We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Area for Couple Early Fifties (but young at heart!)

Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Best Area for Couple Early Fifties (but young at heart!)
Save

As above, we are coming to London next weekend and looking for advice on what area to stay in. We have been to London numerous times, but always end up in the same places: Covent Garden, Camden, Leicester Square, Trafalgar Square etc.

We were looking for something a bit different, we like to have a wander around and go into different pubs and restaurants etc. (hubby loves all the old fashioned pubs).

A friend suggested Shoreditch but I am not sure if this is suitable as a tourist (?) and also after reading some of the posts on here Greenwich comes up quite a lot. I have never stayed at Tower Bridge either although I know this is extra touristy. Coming Wednesday to Friday so shouldn't be as busy as a weekend.

Would really appreciate some advice before we book!

17 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
20,077 posts
275 reviews
147 helpful votes
1. Re: Best Area for Couple Early Fifties (but young at heart!)
Save

You may not have realised London is busy all the time, often more so during the week when there are business travellers as well as tourists.

Accommodation in all tourist spots has been busy this year as more people holiday within their own country.

How about South Bank or Islington near Upper St (lots of traditional type pubs nearby and still quite on trend).

Edited: June 16, 2021, 9:29 pm
Solihull
Level Contributor
6,338 posts
14 reviews
31 helpful votes
2. Re: Best Area for Couple Early Fifties (but young at heart!)
Save

How about Hampstead (Village), just North of Regents Park?

Description from Wikipedia

Hampstead is known for its intellectual, liberal, artistic, musical and literary associations. It has some of the most expensive housing in the London area. Hampstead has more millionaires within its boundaries than any other area of the United Kingdom.

Few web sites about it here

https://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/london-areas/hampstead

https://londontopia.net/top-10-london/london-top-10-ten-things-hampstead/

Alongside Hampstead village is Hampstead Heath.

This huge unspoilt area was where many people went during the great fire of London to get away from the fire and the smoke.

Many sat on the Heath watching the fire in the distance ,

John Constable painted this painting during the fire (he lived in Hampstead)

https://www.artsy.net/artwork/john-constable-fire-in-london-seen-from-hampstead

Wikipedia page here. Note the entry about many old traditional pubs !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampstead

Edited: June 16, 2021, 10:31 pm
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
446 reviews
170 helpful votes
3. Re: Best Area for Couple Early Fifties (but young at heart!)
Save

Camden, Islington, areas to consider.

Shoreditch I find way too noisy. Too many pubs and clubs unless that is your scene?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
4. Re: Best Area for Couple Early Fifties (but young at heart!)
Save

From the wording of your post ( young at heart, hubby loves all the old fashioned pubsl) I'd say Shoreditch is definitely not for you.

Most of the hip Millennials and older Gen Z'rs don't hang out in Leicester Square or Trafalgar Square (what's there?). They're generally in places like Brixton,/Shoreditch/Hoxton/Clerkenwell. A few in Soho, many still in Covent Garden. Mayfair and Knight bridge still popular.

If you're interested in doin it for the 'gram then there are lots of places spread right across London where you can do it, e.g. HushMayfair, Mahiki, Sketch, Sea Containers or either/both of the bars at The Sanderson. The Sanderson only really comes to life at weekends but I believe its currently closed.

However, IMO there is no single, best area to be. Everything in the centre is a short walk or cab ride away.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
65,732 posts
11 reviews
89 helpful votes
5. Re: Best Area for Couple Early Fifties (but young at heart!)
Save

'A friend suggested Shoreditch but I am not sure if this is suitable as a tourist (?)' Those who see Shoreditch as a go-to spot for their Instagrammable lives would view me as impossibly past it and incapable of making sound decisions, but I think it's fine to stay there as a visitor. Although on the fringes of trendysville, I quite like the Premier Inn Old Street, and the Travelodge in City Road isn't a bad second choice.

'I have never stayed at Tower Bridge either although I know this is extra touristy.' Is it? I've not found it so, but I don't tend to stay near Tower Hill and Tower Gateway stations, but farther east. Bermondsey and the City Hall area south of the river are certainly popular but there are more hotels in the Tower Hill and Aldgate area, on the fringes of the City.

Hucknall, United...
Level Contributor
883 posts
152 reviews
63 helpful votes
6. Re: Best Area for Couple Early Fifties (but young at heart!)
Save

My husband & I are 43 and last week we stayed on the Southbank. It was vibrant without being overwhelming and right next to Borough Market. We stayed at Premier Inn Bankside (next to The Anchor pub). I would recommend that location.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
16,749 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
7. Re: Best Area for Couple Early Fifties (but young at heart!)
Save

Welcome

Something you may want to consider...

- anyplace you stay is only temporary.

- consider wondering to some of the other places mentioned that may suit your needs and make notes of them...Then on your next trip back, you will have some other places to stay.

Good luck

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,738 posts
398 reviews
148 helpful votes
8. Re: Best Area for Couple Early Fifties (but young at heart!)
Save

Have you considered Kensington?

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
41,873 posts
9. Re: Best Area for Couple Early Fifties (but young at heart!)
Save

Bloomsbury for me.

"Old friends are best."

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Salta, Bolivia
Level Contributor
7,198 posts
335 reviews
179 helpful votes
10. Re: Best Area for Couple Early Fifties (but young at heart!)
Save

I would take look a Marylebone and the Bloomsbury /Holborn areas. Holborn Tube is on the Central and Picadillly lines making it easy to get around.Lots of pubs in the area, Red Lion St used to be the street to go to when I worked in the area a few years ago. Lincolns Inn and around is good for a wander.Covent Garden etc is walking distance. https://thehoxton.com/london/holborn/ is a Nic spall etc stay and has a buzzing bar for drinks close to home!

Marylebone has some nice pubs and a great farmers market on a Sunday.

Edited: June 17, 2021, 8:34 pm
Reply to: Best Area for Couple Early Fifties (but young at heart!)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.