We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Leicestershire fro work for 2 weeks!

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Staying in Leicestershire fro work for 2 weeks!

Hi everyone,

I am coming to Leicestershire for 2 weeks of work at the end of June / beginning of July. I will be travelling all over the county but will not be in the city of Leicester. I wondered if anyone knows of a good area I could base myself in for the two weeks? I usually do airbnb so I can have my own independence in terms of coming and going as well as eating. I really don't know anything about the area and don't know anyone who can advise me! Aside from work, I like plenty of options for going out for a nice meal, opportunities for walking / activities as well as a nearby gym and shopping. I like to get out and about and enjoy / get to know the areas I stay in! Also, if possible, I would like to be in an area that I can access the rest of the county fairly easily!

Any advice, greatly appreciated :)

10 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
31,973 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: Staying in Leicestershire fro work for 2 weeks!

Where's the Leicestershire Office of your work?

Maybe it's in a good place to stay to start with. Otherwise we can suggest places near that might be a worthwhile.

Why use Air B'n'B? Does not your work stump-up for a decent Hotel/apartment for you? Surely the local office has tried-and-tested places that they can recommend....

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: Staying in Leicestershire fro work for 2 weeks!

As you are travelling all over the county, it would seem somewhere central would be appropriate to base yourself. The most central place in Leicestershire is the city of Leicester!. Let us know if you are predominenly in north south east or west. There are quite pleasant small towns and villages all over the county.

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Staying in Leicestershire fro work for 2 weeks!

Hi guys, thanks for your replies! The office is County Hall which is in Glenfield! But I will only be in the office once or twice to pick up files and drop them back etc. I am self employed and just coming in for a few weeks to help out with some work around the county. They haven't told me where I will be going yet apart from saying I will be working throughout the county! I will be paying for accommodation myself as I am self-employed and I prefer airbnb to a hotel (unless there is somewhere wonderful you can recommend). I do like a bit of life wherever I am but I am worried if I go into the city it will be difficult to get in and out of in terms of traffic!?!

p.s. I have asked the office for recommendations but no one was willing to recommend anywhere and I really don't have a clue where to base myself!

Edited: June 07, 2018, 11:12 pm
middle england
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
64 reviews
4. Re: Staying in Leicestershire fro work for 2 weeks!

Glenfield is actually just over the city boundary, so the city would give you the widest choice of accommodation. County Hall is on the main A50 which of course is busy, it's difficult to find anywhere on the roads which isn't! There are several bus routes which pass by but I don't suppose they would be much use to you. Loughborough might be an option as it's only about 25 minutes from County Hall and has good (but busy) road connections. It has a wide choice of hotels and guest houses. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with airbnb.

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Staying in Leicestershire fro work for 2 weeks!

Thank you! Then perhaps the city is the best place for me! I shall also look into Loughborough! Thanks for your help :)

Coleorton, United...
Level Contributor
151 posts
254 reviews
6. Re: Staying in Leicestershire fro work for 2 weeks!

Hi

You could look at Loughborough which is just down th A6 and easy to get to county hall.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
3,506 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Staying in Leicestershire fro work for 2 weeks!

You, mention walking. Look up Bradgate Park for outings. There are loads of great footpaths roughly east of Leicester in and around Rutland; attractive villages with nice pubs and food. No doubt there are in other directions too but I know them less well.

middle england
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
64 reviews
8. Re: Staying in Leicestershire fro work for 2 weeks!

There is opportunity for walks in and around Loughborough. There are public woods, Jubilee and Outwoods at Nanpantan just west of the town and a little further is Beacon Hill with great views from the top.The canal and River Soar also offer pleasant walks.

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Staying in Leicestershire fro work for 2 weeks!

Thanks everyone for your tips! I have found out that the main place I will be, will actually be Loughborough! So I can look up accommodation in and around that area. Sounds like there are some lovely things to do there as well so I am looking forward to getting to know the area! Must get searching as I will be arriving in two weeks!!!

middle england
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
64 reviews
10. Re: Staying in Leicestershire fro work for 2 weeks!

Have a look at https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190…

Any specific questions you have you can send me a message and I will try and help.

Reply to: Staying in Leicestershire fro work for 2 weeks!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Leicestershire