We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restrictions on bus capacity to ease

Torquay, United...
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
29,237 posts
45 reviews
38 helpful votes
Restrictions on bus capacity to ease
Save

From 17th May, the advice to bus operators in England on restricting on-board capacity will be eased - although not abolished completely.

From Monday 17th May the advice will be that all forward-facing seats can be occupied. Sideways- and rear-facing seats should continue to be labelled as "out of use" and standing passengers should not be permitted, except for passengers with disabilities.

Masks should continue to be worn except where the passenger has a medical exemption. Windows should be left open to allow ventilation and passengers should continue to spread themselves out on less busy journeys.

The changes advice follows a risk-based case made by the Confederation of Passenger Transport, which believes that continuing with existing capacity restriction risks long-term damage to patronage. The current restrictions create difficulties at busy times and some customers could be diverted to "unsustainable modes".

Edited: May 13, 2021, 1:21 am
12 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
55 reviews
54 helpful votes
1. Re: Restrictions on bus capacity to ease
Save

To be honest in my area the restrictions have been totally abolished months back, I am one of the few who go to work on Sundays, I get the bus at around 2.20 and its often packed (standing room only)

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
362 posts
44 reviews
32 helpful votes
2. Re: Restrictions on bus capacity to ease
Save

Many thanks, wirewiper, for this info. I've been hesitant to wait for certain buses in case they went past with a 'Bus Full' sign on.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
48,613 posts
67 reviews
119 helpful votes
3. Re: Restrictions on bus capacity to ease
Save

Useful to know. I wouldn't have been aware of that if you hadn't said.

With our bus services cut so much here many stopped using them because they were so crowded pre covid.

Now with 'stay at home' not long over you don't get news spread locally.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
14,434 posts
112 reviews
178 helpful votes
4. Re: Restrictions on bus capacity to ease
Save

I never travel on a bus but I have noticed that on the buses that pass along my main road there are never many people on them.

Whether that is still due to Covid or that people have got out of the habit of using them I cannot say

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
27,828 posts
72 reviews
124 helpful votes
5. Re: Restrictions on bus capacity to ease
Save

The bus I get home from work in the evening isn't usually full (on route 80/80A), but I've seen buses on other routes (75/86/86A) that are packed. These tend to be on routes that pass through a part of Liverpool with a large population of students, and we all know how useless they have been at social distancing throughout the pandemic!

As for keeping windows open on the buses, all it needs is someone to feel a bit cold (like the women in my office who say loudly "it's FREEEEZING!", then whack the heating up causing everyone but themselves to sweat their armpits off) and someone will close the already open window.

I get the train to work in the morning and the windows are always closed, so I open a couple of them next to where I am sat. (It's always one of the old 156 Sprinters which does actually have windows that open, and not one of these newer 195's that has air conditioning that can be hit or miss).

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,444 posts
398 reviews
148 helpful votes
6. Re: Restrictions on bus capacity to ease
Save

>>standing passengers should not be permitted<<

I don't think this was ever enforced in London

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
27,828 posts
72 reviews
124 helpful votes
7. Re: Restrictions on bus capacity to ease
Save

"Masks should continue to be worn except where the passenger has a medical exemption."

Some bus drivers enforce it, others don't, because they don't want a gobby 14 year old school child giving them a load of verbal abuse.

And in the past year I've only ever seen one train guard ask someone where their mask was. The passenger ummed and ahed, then mumbled something along the lines of "I haven't got one", and the guard just walked off!

Edited: May 13, 2021, 5:18 pm
Witney, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
81 reviews
78 helpful votes
8. Re: Restrictions on bus capacity to ease
Save

Excellent news - although my local services are so poorly used at present that I fear for their future. Plenty of cars on the road, though...

As someone who is exempt from wearing a mask I must say bus drivers (and GWR train staff) have been universally kind and understanding. Rude, entitled and nosey members of the public not so much...

Edited: May 13, 2021, 6:20 pm
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
9. Re: Restrictions on bus capacity to ease
Save

not sure my local buses ever had a restriction - they are so poor hardly anyone uses them anyway!

Torquay, United...
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
29,237 posts
45 reviews
38 helpful votes
10. Re: Restrictions on bus capacity to ease
Save

Bumping this thread in case anyone has missed it - bus capacities increase from tomorrow (17th May)

Reply to: Restrictions on bus capacity to ease
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.