We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brexit travel rule question

Level Contributor
23 posts
Brexit travel rule question
Save

Hi all, I have a query which I can't find the answer to. Hopefully someone here can help.

I am a British citizen who every year or 18 months or so goes to southern Europe to cycle tour, typically for MORE than 90 days at any one time. With the new Brexit travel regulations this will no longer be possible. However, I just recently received my Italian passport and now have dual citizenship. The passport was issued here in the UK.

So my question is: if I leave the UK on my Italian passport, presumably I am no longer subject to the 90 days in 180 days rule right? Or am I missing something?

In the eyes of the UK government I am travelling on an EU passport so I will be able to come back into the UK whenever I like without triggering any duration-based legislation. In the eyes of the Italian government I am simply back in the EU.

Now considering there are no passport controls on land borders between France, Spain and Italy for example, what's to stop me making my way around these countries for as long as I like? Is there a loophole I'm missing? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom.

14 replies to this topic
Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
70 posts
1. Re: Brexit travel rule question
Save

Surely you can leave and enter the UK on your UK Passport and enter the EU on your Italian one and stop there as long as you want

Level Contributor
23 posts
2. Re: Brexit travel rule question
Save

Thanks for your reply. Hadn't thought of that, but both passports are still ME, and will be linked to my identity profile. If I leave the UK on the British one, and then on arrival in France I present my Italian one, surely that will flag something in the system no?

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire, London
Level Contributor
21,728 posts
625 reviews
258 helpful votes
3. Re: Brexit travel rule question
Save

Why should entry to the Schengen Zone on a Schengen zone passport "flag" anything , thousands , indeed hundreds of thousands do that everyday?

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
3,239 posts
27 reviews
28 helpful votes
4. Re: Brexit travel rule question
Save

Flag up what? Using your UK passport to leave the UK and your Italian one to enter the EU is appropriate for a dual citizen. Just remember, when you finally exit the EU after your stay, to leave using your Italian passport and re-enter the UK using your British passport. Immigration officials are well used to dual citizens.

Level Contributor
23 posts
5. Re: Brexit travel rule question
Save

Because I'm working on the assumption that Schengen area or not, border security will be a corodinated affair across the whole of Europe. French border control would see a 'Schengen' passport which is fine, but surely they would also see that I left the UK on a non-schengen passport and would rightfully be justified to ask what the hell is this guy up to switching passports like that?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
109,778 posts
16 reviews
17 helpful votes
6. Re: Brexit travel rule question
Save

As said in reply #4, "Immigration officials are well used to dual citizens". There is nothing at all unusual about your situation.

Use your UK passport when leaving and entering the UK, and use the Italian passport when entering and leaving the EU (or, more accurately, the Schengen area).

Level Contributor
23 posts
7. Re: Brexit travel rule question
Save

Yes, but I can't return to the UK on my British passport if I stay out for longer than 90 days because then I will be asked why I 'overstayed', regardless of the fact that I presented a different passport when exiting the EU,because on the British system it will simply see a British citizen that had exited the country to go to the EU and is now returning 'late'.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
30,810 posts
357 reviews
1,163 helpful votes
8. Re: Brexit travel rule question
Save

I'm not sure the UK will be too concerned about you overstaying in another country/area.

Norfolk, United...
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
29 reviews
13 helpful votes
9. Re: Brexit travel rule question
Save

The 90 day restriction is imposed by the Schengen states. Only they care whether you abide by the restriction. It doesn't affect or interest the UK government.

Level Contributor
23 posts
10. Re: Brexit travel rule question
Save

Aha! This is the nugget of info that I hadn't occurred to me, thanks! Of course, it is the Schengen area imposing the rule. For some reason I had it in my head that it was a rule instated by the UK. But why on earth would they do that?!

Thanks. And thanks to everyone's super swift replies.

Reply to: Brexit travel rule question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.