We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jealous of Our Neighbours

Level Contributor
81 posts
Jealous of Our Neighbours
Save

We are looking “ up the road” of those in Northern Ireland who will be able to return to normal stuff ahead of us here who won’t we going to the pub etc. before people on the other side of the border .

Stay safe and we are hoping we can do the same soon.

18 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
35,283 posts
62 reviews
198 helpful votes
1. Re: Jealous of Our Neighbours
Save

Stay Safe!

IMNSHO, you are better off anyway!

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
22,586 posts
23 reviews
17 helpful votes
2. Re: Jealous of Our Neighbours
Save

Well, I might be jealous if I lived in land locked Cavan, but as someone who lives in Kerry, I am quite happy with how things are . Did a part of the ring of Kerry yesterday, it was amazing, no tour buses on the road!

! Quite sad as well though, as everywhere was shut up. It was like driving through a disaster movie. Doing Slea Head today.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
48,271 posts
67 reviews
118 helpful votes
3. Re: Jealous of Our Neighbours
Save

Don't be Jealous.

We've opened up here this week. People crowded at bar and pub tables all over each other. People piling down from higher infected parts who seem to never have heard of distancing and look at you weirdly as you stand back from them. Masks don't apply to them.

Put them in or around shops and they are lost in a world of their own.

If only there was a local travel first for a while to see how it goes.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
36,448 posts
81 reviews
67 helpful votes
4. Re: Jealous of Our Neighbours
Save

interesting comment from a "cavan" person ! they have no hesitation crossing the border to avail of services and value for the last 70 or so years, and covid certainly did not stop them continuing that.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
5. Re: Jealous of Our Neighbours
Save

<<< If only there was a local travel first for a while to see how it goes. >>>

I thought we'd been doing that for a while, and it's gone well.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
36,448 posts
81 reviews
67 helpful votes
6. Re: Jealous of Our Neighbours
Save

local travel in ireland was supposed to be restricted to 5 kms, but that did not prevent people from the likes of cavan etc travel all over the country. there was really no policing. i dont know how it was policed in the uk, but these breaches are partly the reason why the virus was spreading

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
21,036 posts
148 reviews
133 helpful votes
7. Re: Jealous of Our Neighbours
Save

Toopaz, post 3, I’m sorry to read that things have reverted to how bad they were last summer in your area, it must be very annoying yet again.

However, I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when I needed to go to the post office. It’s in a large Asda mall with several other shops and I thought I’d look in and if it was too crowded I’d return home and try another time. However, at about 11h there were very few people in the ‘corridor’ area, but all were wearing masks, with gel and a security guard prominently at both ends. I was the only customer in the post office. Most people crossing the car park before and after shopping were just putting masks on or off.

I rarely go into shops, just attend medical appointments and go for local walks, so my experience is very limited, but as the Asda café, large bakers, shop selling glittery tat for girls, shoe shop, 2 pharmacies, opticians, dry cleaner etc have all been allowed to open from the beginning of the week, it was a very pleasant surprise to me, as the Asda complex has been the subject of many complaints about non-wearing of masks etc locally. My good experience won’t entice me to visit more often, but I might not feel so trepidatious if I need to visit the post office again.

Level Contributor
81 posts
8. Re: Jealous of Our Neighbours
Save

Essex Wanderer what does IMNSHO mean?

I’d sell my Granny for a proper hair cut right now . Self styles in front of the mirror havent been great .

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
19,299 posts
268 reviews
142 helpful votes
9. Re: Jealous of Our Neighbours
Save

Translation: In my not so humble opinion

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
105,703 posts
440 reviews
362 helpful votes
10. Re: Jealous of Our Neighbours
Save

We are behind England in easing restrictions here in Wales. That doesn't bother me much, but then I'm the sort of person who would much rather be cautious and safe than rush into something and be sorry.

It probably also helps that I'm in no rush to go to a pub or restaurant and I'm happy to wait until we are allowed to go indoors again.

So I don't feel jealous. I feel fed up with covid, but I remain patient.

Reply to: Jealous of Our Neighbours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about United Kingdom
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.