We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problems with Covid tests for international arrivals ?

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
16,462 posts
65 reviews
45 helpful votes
Problems with Covid tests for international arrivals ?
Save

A friend flew back to the UK on the 28th of March: his first Covid test arrived a day late, and he has yet to receive the result. The second test has yet to arrive, but his quarantine is due to finish tomorrow.

Do others have similar stories ?

Can one leave quarantine without the second result ?

He lives near Reading, if that is of significance.

5 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
2 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Problems with Covid tests for international arrivals ?
Save

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-quarantine-when-you-arrive-in-england#testing-in-quarantine

the guidance says you need to have received negative results from day 2 and day 8 tests to leave quarantine

you can phone and find out the result maybe - we never received our day 2 result but phoned and were told that we would be contacted back only if they were positive

looking at the legislation it is complex but it seems that there is a catch all designed for people who havent tested of 14 days self isolation

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/568/schedule/2C

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
16,462 posts
65 reviews
45 helpful votes
2. Re: Problems with Covid tests for international arrivals ?
Save

14 days maximum is OK, I can live with that: many thanks for your help.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
48,298 posts
67 reviews
118 helpful votes
3. Re: Problems with Covid tests for international arrivals ?
Save

From what I remember if one of the tests is positive then you need to start the isolation again.

Tough going but better than infecting someone or maybe falling ill. I've had it. Flu is easy peasy compared to this.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
71 reviews
42 helpful votes
4. Re: Problems with Covid tests for international arrivals ?
Save

I have recently arrived back in the UK. My day 2&8 test provider sent me an email saying that they have been having trouble with Royal Mail delivering tests late, but they had been in touch with the government and people should just take the tests when they are received.

I booked test to release from a different provider local to my house. My husband (who didn't travel with me) can pick the test up from the clinic and take it to the lab, so I don't have to rely on Royal Mail for that one.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
16,462 posts
65 reviews
45 helpful votes
5. Re: Problems with Covid tests for international arrivals ?
Save

Thanks for that: I think I will use a courier to send the tests back :)

Reply to: Problems with Covid tests for international arrivals ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.