We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pedestrian route to Tower Bridge

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,684 posts
224 reviews
138 helpful votes
Pedestrian route to Tower Bridge
Save

We're planning to take a City Cruises boat to Tower Bridge and then do the ten quid bridge visit.

I see the entrance to the bridge tour is on the North West side.

After we get off the boat can we simply walk along the quay, on the river side of the Tower of London (Traitor's Gate) and go up some steps, or do we need to walk around the Tower and get onto the pedestrian path?

In other words, is the quayside part of the Tower of London enclosure and accessible only with Tower of London tickets? It's not clear to me from Streetview etc.

24 replies to this topic
Beckenham, United...
Level Contributor
17,373 posts
34 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: Pedestrian route to Tower Bridge
Save

If you go up on the bridge on street view you will see a set of steps going down on the west side of the bridge by the arch on the north side. It comes out on the other side of the bridge opposite Starbucks.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
3,666 posts
76 reviews
72 helpful votes
2. Re: Pedestrian route to Tower Bridge
Save

You can walk all around the outside of Tower Bridge without having to pay. There is a fairly busy, wide path along the river towards Tower Bridge. Walk under the bridge to find the steps up to "street level".

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,684 posts
224 reviews
138 helpful votes
3. Re: Pedestrian route to Tower Bridge
Save

Thanks both - I saw the steps down from the bridge but I wasn't sure where they lead to, and if that was a public area.

And I wasn't sure if the archway opposite Starbucks only lead to a ToL entrance gate, or to a public path along the river ban to reach the river boat pier. I can see pedestrians on that path on Streetview but I wasn't sure if they were inside or outside the ToL enclosures.

Makes sense now .

Reigate, United...
Level Contributor
810 posts
43 reviews
110 helpful votes
4. Re: Pedestrian route to Tower Bridge
Save

>>You can walk all around the outside of Tower Bridge without having to pay. <<

You can do that, of course. But the 'Tower Bridge Experience', which you have to pay for, allows you to go inside the bridge and walk through the upper walkway that joins the two towers. There's even a section of clear glass in the floor that you can walk across if you're brave enough! I did it myself about 11 years ago, and enjoyed it.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,684 posts
224 reviews
138 helpful votes
5. Re: Pedestrian route to Tower Bridge
Save

We're planning to take the tour costing £10.60 shown here;

https://www.towerbridge.org.uk/plan-your-visit

I took "You can walk all around the outside of Tower Bridge without having to pay" to mean walk all around the Tower of London without having to pay but maybe the post was accurate.

Obviously you can't walk all around the bridge as such as you'd get wet - but we know we can cross the bridge as pedestrians for free at road level (assuming it's not raised, and no scheduled lift for our visit).

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6. Re: Pedestrian route to Tower Bridge
Save

If you take the route by the river, then after you've walked through the arch that takes you underneath the bridge you will need to turn right and take take the steps on your right that will take you to the Western side of the bridge. The steps on the left after the arch take you up to the Eastern side of the bridge and because of barriers you cannot cross the road.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
7. Re: Pedestrian route to Tower Bridge
Save

Also, check the link below on the day to see if there is a bridge lift scheduled for when you will be there.

https://www.towerbridge.org.uk/lift-times

Tring, United...
Level Contributor
6,225 posts
116 reviews
65 helpful votes
8. Re: Pedestrian route to Tower Bridge
Save

Yes, you can walk all round the outside of the Tower of London without paying - the moat being the border.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
387 posts
18 reviews
4 helpful votes
9. Re: Pedestrian route to Tower Bridge
Save

As part of the tour, you go up the NW tower, across the walkway, down the SW tower. You then actually exit the bridge and down some public steps to the engine room.

The toilets are in this part. I am a slave to my bladder so rushed the bridge part a bit.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,684 posts
224 reviews
138 helpful votes
10. Re: Pedestrian route to Tower Bridge
Save

We recently completed a large 3D jigsaw of the bridge - so we know almost every brick - apart from certain details…. Been under it several times. All being well we’ll be on this week

Reply to: Pedestrian route to Tower Bridge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.