We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current rules to visit London from US

Level Contributor
20 posts
Current rules to visit London from US
Save

I'm fully vaccinated, but I don't think that matters. How long must I quarantine once I arrive at Heathrow from the US?

Can I quarantine at my daughter's flat?

What's the process with the 5 day test to leave quarantine?

What if I come from a Green country (like US to Greece)? How long do I have to be in a Green country in order to skip quarantine in the UK?

What if I arrive June 25th or so? Will the rules be different?

You all are THE experts and I appreciate your help!!

41 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
20 posts
1. Re: Current rules to visit London from US
Save

I should clarify that I have read the rules released by the UK. I guess I'm wondering if there are updates I am unaware of, expected changes I am unaware of, or other insights I am unaware of.

As it stands now, it looks like the UK does not want any tourist to enter the country unless the tourist can afford 10 days in quarantine, which is totally the right of the country to decide.

I do feel badly for all of the people in the tourism, hospitality, and travel industries.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
27,827 posts
72 reviews
124 helpful votes
2. Re: Current rules to visit London from US
Save

"I do feel badly for all of the people in the tourism, hospitality, and travel industries."

Don't feel sorry for them darling. They will do just fine with people from the UK paying their wages, as we are all holidaying in the UK this Summer and most places are fully booked up here.

You just stay in the USA until it's safe to travel; maybe the end of this year or maybe next year. ;-)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
27,827 posts
72 reviews
124 helpful votes
3. Re: Current rules to visit London from US
Save

"How long do I have to be in a Green country in order to skip quarantine in the UK?"

Do us all a favour and don't start looking for loopholes! ;-)

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire, London
Level Contributor
22,124 posts
625 reviews
259 helpful votes
4. Re: Current rules to visit London from US
Save

The rules are here https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control this is updated as needed - often at short notice - don’t book anything that can’t be cancelled.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
19,663 posts
271 reviews
142 helpful votes
5. Re: Current rules to visit London from US
Save

“ I do feel badly for all of the people in the tourism, hospitality, and travel industries.”

If you really want to meet your daughter and are prepared to consider loopholes why not find a way for her to visit you and help the US tourist economy at the same time? Of course she’d have to isolate when she returned to the U.K.

Please don’t try to find a loophole. It’s not fair and it’s not nice. With increasing cases of Covid variants we all need to take responsibility for our own safety and that of others.

Btw, we get many people on these forums who seem to have the wrong idea about quarantine and isolating. No popping out to the shops, no trips to a coffee place, no going outside for a walk and, if in a hotel, no leaving your room.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
148 reviews
226 helpful votes
6. Re: Current rules to visit London from US
Save

Please don't look for loopholes the UK has had to endure months of lockdown and none of us want to experience that again, so please follow our quarantine rules. Better still wait until there are no restrictions and then travel.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
13,889 posts
76 reviews
112 helpful votes
7. Re: Current rules to visit London from US
Save

Another American feeing sorry for our tourist industry. Please don’t we are doing fine

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,614 posts
71 reviews
42 helpful votes
8. Re: Current rules to visit London from US
Save

If the OP's daughter is not a US citizen, she cannot currently enter the US if she has been in the UK or Schengen area in the preceding fortnight.

Greece is not currently on the UK green list. It has the same status as the US. Portugal and Iceland are on the green list. If you stay there for 10 days (no idea if it's possible for you to enter them or if they require US visitors to quarantine), you would not be subject to UK quarantine but you would still need to take a test before arrival and a further PCR test on day 2.

The current rules would allow you to quarantine with your daughter but you would be encouraged to minimise contact with her, which might be psychologically difficult if you have been apart for a long time.

The green list is meant to be reviewed every 3 weeks and countries may be added (or indeed removed).

No one knows what changes are likely in future. A lot will depend on the spread of the so-called Indian variant. The pessimist in me is starting to expect lockdown 4 in London and further restrictions, not further loosening, but my crystal ball is a bit hazy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,614 posts
71 reviews
42 helpful votes
9. Re: Current rules to visit London from US
Save

Also, re the day 5 test, it depends on who you book with. When I returned to the UK last month, I booked my test to release with a company local to my house. My husband had to go pick up the test at their collection site (a pharmacy). I swabbed myself and then I was allowed to take it to the lab, which had a box outside for drop offs. They analysed the swab and emailed me within 12 hours.

Both the pharmacy and lab were within walking distance of our house, which was important because we don't have a car and I was not allowed to take public transport while in quarantine.

Most of the companies I looked at had different prices depending on how quickly I wanted the results. Because I arrived on a Monday, my day 5 was the Saturday (arrival day = day 0) and some of the rapid options weren't available because it was a weekend.

I actually got my day 5 result before my day 2 result. My day 2 and 8 tests were sent by post and returned in a Covid priority post box, but it still took longer than collecting and delivering the tests by hand.

If any of your day 2, 5 or 8 tests are positive, you must quarantine for a further 10 days.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Salta, Bolivia
Level Contributor
7,069 posts
329 reviews
179 helpful votes
10. Re: Current rules to visit London from US
Save

"What if I arrive June 25th or so? Will the rules be different?" A few days ago I would have said almost certainly. Most restrictions were due to be lifted by 21 June. Bilateral discussions have been ongoing between the US and U.K. , US and EU etc..for sometime now The U.K. is on the point of issuing "vaccine passports" via the NHS app and I imagine the US will be coming up with something similar. BUT the "Indian variant" was allowed into the country and is now spreading fast in certain areas. The authorities have moved quickly in an attempt to contain the spread but I suspect it will be a couple of weeks before we know whether these attempts have been successful or not. As a result , was was a reasonably certain way out of lockdown and restrictions now suddenly begins to look less certain.

As it stands at the moment, you could quarantine with your daughter for the required time, test and then go out and about. That may still be the case in late June or, the US could be green listed by then and you would be free to go about in relative normality OR it could go the other way and travel could be banned completely. Probably best to wait a week or two and see how things pan out. I suspect there will be regular updates coming through as thing progress here in teh coming weeks

Reply to: Current rules to visit London from US
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.