We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Declaration Form Transit through Heathrow

United States
Level Contributor
186 posts
10 reviews
12 helpful votes
Declaration Form Transit through Heathrow
Save

My parents (indian citizens) are traveling from Delhi to USA transiting through London. They will be at heathrow airport for a couple of hours and will not need to exit the airport.

They received an email from british airways stating they need to complete a declaration form to travel onward to USA departing from the UK and need to declare one of the valid reasons. Is that really true? Does someone have experience with this? I can't imagine why this would be applicable for transit passengers

5 replies to this topic
North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire, London
Level Contributor
21,819 posts
625 reviews
258 helpful votes
1. Re: Declaration Form Transit through Heathrow
Save

AFAIK you can only enter the USA 14 days clear days after leaving the U.K. ( and transiting airside is counted as being “ in” the U.K.) unless you have a exempted reason - so I can believe that BA will want proof of the exemption otherwise they be left with ineligible passengers. Have you checked that aspect?

glasgow
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
2. Re: Declaration Form Transit through Heathrow
Save

Yes If they are getting off a plane in UK they need to fill in the form. This is UK rules

Unless they are exempt from USA restrictions ie are US residents or similar they can't board a flight to USA FOR 14 days as ^^ after disembarking in UK. This is USA rules.

United States
Level Contributor
186 posts
10 reviews
12 helpful votes
3. Re: Declaration Form Transit through Heathrow
Save

I see. This was a gap in my understanding - I didnt realize that this is applicable to folks transiting through a UK airport. If thats the case this is going to be very problematic and I will need to look at a different route through the middle east or Asia

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire, London
Level Contributor
21,819 posts
625 reviews
258 helpful votes
4. Re: Declaration Form Transit through Heathrow
Save

#3 - good that you picked it up now- best wishes

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
5. Re: Declaration Form Transit through Heathrow
Save

#3 "I didnt realize that this is applicable to folks transiting through a UK airport."

Unfortunately, yes, that is the case. See specifically FAQ 1.3 at the US Embassy in the UK site below:

"Transiting a country covered by the proclamation (including the UK), even without exiting the airport, counts as physical presence within that country and triggers the application of the proclamation."

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/u-s-visa-and-travel-faqs/

Reply to: Declaration Form Transit through Heathrow
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.