We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from South Africa to Uk..

Siem Reap, Cambodia
2 posts
Travel from South Africa to Uk..
Save

I am UK passport holder currently in South Africa looking to return home..i have no desire to spend time doing expensive quarantine which is incurred if i take a direct flight.. As of now it seems my only way to circumvent this is by a 10-14 day stopover in another country in which SA is not on their red list and also not on the red list for the UK..my initial research shows that the only country out there which i can do this indirect route through is EGYPT..

If any other intrepid soul is attempting this journey imminenently and could possibly offer up any alternative insights i would appreciate any forthcoming advice..

Thanks in anticipation..YC

5 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Travel from South Africa to Uk..
Save

Serious question- why would we help you to avoid a quarantine system that has been set up to prevent people from bringing a deadly virus into this country?

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire, London
Level Contributor
21,818 posts
625 reviews
258 helpful votes
2. Re: Travel from South Africa to Uk..
Save

Imagine being 9 days into a stay in Egypt and Egypt going onto the red list and then you will have to quarantine in U.K. anyway.

You asked for advice: ok, if you want to come home get on any possible plane and do your quarantine.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Travel from South Africa to Uk..
Save

do I read this correctly? In order to avoid the cost of hotel quarantine in UK you would spend extra money on more complicated flights PLUS the cost hotels and meals for 10-14 nights in another country PLUS the costs of the two compulsory tests whilst self isolating when you do eventually arrive in UK?

Or is it the case that the cost isn't the issue, that you just don't want to be cooped up in a managed quarantine and think by doing this you can spend time out and about in Egypt and then ignore the self quarantine rules when you finally arrive around the date when you would have been free from quarantine?

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,079 posts
396 reviews
147 helpful votes
4. Re: Travel from South Africa to Uk..
Save

Are you sure the cost of flying to another country and paying for accommodation there, and then flying to London, won't outweigh the cost of just flying direct to London and staying in a hotel here?

Edited: April 20, 2021, 3:58 pm
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
9 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Travel from South Africa to Uk..
Save

I've made the point above on the South Africa TA forum. By the time you have paid for two one-way flights, PCR tests twice plus the £210 mandatory UK arrival tests, visas, transport, hotels and food, the cost really isn't that different to just accepting a hotel quarantine. When the hotel quarantine first came in, you had the options of Qatar and Kenya but now those options are gone. For any possible options you find use this tool to check what the entry and transit requirements are for your circumstances: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm

Epidemiologists have been saying that, as vaccinations go up and the virus is still prevalent, we expect more variants of concern to occur and spread. So it is going to be interesting politically which countries remain or go onto the 'red list'. I personally do think the hotel quarantine will have to end at some stage for practical reasons, but we would all be guessing as to when, and I think more countries will be added to the 'red list'. The legislation is likely to change on or around 17 May 2021. I would emphasise the above point, if you travel to Egypt for 11 nights (guaranteeing yourself 10 days outside of SA) what would you do if Egypt is added to the list?

I would also check entry requirements very carefully, e.g. Egypt requires you to have valid travel insurance for health / medical. So you need to have a travel insurance that is covering travel against FCDO guidance ('high risk insurance') to meet this entry requirement.

Reply to: Travel from South Africa to Uk..
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.