We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dehydrated food?

Missouri
Level Contributor
33 posts
Dehydrated food?

Hello all. I have over a dozen did allergies. When I travel in the US I take dehydrated food, since I basically have to make everything from scratch in a full kitchen, which I don't have when I travel, and I couldn't use the pots and dishes if I did because of cross contamination.

Can I bring dehydrated food into the UK from the US? They are dehydrated meals I make myself, since I can't have the commercial ones. I've put off international travel all my life because of food.

London
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
153 reviews
1. Re: Dehydrated food?

I don't see why not.

I have to ask.... What is the risk of "cross contamination" from using a clean saucepan?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,347 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Dehydrated food?

'I have over a dozen did allergies.' What does this mean?

'I couldn't use the pots and dishes if I did because of cross contamination.' Can you not give pots, pans and plates a wash and bring your own cutlery?

'Can I bring dehydrated food into the UK from the US?' Yes, but why do so? 'I've put off international travel all my life because of food.' There are people around the world who have food allergies and/or sensitivities, and to that end you'll find (in this case) food labelling in the UK very good. You may bring dried food if you wish but you will find grocery stores and speciality shops full of options as well.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,844 posts
235 reviews
3. Re: Dehydrated food?

My DH has probably as many food allergies as you, but he gets along by being careful and asking questions of staff, reading labels and the like. He carries an epi-pen, always.

As above, food labels in the UK are crystal clear, and you can find some very simple fare, if that is what you are more comfortable with.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,412 posts
217 reviews
4. Re: Dehydrated food?

I'm not sure why you'd bring your own dehydrated food to cook from scratch when you can buy fresh ingredients here in shops, supermarkets and markets. Visiting those would be all part of the experience of being in a different place. Also, as already stated, food labelling is very strong here and allergens taken seriously.

How are you going to cook the dehydrated food though, if you can't use others' pans or (presumably) plates, cutlery, cups etc? Perhaps you'll bring those with you and rely on a kettle to reconstitute your food?

But why not rent an apartment and bring a pan, plates etc from home? Just avoid the microwave in your accommodation. Microwaves frequently have food remnants in the corners however thoroughly cleaned.

Like others I don't know what a did allergy is but if it's as severe as you suggest please make sure you keep your medications with you at all times and don't, as others report, put them in your checked luggage.

Edited: August 20, 2017, 2:21 pm
london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
13,418 posts
279 reviews
5. Re: Dehydrated food?

I can't find did allergies even on Google - and to me, using dehydrated food is the opposite of making everything from scratch. Surely a flat with a kitchen would have a dishwasher and then the pots etc would be clean? Or you could just buy a coupe of cheap things while here.

Anyway, food labelling of processed food in the UK is extremely detailed as I know from when my husband went on a low carb diet. And we have lots of health food stores which cater for particular needs, as well as all supermarkets having organic products

https:/…

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
24,049 posts
378 reviews
6. Re: Dehydrated food?

"did allergies"

---

It's probably 'food allergies' which has been auto corrected.

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
109 reviews
7. Re: Dehydrated food?

I doubt there would be a problem with bringing dehydrated food but where do you think you are visiting? The UK is a developed country with things called shops & supermarkets with extensive ranges and we have some of the best food labelling requirements in the world (and don't permit many of the things that are used in US food!). Why bring processed dehydrated food when you can buy fresh in markets and supermarkets? The cross-contamination thing is beyond bizarre (indeed suggests a level of hysteria to me) - unless you are in the habit of using dirty cookware.If you are worried about surfaces absorbing "forbidden" allergens/chemicals/whatever you should thing about how foods are dehydrated and the vessels used for this purpose in an industrial setting!

London
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
153 reviews
8. Re: Dehydrated food?

You have really intrigued me.

How do you dehydrate these dishes you have prepared?

If the dehydration is not done properly you are exposing yourself to all sorts of problems with bacterial and toxin poisoning.

What allergies do you have as all foods sold in the UK are clearly labelled.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,357 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Dehydrated food?

The "good" news is that you can still buy (70's classic) Vesta dehydrated curry from Poundstretcher https:/…vesta-beef-curry-236g

Mike

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Dehydrated food?

UK hotel rooms rarely include any kitchen facilities apart from an electric kettle. So if you need equipment like a microwave to reconstitute your food, you should probably stay in an apartment (flat as such places are known here) rather than a hotel. Will you need to buy a brand new microwave? If you cannot use clean pans then presumably there is a similar problem with microwaves.