We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More questions

Eden Prairie...
Level Contributor
210 posts
6 reviews
4 helpful votes
More questions
Save

I had planned to spend three weeks in London and Edinburgh. I decided to add an extra week so I could possibly visit Paris. Not sure yet if I will. Someone mentioned visiting York. I know I can take a train to York and then on to Edinburgh. How hard will it be to get around once I'm in York. I know I want to visit the walls. I"m always looking on suggestions. I love historic places.

20 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
19,742 posts
14 reviews
49 helpful votes
1. Re: More questions
Save

York is compact and very walkable, virtually all the major attractions are within the Walls.

Unmissable City, highly recommended!

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire, London
Level Contributor
23,466 posts
633 reviews
266 helpful votes
2. Re: More questions
Save

Agree with madscotsman - great place

Eden Prairie...
Level Contributor
210 posts
6 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: More questions
Save

I really wanted to get out and explore more of England, but I don't want to rent a car. I'm not sure I could get used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road:-) Any other great historic cities I can get to by train that I absolutely should not miss? I thought about Bath .

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
19,742 posts
14 reviews
49 helpful votes
4. Re: More questions
Save

We cannot stress enough that you don’t need a car for York, or Edinburgh and London.

You don’t even need a Taxi in York!

Also it is on the mainline between London and Edinburgh, roughly 2.5 Hrs either way, so there is no backtracking for you.

You want History, York is History!

One of my favourite places, been 3 times and would go back again!

Edited: August 02, 2021, 2:00 am
Eden Prairie...
Level Contributor
210 posts
6 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: More questions
Save

Great. I didn't want a car:-) Plus, I'm looking forward to riding the rails so to speak.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
19,742 posts
14 reviews
49 helpful votes
6. Re: More questions
Save

If you like Trains, then the National Railway Museum is in York.

Another unmissable attraction, don’t miss the Shed with all the Royal Train Coaches (Cars in USA speak), these are Coaches that have Transported Kings and Queens, including the Present Queen since Queen Victoria.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
17,295 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
7. Re: More questions
Save

welcome back...

note i cant answer your question.

but have you looked at a map of York? And looked for where the wall is located in relation to the train station?

you can do a search in google maps and look for those other things you want to see in York and any other place you visit. If you choose to travel by train, you can look for any train stations and how close/far things are from there.

You can also check for any public transportation if you want. Or you can try a taxi/uber/lyft too.

there is aslo google. "public transportation in York, UK" and see what comes up.

something else to keep in mind. If you think of a Train station or airport as something important where people go to, or leave from, they can be considered HUBs. So chances are they may have other forms of transportation close by or there for those arriving or departing. Like Buses/light rail/subways...ect. Some of them may have a "tourist" info or "info" desk where you can get info on how to get to the wall or other things. I just looked at the map for both and realized to me, its walkabe.

good luck.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,375 posts
32 reviews
26 helpful votes
8. Re: More questions
Save

Stamford is a beautiful smallish town, easily reachable by train of you change trains at Peterborough on the main "East coast(it's not really on the coast) main line between London and Edinburgh. Peterborough itself is nothing very special but has a great cathedral a few minutes walk from the station. Cambridge can also be reached by train from London or the line that runs through Peterborough to Stamford.

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
18,312 posts
42 reviews
109 helpful votes
9. Re: More questions
Save

York is very compact and easy to walk to all places of interest. (In fact, a car would be an unused liability there).

If you were based in York for 3+ nights, there are several good options for day-return sidetrips by train.

Historic cities ? Winchester takes some beating. Former capital of much of England; King Arthur's round table, King Alfred, the Cathedral, Jane Austen. Easy day return trip by train from central London.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
19,742 posts
14 reviews
49 helpful votes
10. Re: More questions
Save

Depending on how many days you allocate to York, you could take an organised Day Tour into the Dales.

Or a local Train to the Spa town of Harrogate.

Reply to: More questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.