We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation

Can I get to Cheltenham from Heathrow Airport on a Saturday? If so, should I book the bus trip ahead of time?

Mentioned in this post
Cheltenham
Cheltenham
Cotswolds, UK
3 replies to this topic
Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation

Direct service each 2hr 30 min, no need to travel into London.

https:/…heathrow

I don't think booking is 100% needed, might choose depending on scheduled arrival time vs departure. Can 'protect' your ticket with £5 additional fee. Scroll down to 'Flexible add-on'. There are several stops in Cheltenham, do you know your exact destination?

Alternatives include Rail-air bus to Reading or bus to Swindon, and then train to Cheltenham, I think direct bus preferable.

http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk ... for general planning, also shows Megabus service.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Cheltenham
Cheltenham
Cotswolds, UK
Swindon
Swindon
Wiltshire, UK
UK
Level Contributor
280 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation

If getting the coach I'd always book a seat. Allow time from your arrival to get from one of the various terminals to the central coach station.

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation

<<If getting the coach I'd always book a seat>> I don't think you can book a seat - only buy a ticket. The difficulty with this journey is the long interval between departures, if flight arrival is scheduled an hour before a departure do you buy a ticket for that service, or the next which would be 3hrs 30 min away?

It also isn't clear on National Express web-site what policy applies to overbooking, don't recall any TA posts on the subject. So as originally said I'd make a decision based on timings.

Anyway OP doesn't seemed thrilled by response.

Mentioned in this post
National Express
National Express
655 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
Reply to: Transportation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cheltenham