We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Safety

3 posts
1 review
London Safety
Save

Hi,

I have tickets booked for November at the 02 arena to see Elton John and I have an Airbnb booked for that evening 1.4 miles away. I intend walking back from the 02 afterwards as 1.4 miles does not take me long to walk, the route back is almost entirely down Olympian Way which is alongside the thames.

I am a very confident walker and I generally feel safe at night, however my knowledge of London is fairly limited, would people consider walking down Olympian Way at the dead of night as safe? is that part of london a safe place to walk at night? or would people advise getting a taxi back to my accomodation?

Thanks in Advance

11 replies to this topic
Beckenham, United...
Level Contributor
17,082 posts
34 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: London Safety
Save

Olympian Way runs all around the peninsula, can you be more specific on the location of your accommodation please.

3 posts
1 review
2. Re: London Safety
Save

So I will be walking from the 02 arena on the side where the golf range and Studio 338 is, my Air Bnb is down ChristChurch Way if that helps

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: London Safety
Save

I suggest you try this in Google Streetview, an amateur contributor has had a go at recording the path, he seems to struggle with the concept of where North is but the pictures are clear enough and the ones around the dry dock and concrete mixing plant are only a few weeks old.

London, United...
Level Contributor
806 posts
13 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: London Safety
Save

I am familiar with the Thames path here and it isn't a route I'd be keen on in the dark. The path in some places can get very wet if there is a lot of rain and/or high tides, something that might be tricky to negotiate in the dark. Personally I'd go on the road (I mean, the footpath along the road I should add!), either via the footbridge over the A102 and then along Tunnel Ave/Blackwall Lane, or down Millennium Way and Blackwall Ave.

Edited: May 14, 2021, 11:38 pm
Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
5,516 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: London Safety
Save

I can't comment on the ThamesPath/Olympian Way aspect from experience as I don't know it just there, but on the map it looks a bit wiggly around wharf/quay areas and likely to take longer than the main road. Instinct tells me that as it's not a thoroughfare, normally the Path just there would be a bit deserted at night and I'd avoid it. I wonder how well lit it is?

1000s of people will be leaving the arena and the Peninsula along those main roads. I wouldn't have expected them to have thinned all that much by the time you get to Christchurch Way. So I'd feel safe doing that.

Whether lots of people, after such a concert, choose to walk the Thames Path in large numbers, making it quite reasonable to do, I have no idea ; hope someone with experience responds.

Beckenham, United...
Level Contributor
17,082 posts
34 reviews
11 helpful votes
6. Re: London Safety
Save

For Christchurch Way I would get the bus, 188 or 422, to one of the stops on Blackwall Lane after passing under the A102 'motorway' then walk through one of the roads that links to Christchurch Lane depending on the actual location of your airbnb. Or take the 129 or 188 to the Tyler Street stop on Trafalgar Road.

The fare will be £1.55 using a contactless bank car or Phone Pay if you don't have an oyster card.

We have got the bus away from the O2 in the past and the buses arrive and depart frequently, see the spider map for details at https://content.tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-maps/north-greenwich-a4-0520.pdf

3 posts
1 review
7. Re: London Safety
Save

Thanks all, it might be better sticking to the main road, according to Google maps it's slightly longer but if that means I'm safe then I'm happy with that! I think I will just go with the crowd as I'm obviously safer like that than I would be by myself!

Interesting about the bus, always an option if the weather is bad but I assume the buses will be absolutely packed after the concert!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
277 reviews
107 helpful votes
8. Re: London Safety
Save

Actually, the buses are not that busy. The queues are generally for the tube

Beckenham, United...
Level Contributor
17,082 posts
34 reviews
11 helpful votes
9. Re: London Safety
Save

In November we could be back to some normality but you have the choice of 3 buses. We usually get on the first bus that arrives which can be an additional double decker bus added as the normal bus on our route is the single decker 108.

From Monday 17th May TfL have announced that the number of passengers on the buses will be doubled from what it has been over the past year, this means double decker bus capacity will be 60 passengers.

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
5,516 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
10. Re: London Safety
Save

What I didnt like about the Thames Path just there, from the map, was the number of bends and corners. I don't think you get a clear view ahead for very long, or rather there are a lot of places where you don't.

Reply to: London Safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.