We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pebble beach and wind/sun protection

2 posts
1 review
Pebble beach and wind/sun protection
Save

Any advice on what "equipment" to take on a pebble/stony beach in the UK (apart from waterproof shoes)? In particular, advice on windbreaks/beach shelter and how these cope and can be secured on a pebble beach ("normal" tents/shelters and just weigh them down with pebbles???). I'm heading to the coast in the summer but they are pebble beaches not sand and I may need some shade etc. Thanks.

11 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16,569 posts
65 reviews
27 helpful votes
1. Re: Pebble beach and wind/sun protection
Save

Why do you need waterproof shoes??

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
16 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Pebble beach and wind/sun protection
Save

I live on the south coast in a place that has a pebble beach. I can't think of the name of them now but there are items of footwear on sale locally for about £6 which are great for walking over the pebbles and can be worn in the water with no problem, they dry out in minutes.

Unless it's particularly windy normal windbreaks, beach shelters and tents are no problem at all and if it's too windy get on the leeward side of a groyne, they offer a lot of wind protection.

Portsmouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Portsmouth
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
2,611 reviews
10,741 helpful votes
3. Re: Pebble beach and wind/sun protection
Save

Portsmouth beaches are mainly pebble although there is some sand and walking in the summer months along the beach there are often many windbreaks. The pebbles vary in size, so that I guess that as long as you have a reasonable plastic hammer or whatever, it should not be a problem

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,394 posts
20 reviews
47 helpful votes
4. Re: Pebble beach and wind/sun protection
Save

Why do you need waterproof shoes??

—————————

I tend to wear plastic shoes of some kind to walk across the pebbles and go for a paddle.

From observation I would say that the pop up tent shelters are more popular on stony beaches than the traditional windbreak.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
16 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Pebble beach and wind/sun protection
Save

I was too late to edit my post above but here is a link to the type of footwear I was referring to:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-Fit-Water-Lightweight-Trainers/dp/B07RRHZ7B4/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3VQCYG4XKGZDH&dchild=1&keywords=beach+shoes+men&qid=1617896784&sprefix=beach+shoes%2Caps%2C484&sr=8-6

Edited: April 08, 2021, 11:54 pm
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16,569 posts
65 reviews
27 helpful votes
6. Re: Pebble beach and wind/sun protection
Save

OK, that's not what I'd call waterproof shoes, waterproof are ones that don't let water in!

Do you mean "jelly shoes" @bluebreezer54 ?

Edited: April 09, 2021, 12:55 am
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
48,198 posts
67 reviews
118 helpful votes
7. Re: Pebble beach and wind/sun protection
Save

When choosing a beach you need to keep in mind how far you will have to walk from the car park to your spot on the beach with all this gear and how you will pack it to carry.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
16 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Pebble beach and wind/sun protection
Save

>>> OK, that's not what I'd call waterproof shoes, waterproof are ones that don't let water in!

Do you mean "jelly shoes" @bluebreezer54 ? <<<

I agree Edinem, they are not waterproof by any stretch of the imagination but unless the OP returns to say otherwise I was just second guessing they wanted footwear that would be ok to walk across pebbles and also wear in the water. The ones I posted fit the bill. I wonder if the OP will come back back to confirm ?

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
3,490 posts
76 reviews
72 helpful votes
9. Re: Pebble beach and wind/sun protection
Save

I grew up just along the coast from Brighton (but don't think we used anything as sophisticated as a windbreak or umbrella). I think people would simple dig out a small bucket load and then pile them back in around the shaft of the pole/umbrella stem? We used to have a sun tent when my daughter was tiny (but I always had to consult Youtube to remind myself how to fold the thing).

What other kit? A carrier bag to take away any rubbish, suncream, a thermos and some handwarmers.

It might be better now, but we'd sometimes find tar on the beach (so have a waterproof back on your groundsheet or travel rug and pack some tissues.

Neoprene beach shoes would be good if you don't like walking over pebbles.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
17,689 posts
90 reviews
119 helpful votes
10. Re: Pebble beach and wind/sun protection
Save

"Any advice on what "equipment" to take on a pebble/stony beach in the UK (apart from waterproof shoes)? "

A rainmac...?

Reply to: Pebble beach and wind/sun protection
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.