We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo weekend somewhere in England

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Solo weekend somewhere in England
Save

Hi there!

I just wanna preface this by saying I know this is asking a lot from people, so if there are better resources for this, please let me know. i'm just asking because i'm drawing a total blank!

For the last weekend of June my s/o is having her hen do, so I thought it would be a good time to take an extended solo vacation somewhere in the UK. I want to go from Friday to either Sunday or Monday. I don't want to drive anywhere, so places must be easily reachable by coach or train (preferably from Leeds, as that's where I live).

I just want to do something I haven't done before, or see somewhere new, have an adventure by myself. I do love big cities and towns, and have spent lots of time in Brum, Notts, and London (although London is so vast there's plenty I probably don't know about). However, if a more rural region is beautiful, has easy hiking trails, or has interesting history, I'd be game to!

My budget for accomodation would preferably be less than £50/night, and I have no objection to homestays or hostels (infact, I'd probably prefer the latter out of all arrangements). Also, anywhere I go would have to have decent veggie food.

Thank you so much for any suggestions, I'm truly open to most things!

15 replies to this topic
Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
5,206 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Solo weekend somewhere in England
Save

Overview rail diagram (small stations not shown) shows trains in all directions from Leeds.

https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/river?intcmp=29736

A major factor at that time might be the sheer number of Brits holidaying in the U.K. , with accommodation in the most popular places getting very booked up, and the same phenomenon pushing up prices.

Not sure exactly why you're drawing a blank but a couple of suggestions to start you researching:

Rural: The Yorkshire Dales aren't far from you. Train to Skipton, perhaps stay there, then use local buses to explore (Grassington etc). https://www.dalesbus.org

As you're not averse to cities, have a look at Newcastle upon Tyne. Definitely still accommodation there within your budget. As well as the city itself, you could to a day trip to coast at Tynemouth or Alnmouth, or to historic Durham.

Edited: April 18, 2021, 10:43 am
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
27,643 posts
72 reviews
124 helpful votes
2. Re: Solo weekend somewhere in England
Save

Liverpool or Chester.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
19,288 posts
268 reviews
142 helpful votes
3. Re: Solo weekend somewhere in England
Save

Newcastle? Liverpool? York? My preference would be for the latter. It’s got history, great museums, shops, lots of vegetarian options, walks etc.

Edited: April 18, 2021, 1:39 pm
London, United...
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
396 reviews
147 helpful votes
4. Re: Solo weekend somewhere in England
Save

Oxford

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Solo weekend somewhere in England
Save

All good suggestions so far, especially Oxford if you've never been.

Bristol? A bit further afield, but an easy train journey. Lots of history and things to see - good food and drink scene. You could combine it with an afternoon walking around Bath too.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
221 posts
153 reviews
74 helpful votes
6. Re: Solo weekend somewhere in England
Save

You mention hiking so why not Eastbourne. Yes further afield than he other suggestions but you have wonderful outdoor options on The South Downs.

Catch a bus to Seaford and then walk back to Eastbourne along the coast for unbeatable views. Beachy Head and Birling Gap along the way. Other ideas are visit Towner Art Gallery (if open) and a visit to Pevensey Castle There is a YHA or plenty of AIRBNB options well within your price range

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
48,251 posts
67 reviews
118 helpful votes
7. Re: Solo weekend somewhere in England
Save

What sort of adventure?

Do you want to do something like wind surfing, kayaking rivers, snorkeling with seals?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
8. Re: Solo weekend somewhere in England
Save

I actually really like this idea! It's far away, but with my railcard the trains aren't too bad! I think I might train to Brighton, stay a night, then spend a couple of days walking to Eastbourne (probably stopping at Seaford), before heading back via London! Gives me an opportunity to do some hiking in places where I probably wouldn't have the opportunity to visit any other time

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16,592 posts
65 reviews
27 helpful votes
9. Re: Solo weekend somewhere in England
Save

I know your title says England but I’d throw Edinburgh into the ring

Edited: April 19, 2021, 1:09 am
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
10. Re: Solo weekend somewhere in England
Save

Yeah, my parents suggested Edinburgh, and whilst I would love to go, for some reason the trains are even more expensive than most other destinations in the UK, even to further away destinations!

Reply to: Solo weekend somewhere in England
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of in . If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.