We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harry Potter & Legoland

6 posts
Harry Potter & Legoland
Save

Hi

Looking some advice please. Hoping to come to London next year for 1st time from Northern Ireland - 2 adults and 3 kids (10-15 years). And we don't have a clue I'm afraid.

We want to see London, Harry Potter and Legoland to start. Where should we stay? Would a car be better than public transport (won't be taking car into London mind).

Not sure whether to take car over to Liverpool and drive down or fly and hire a car.

Hoping to do on a budget aswell. Any tips on any aspect of this trip would be very welcome.

Many thanks

16 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
13,839 posts
19 reviews
47 helpful votes
1. Re: Harry Potter & Legoland
Save

I’m afraid that both Legoland and Harry Potter may bust any sensible budget. I was at HP with my grandchildren a few days ago. In addition to the steep entry fee all the additional bits are very expensive so beware.

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
2,619 posts
73 reviews
38 helpful votes
2. Re: Harry Potter & Legoland
Save

If you are on a budget stay outside London, perhaps around Heathrow and drive to HP and Legoland and then tube/train into London, will be much cheaper.

Beckenham, United...
Level Contributor
17,358 posts
34 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: Harry Potter & Legoland
Save

You should check the airfares, car hire costs etc against the cost of using your own car on the ferry, also add in the cost of parking at your chosen hotel if charges apply.

I did some checks on current car hire prices and train fares for a trip we hope to do next month up to Scotland and decided to drive with stops on the way there and back and found the car hire prices a lot more than in previous years once you add in the extras.

Tring, United...
Level Contributor
6,129 posts
116 reviews
65 helpful votes
4. Re: Harry Potter & Legoland
Save

Harry Potter and Legoland are a fair distance apart at Leavesden and Windsor respectively. Pre-booking is essential for HP and it frequently sells out. Neither is conducive to public transport as both involve a shuttle bus from the nearest train station.

Having a car in London is a nightmare, with very little parking available and if you do find somewhere, very expensive - add the Congestion Charge and possibly the ULEZ charge on top you're probably looking at £40+ per day!

What sort of budget are we talking?

Edited: August 01, 2021, 11:51 pm
6 posts
5. Re: Harry Potter & Legoland
Save

Thank you,

We were thinking car be handy to get to HP and Legoland but definitely wouldn't be taking into centre of London.

Any area I can look for not too far out of London but nice and safe enough? Apart from Legoland and HP we will probably spend most of our time in London itself sightseeing etc. So handy to London and transport.

Car may also depend on how much the accommodation charge to park at .

Edited: August 02, 2021, 12:22 am
Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
47,074 posts
51 reviews
76 helpful votes
6. Re: Harry Potter & Legoland
Save

There are a few hotels in the Windsor area and a couple close to Watford Junction station which would be very handy for getting to the HP studios and central London. Both the Holiday Inn and the cheaper Holiday Inn Express have limited parking and are just a few minutes walk from the station.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16,996 posts
68 reviews
27 helpful votes
7. Re: Harry Potter & Legoland
Save

I think your kids might be a bit old for Legoland. The 10 year old might get something out of it but I think a 15 yr old would find it far too young.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
76 reviews
72 helpful votes
8. Re: Harry Potter & Legoland
Save

Have a look on the Legoland website. There certainly USED to be some hotel and entry packages for hotels "nearby" that were quite good value. If they haven't all been taken up with accommodating people coming back from "red" countries you might find some cheap deals near Heathrow too.

If you could get yourselves to Slough there is a shuttle train that runs between Slough and Windsor (and then there is a bus to Legoland). Getting out of the Legoland carpark used to take ages in the Summer.

Admittedly we used to have a pass and visit regularly, but my teen didn't express the slightest interest in re-visiting after she was 9 or 10. She preferred Chessington.

it is probably best to plan the trip around when, if at all you can get slots for Harry Potter.

If you ditched the car, I reckon it used to take us about an hour to get to Legoland from central London (usually picked up a train from Waterloo at Vauxhall but you can get out from Paddington via Slough).

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16,996 posts
68 reviews
27 helpful votes
9. Re: Harry Potter & Legoland
Save

Without a car I would fly into Heathrow, head to Legoland first (you can do it on the bus but I'd be tempted to get a taxi for 5 of you), stay in Windsor, then head into central London and do Harry Potter studios as a day trip from there.

Holiday Inn used to do a combined family hotel stay and Legoland tickets at some hotels nearby but you'd probably need a car to get to/from them.

If you have anything like Tesco clubcard points or Sainsburys Nectar card then check offers on those for use against tickets. I used Nectar card points for a day pass to Legoland and could then pay a nominal charge to extend it to a 2nd day on the way out that evening. Some of the breakfast cereals and even Carex soap sometimes have offers on for theme parks.

Most hotels have a maximum occupancy of 2adults & 2 children so maybe consider a private room in one of the YHA hostels in London to save the expense of a second hotel room. Or AirBnB.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
3,233 posts
79 reviews
23 helpful votes
10. Re: Harry Potter & Legoland
Save

As our boys grew up family outings started at Legoland, then Chessington, then Thorpe Park as they are each aimed mostly at a slightly different age group. 15 is probably a bit old for Legoland.

Chessington is accessible by train (with a fairly long walk).

If you bring your own car look for a hotel on the west or NW side of London but within the travelcard zones as that will tend to make going in and out of the centre cheaper, but check parking costs.

If you have an older car stay outside the north circular road or you will be within the new air quality zone.

Reply to: Harry Potter & Legoland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.