We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harry Potter Studio tour before flight?

Denver
Level Contributor
20 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Harry Potter Studio tour before flight?

We arrive in London on Saturday night, and fly on to our next destination Sunday evening at 5pm. We already are booked at a hotel near LHR. We will be passing through London on our way out of Europe for another few days.

My question is this: If we take an early Sunday morning tour (9am or 10am) of the studios (arrive via Uber or cab), and leave by 1:00pm to get back to the hotel to collect luggage and get to the airport for our flight, is this too chaotic? I figure we need to be to the airport by 3pm.

Thank You!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Europe
Europe
World
21 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Harry Potter Studio tour before flight?

Personally I don't think you've left enough contingency. The M25 between Watford and Heathrow is the busiest section. And the area around the A41 where you're going has retail parks nearby including a big Asda. It gets busy round there too on a Sunday lunchtime.

You could be fine. But knowing the area and the journey, I would want more time in case of issues.

Mentioned in this post
Watford
Watford
Hertfordshire, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Harry Potter Studio tour before flight?

Current traffic on this Sunday from Warner Brothers studio to Heathrow is 28 minutes. I think you would be fine, even if you hit a little traffic to do the Making of Harry Potter and then catch your flight.

Another option is taking your luggage with your to the studios and leave it in the cloakroom. This way you won't have to go back to your hotel, you can go right from the studios to Heathrow.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Warner Bros. Studio Tour London - The Making of Harry Potter
Warner Bros. Studio Tour...
34,398 Reviews
Leavesden, UK
Cardiff
Level Contributor
421 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Harry Potter Studio tour before flight?

Just make sure there is nothing of relevance going on in London that weekend that will affect travel. For example 22 April is the London Marathon.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Denver
Level Contributor
20 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Harry Potter Studio tour before flight?

Is traffic bad on Sundays as well?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Harry Potter Studio tour before flight?

Can be. That motorway rings London and so is one big circle - it’s worse in the week for sure but it’s a major motorway. An accident on it can cause huge tailbacks. Saying that, I think leaving 2.5 hours for a normally 30 minute journey is safe enough. I’ve been delayed there an hour but you’d have to be really unlucky to face a 4 hour delay or something.

Edited: January 15, 2018, 2:01 am
Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Luton, United...
Level Contributor
385 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Harry Potter Studio tour before flight?

It can be bad on a Sunday afternoon many Londoners leave to go to the country on a Friday night, and return to their homes on a Sunday afternoon ready to start the working week.

Having said that you should be okay, unless it clashes with a major event or a bad accident.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
43,535 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Harry Potter Studio tour before flight?

Sunday mornings will be as quiet as the M25 ever gets and the route in will take you well away from the roundabout mentioned above where Asda and Sainsburys are.

It can get a little busier from early afternoon onwards but I would be surprised if there were any major problems but just in case I think you should book a local Watford company (and definitely not Uber) who will know alternative routes. I'd leave no later than 1.30 but that will still give you four and a half hours assuming you book the 9.00am time slot.

Mentioned in this post
Watford
Watford
Hertfordshire, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Harry Potter Studio tour before flight?

Getaway - in case you’re not aware, Adamhornets is our local guru for all things Watford. He has to answer all the HP travel questions. 😜

Mentioned in this post
Watford
Watford
Hertfordshire, UK
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
43,535 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Harry Potter Studio tour before flight?

Thanks for the kind words but despite living here for 61 years and have driven that stretch of the M25 far too often for my own liking I still get amazed by the things I don't know. Having said that I do know that the motorway on a Sunday up until mid afternoon won't be too bad...unless of course there is a problem!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Harry Potter Studio tour before flight?

" I figure we need to be to the airport by 3pm."

If you need to be at the airport by 3.00pm you're probably going to be leaving the Marriott by 2.45. So arriving at the Marriott maybe 30 minutes earlier to sort out your luggage and tidy/freshen up? Say 2.15-ish? Will you definitely be out by 1.00pm latest from HP ready to go via minicab to the airport?

I can't see that journey being less than 40 minutes on a good Sunday.

But as I said, you could be fine. For me, personally, if there was a flight to catch soon after, I would rather get to the airport sooner, clear security and be perusing the duty free for an extra 30-60 minutes. But we all have different levels of aversion to risk.

I think Adam lives in Watford. My London home is next door in Northwood and I use the 25 to visit friends in Windlesham and Gerrards Cross quite frequently. It is pretty unpredictable and Sunday lunchtimes are different to Sunday mornings.

Hopefully the OP will come back and say everything went well and there were no hold-ups.

Mentioned in this post
Watford
Watford
Hertfordshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Reply to: Harry Potter Studio tour before flight?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted