We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

most walkable area for 1st timer who wants to see it all.

Boston...
Level Contributor
115 posts
most walkable area for 1st timer who wants to see it all.
Save

We’re finally in position where we are fortunate enough to explore the world. London is our top destination on our list. We will be traveling with 2 young children, love walking to good food and pubs while meeting locals and seeing landmarks along the way. Having lived in Boston for 10 years we grew accustomed to walking everywhere.

Assuming you were sending a friend on their first and only trip to London which area would you advise them to stay in for their 7-10 night trip?

64 replies to this topic
North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire, London
Level Contributor
23,466 posts
633 reviews
266 helpful votes
1. Re: most walkable area for 1st timer who wants to see it all.
Save

Anywhere within or adjacent to the (Yellow) Circle tube line - London is too big to walk everywhere but public transport is excellent.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
17,295 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
2. Re: most walkable area for 1st timer who wants to see it all.
Save

welcome,

have you looked at a map of London and compared the area to Boston?

Also have you looked at where the things you may want to see are located in London?

as mentioned in #1, i would do that and chances are you will need to use some wheels in whatever form to get around.

sorry for the time you have allocated to London, you wont be able to do or see it all on foot, but it will depend on what you want. So you need to carefully pick/choose your battles wisely.

also, no mention of WHEN this is suppose to happen. During the winter months there is less daylight to use.

good luck

Edited: July 18, 2021, 5:25 am
Aberdeen, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
5,889 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: most walkable area for 1st timer who wants to see it all.
Save

London is a somewhat decentralised city - there is no one area that will let you see it all on foot.

The area described by the Central Line will however let you access the most significant central areas with ease.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
42,363 posts
4. Re: most walkable area for 1st timer who wants to see it all.
Save

Bloomsbury / Holborn might fit the bill.

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
5,916 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: most walkable area for 1st timer who wants to see it all.
Save

What is now called 'central London' developed from 3 distinct settlements , so things of interest are spread over quite a wide area.

To help you get your bearings here's a simplified tourist map of some highlights. Note that from Tower abridge in the east to the Albert Memorial in the west is about 5 miles. So expect to be making use of the excellent public transport infrastructure, as well as doing a fair bit of walking.

London tourist map

https://mapcollection.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/london_centre_road_-_tourist_map.jpg

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
18,312 posts
42 reviews
109 helpful votes
6. Re: most walkable area for 1st timer who wants to see it all.
Save

The link below is a schematic of central London's main tourism area. That diagram stretches nearly 6 miles side to side.

https://www.tripindicator.com/images/compare/attraction-map/london_tourist_map.jpg

No single area is 'best'. For a first and only trip to London I would suggest Kensington, Bloomsbury & Tower Bridge areas should be on the shortlist for final consideration. Proximity of accommodation to a tube station counts for a lot.

Unsure about "meeting locals". Almost all the locals I've met when in London, live well away from the centre and commute daily from their distant homes.

Extra note - typing of #5 & #6 overlapped.

Edited: July 18, 2021, 6:20 am
Boston...
Level Contributor
115 posts
7. Re: most walkable area for 1st timer who wants to see it all.
Save

Clearly London is too big to walk everywhere. I guess I should have phrased it as which area will provide the most walkability.

As far as meeting the locals it was always nice to see tourists of Boston come into the less touristy restaurants and hang out with the residents of the area.

(We are not Times Square people and I would never send any of my friends to Faneuil Hall if they were in Boston for a trip! I don’t mind being a tourist, but I don’t like pinned as ‘the tourist’ if that makes any sense)

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
3,778 posts
228 reviews
139 helpful votes
8. Re: most walkable area for 1st timer who wants to see it all.
Save

Not stayed there personally, but the Premier Inn near the London Eye always looks like a good place to stay. You would be able to walk to many of the main attractions from there.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
26,488 posts
80 reviews
131 helpful votes
9. Re: most walkable area for 1st timer who wants to see it all.
Save

I suspect no,3 means the Circle line. Not a bad rule of thumb Mos of London is walkable thanks to have been mostly built pre car so don't obsess with that. You'll have to use buses and tubes to get around to stand any chance if seeing enough do again I wouldn't overthink where to stay.

Assuming any normality returns London is covered with workers, residents and visitors many of whom are from all over the world, so whilst you will encounter 'locals' don't expect to be tripping up over us all the time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,814 posts
460 reviews
178 helpful votes
10. Re: most walkable area for 1st timer who wants to see it all.
Save

Camden, Angel, Islington, Southwark are all areas within 20 minutes on the tube into Central London despite not being inside the circle line.

People will recommend Bloomsbury, which is lovely but overly touristy and overpriced in my opinion.

Reply to: most walkable area for 1st timer who wants to see it all.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.