We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Assistance at London Heathrow

7 posts
1 review
Assistance at London Heathrow
Save

My wife an I, both UK citizens, returning to live in UK and in our 80's, are traveling from Malaysia in October to UK arriving at London Heathrow. i have been in contact with a number of companies who meet off flight and offer assistance through LHR but all of those contacted have discontinued assistance due to long delays at LHR immigration. Can anyone recommend where we could get help with baggage and also looking for private car hire to travel to Manchester area. Have considered using a BA flight from Heathrow to Manchester but due to probable delays at immigration it seems likely that connection could be missed.

19 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
66,001 posts
11 reviews
89 helpful votes
1. Re: Assistance at London Heathrow
Save

Ground assistance between the gate of an arriving flight and the baggage hall needs to be booked through the airline, although the assistance is provided by a third party contractor nominated by the airport operator.

In the past porters have been available in the baggage halls but at present LHR is not offering this service; whether that will change by October we don't know.

A Meet and Assist service can be booked, but you'll need to wheel your own luggage trolleys from the baggage hall to the arrivals hall (usually a very short walk), and the car service driver may be able to assist from the arrivals hall to the car park: https://www.heathrow.com/at-the-airport/airport-services/meet-and-assist-concierge-service

Car services from LHR to Manchester: https://www.blackberrycars.com/distance-transfers/heathrow-distance-transfers/taxi-manchester-heathrow-airport/ https://www.twelvetransfers.co.uk/destinations/london-uk-taxi-transfers/taxi-manchester-heathrow-airport/ https://www.expressairporttransport.co.uk/Taxi-Heathrow-Airport-To-Manchester https://www.mmatransfers.com/heathrow-airport/ Blackberry Cars have been rated on this forum for many years, I'd give them a look first.

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
10,738 posts
129 reviews
71 helpful votes
2. Re: Assistance at London Heathrow
Save

Regarding your booking from Malaysia.who is it with? BA?

Can you not get a single ticket to Manchester (from Malaysia) and if it's via LHR your luggage will go straight through and you will go via Flight Connections with little delay. And if you miss the second flight they should try and get you on the next one

East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
118 reviews
33 helpful votes
3. Re: Assistance at London Heathrow
Save

Last time we flew in and out of LHR (Feb 2020) we told the airline we needed assistance and it was all arrange by them. On arrival back in the UK we were met at the plane and the very nice young man helped us all the way through even getting us a lift to the Hilton where we were staying over night.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
3,070 posts
10 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Assistance at London Heathrow
Save

As Post #2 says, provided you can change your flight ticket to be KUL-MAN as a single 'through ticket', then BA will transfer your baggage and you won't see it at Heathrow, and you can use the purple 'flight connections' route to pass immigration and enter the UK and then go directly up to security for the next flight. This is a separate channel to the normal UK border exit and is much faster. If you were to book separate tickets then then yes you risk the possible queues at normal immigration and have to collect all your luggage and walk around with it. (It is still worth having a plan B / change of clothes and of course medication etc in your hand luggage just in case of big delays on your incoming flight.)

Otherwise Heathrow has an obligation to provide assistance up to a 'designated point' which is usually after baggage reclaim but in the main terminal. I see that the porter service (which would usually be pre-arranged) is paused at the moment due to covid. I would certainly try again nearer the time as things are changing rapidly.

As well as the services often mentioned on here for Heathrow (Blackberry cars, Parker) you might find airport transfer car services from Manchester as cost-effective.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
27 reviews
43 helpful votes
5. Re: Assistance at London Heathrow
Save

Welcome home.

I arrived at Heathrow at terminal 5 in mid-July 2021, using the assistance booked through my airline.

They collected me in a wheelchair, took me through immigration (skipping the long queue), to baggage claim and through customs. At that point I was set loose.

If I was being collected by a car and driver, that was where I would meet him/her. If you book a car and driver, explain that you would need help with your baggage.

I agree that it mighty be better to book flights through to Manchester rather than deal with luggage at Heathrow and if you have booked special assistance through your airline, you would not be delayed at immigration and would be taken through security to your next flight. (although there is sometimes a delay is the wheel chair coming to the plane, especially for two chairs, so I would give the connection at least 3-4 hours)

I think you would need to go through immigration at Heathrow as the flight to Manchester is a domestic flight, but your bags would go through customs at Manchester.

England, United...
Level Contributor
7,590 posts
135 reviews
109 helpful votes
6. Re: Assistance at London Heathrow
Save

Cant speak for post covid but before that you used to be met close to the plane by someone with a wheelchair and taken to a place where you climbed onto a motorised vehicle that whisked you off to baggage reclaim. We could manage after that so no idea about further on. I see no reason why they should have stopped that service as you spend most of your time not that close to a driver.

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
121 posts
11 reviews
17 helpful votes
7. Re: Assistance at London Heathrow
Save

Yes we do need to do immigration at LHR, I have checked this with Manchester Airport. Malaysia (currently Amber travel zone) . Malaysia Airlines cannot confirm if they can add LHR/MAN ticket

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
121 posts
11 reviews
17 helpful votes
8. Re: Assistance at London Heathrow
Save

Many thanks for all the contacts, much appreciated.

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
121 posts
11 reviews
17 helpful votes
9. Re: Assistance at London Heathrow
Save

Tks for the information, I havent check with Malaysia Airlines but doubt if they will do but I will ask.

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
121 posts
11 reviews
17 helpful votes
10. Re: Assistance at London Heathrow
Save

No not BA, Malaysia Airlines, BA suspended services from Malaysia, have limited flights from Singapore but using Singapore I need to add on another leg and BA prices are excessive compared with the limited alternatives.

Reply to: Assistance at London Heathrow
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.