Hills from the Bridge (according to Google Maps), and in any event, it may well be more economical for us to take taxi over bus fare (but I could be mistaken on that, please tell me what are typical fares per mile...)

4 replies to this topic
Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,312 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Advice for navigating Ironbridge / Blists Hills in Aug.

Relying on public transportation in rural UK can be challenging. Would you feel more confidant if hiring an automatic shifted car? They are more expensive than the manual ones, but they are easier for the folks from "the other side of the road", like us.

You'd need the car seats for your children then.

Yuri.

Ottawa, Canada
7 posts
1 review
2. Re: Advice for navigating Ironbridge / Blists Hills in Aug.

It's not rural in the conventional sense, because it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site...and is sort of like a self-contained area as an extension of the city of Telford.

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Advice for navigating Ironbridge / Blists Hills in Aug.

telford.gov.uk/info/…ironbridge_park_and_ride

Operates Saturday and Sunday. The maps are useful to orientate yourself.

Blists Hill doesn't have a general bus service, at least a 10 minute walk from nearest bus stop, so I'd use a taxi if you can't visit at week-end. Make it the first visit of the day, I'm sure you will there until lunch time, there is so much to see. By then you will know a taxi service, so give them a call to take you on to next place. There is a good cluster of museums around Ironbridge itself. The tile museum is on the far side of the river - easiest to walk and use footbridge. It is a pleasant walk along the river, with numerous pubs for refreshment, but a couple of sections can be busy.

http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk ... use this web-site, or local equivalent, to check for local bus services. Use the "Find a timetable" tab with Location Ironbridge and get timetables and maps.

http://www.telfordpublictransport.co.uk/ looks useful but I haven't used it.

Ottawa, Canada
7 posts
1 review
4. Re: Advice for navigating Ironbridge / Blists Hills in Aug.

Actually, from what I read on the site, Blists Hills Village is open until 5pm, one hour later than the rest of the Gorge (till 4pm), so that would compel me to explore the Gorge mini-museums first and then go to Blists around 1:45pm or so

Reply to: Advice for navigating Ironbridge / Blists Hills in Aug.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Shropshire