We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel time from Marlow to Portsmouth

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
93 reviews
96 helpful votes
Travel time from Marlow to Portsmouth
Save

Hi All!

We need to be in Portsmouth for 7.15pm on Thursday to catch the overnight ferry. What time would you recommend leaving Marlow? Google says travel time is an hour and a half but is this true?

Thanks so much!

Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
6,264 posts
1,907 reviews
1,926 helpful votes
1. Re: Travel time from Marlow to Portsmouth
Save

Without looking i guess this is about 85/90 mile journey and you will possibly have to negotiate a couple of motorways which baring in mind begin to get busy at 4 pm onwards for the evening rush hour.I would consider leaving Marlow at 3.30 at the latest.....

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
3,239 posts
27 reviews
28 helpful votes
2. Re: Travel time from Marlow to Portsmouth
Save

An hour and three quarters would be more like it but obviously you need to allow longer than that in case of delays. I'd allow at least two and a half hours to be safe. Incidentally, Google travel times are usually optimistic. The AA or RAC websites are more realistic.

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
73 reviews
38 helpful votes
3. Re: Travel time from Marlow to Portsmouth
Save

I would give it two hours via M4/M25/A3 but it readdy depends on the traffic on the M25. To be on the safe side I would leave at 4pm.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
93 reviews
96 helpful votes
4. Re: Travel time from Marlow to Portsmouth
Save

Brilliant thanks you three! I was thinking of allowing 3 hours for travelling but might add a bit more now!!

Edited: 6 years ago
Essex
Level Contributor
35,230 posts
62 reviews
198 helpful votes
5. Re: Travel time from Marlow to Portsmouth
Save

You need to be at the port at least 90min ahead of your ferry departure time at present, as the new Passport checking regulations are slowing thing down considerably.

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
48,192 posts
103 reviews
425 helpful votes
6. Re: Travel time from Marlow to Portsmouth
Save

http://goo.gl/bW3BIv

the aaa route planner suggests avoiding M25....80 miles , so with the passport control etc...I would leave marlow not later than 2.30.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
267 reviews
275 helpful votes
7. Re: Travel time from Marlow to Portsmouth
Save

Why not go early to avoid the traffic and spend an afternoon in Portsmouth - it really is a lovely place since its had a face lift a few years ago.

8. Re: Travel time from Marlow to Portsmouth

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: June 11, 2016, 5:17 am
Get answers to your questions about Buckinghamshire
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.