We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recently recovered from COVID - do I still need a COVID test

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
28 reviews
35 helpful votes
Recently recovered from COVID - do I still need a COVID test
Save

Recovered from COVID recently (within the last month) am I still required to take a COVID test prior to travel to the UK? It seems that some tests can come back positive with those that just recovered. I have paperwork from the country stating I am recovered. I am a UK resident (student visa). Thank you.

25 replies to this topic
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
13,770 posts
76 reviews
112 helpful votes
1. Re: Recently recovered from COVID - do I still need a COVID test
Save

I can’t see anything in the regulations which would suggest you don’t need one

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,418 posts
20 reviews
47 helpful votes
2. Re: Recently recovered from COVID - do I still need a COVID test
Save

No, I can’t see anything either and I’ve not heard of anything.

As most people wouldn’t have any evidence of recovery from the virus it would seem over complicated to have such an exemption.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
28 reviews
35 helpful votes
3. Re: Recently recovered from COVID - do I still need a COVID test
Save

The US does provide this information. If you had a positive COVID test you are required to quarantine (obviously). Once you have finished your quarantine the government sends you a letter automatically that is used to allow travel, etc. If I take a test it is very likely it could back positive, even though I have fully recovered. Not sure why the UK does not allow this declaration. I guess I'll have to take my chance. But seems alot to test 3x quarantine etc when you've already had a positive COVID test and recovered.

Edited: April 20, 2021, 5:37 am
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
71 reviews
42 helpful votes
4. Re: Recently recovered from COVID - do I still need a COVID test
Save

Look into antigen testing. It's less sensitive, so less likely to come back positive if you have recovered. It is acceptable for the pre-departure test to fly to the UK, but not for the day 2&8 tests you must have after arrival. If you test positive on day 2, it will slightly extend your quarantine, but you would not have to take the day 8 test.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
13,770 posts
76 reviews
112 helpful votes
5. Re: Recently recovered from COVID - do I still need a COVID test
Save

It doesn’t matter what the US government allow or don’t allow, if you want to come to the UK you have to follow our rules

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
28 reviews
35 helpful votes
6. Re: Recently recovered from COVID - do I still need a COVID test
Save

I never said I wasn't going to follow the rules. I asked a question. Also I wanted to know if perhaps someone knew if the UK did the same thing. Thank you for your kindness.

Edited: April 20, 2021, 5:49 am
North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire, London
Level Contributor
21,833 posts
625 reviews
258 helpful votes
7. Re: Recently recovered from COVID - do I still need a COVID test
Save

The UK requirements are specified here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england

Tests are mandatory but there are exemptions related to employment rather than medical history.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,110 posts
396 reviews
147 helpful votes
8. Re: Recently recovered from COVID - do I still need a COVID test
Save

All people travelling to the UK are required to present a negative covid test on arrival.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
9. Re: Recently recovered from COVID - do I still need a COVID test
Save

The link is post 7 is for arrivals in England

Scotland https://www.gov.scot/coronavirus-covid-19/

Wales https://gov.wales/coronavirus-travel

Northern Ireland https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/information-and-services/coronavirus-covid-19/travel-advice-and-guidance

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
6,552 posts
75 reviews
60 helpful votes
10. Re: Recently recovered from COVID - do I still need a COVID test
Save

OP, you did say (in post 3) you don't know why the UK doesn't allow the declaration that the US gives.... that does sound like a criticism not a question....

Reply to: Recently recovered from COVID - do I still need a COVID test
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.