We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy places to stay with car outside Bath/York/Liverpool

Berkeley Heights...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Easy places to stay with car outside Bath/York/Liverpool
Save

Crossing fingers that we’re heading to England in November (a one-year delayed trip for a one-year delayed wedding). Flying into Heathrow and spending five or six days working our way up to the wedding near Manchester and we would like to see Bath, Stratford, Liverpool and York ( how many we can do might get cut depending on how many days pre-wedding we have),. We will be renting a car to get from place to place, but thinking it might be easier to stay slightly outside the cities and get a shuttle or train or car in for each day so as not to have to drive in the cities themselves. For York and Liverpool even considering trying to head up to where the wedding is and then just do day trips to each of them if it’s not too hard so we can at least settle down in one place for several days.

Any thoughts or recommendations of places to stay for any of these cities that would make it easy to get into them? If any of the cities are easy to drive into, I wouldn’t mind driving to a single car park for the day but definitely don’t want to be driving from place to place in a city.

30 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
7,993 posts
63 reviews
126 helpful votes
1. Re: Easy places to stay with car outside Bath/York/Liverpool
Save

A day trip by train from Manchester to Liverpool is very achievable - frequent trains and it takes an hour or so .

If you want to go by car and not stay in Liverpool city centre then staying in the outskirts near a railway station would be a good idea.

Premier Inns are a chain of motel style accommodation

There is one at Rainhill - the site of the Rainhill Trials

Another at Lea Green - Micklehead

And another at Huyton

There is on site parking at these sites

https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/merseyside/liverpool/liverpool-rainhill.html

Liverpool to Manchester was the first inter city passenger railway line

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Rainhill-Trials/

Driving into Liverpool is not too bad . It’s a compact city and the M62 motorway takes you to the edge of the city and then it’s fairly straight forward drive

Some roadworks in the centre of town at the moment but as far as city driving goes Liverpool isn’t up there with the worst

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
7,993 posts
63 reviews
126 helpful votes
2. Re: Easy places to stay with car outside Bath/York/Liverpool
Save

David , you have outlined your options in your question and I hope I have provided information on each point

Is it still possible to book flights into Manchester and visit Bath and Stratford from there ?

My suggestion would be to head to Manchester after Stratford and get settled there and do day trips by train from there to Liverpool and York.

November sees darkness descending around 1700hrs and it’s not a pleasure driving from city to city at that time shuffling between hotels - a different hotel each night is not ideal especially when Liverpool and York are just over an hour / hour and 25 minutes away by train from Manchester.

Check train times on

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

There are a few stations in Manchester

Generally

Manchester Victoria and Manchester Piccadilly for Liverpool

The faster trains to York leave from Piccadilly

Where would you be staying in Manchester ?

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire, London
Level Contributor
21,782 posts
625 reviews
258 helpful votes
3. Re: Easy places to stay with car outside Bath/York/Liverpool
Save

5-6 days for 4 places just off a Long haul flight in November sounds ambitious. Day one you will be affected by fatigue, you’ll need a couple of hours at least from landing to be in a car to set off and it’s dark before 5pm so that’s a day gone. If you want to see “stuff” get a taxi to Windsor, spend a night get a car the next day.

Opinion follows: Unless you are a Shakespeare geek drop Stratford upon Avon (assuming that’s the Stratford you mean, the Olympic park and a large shopping centre are in Stratford, London!) except for direct Bard related stuff, the other places listed are far more interesting and deserve more time that you already have.

Have you looked to fly direct to Manchester ? York and Liverpool are easy train rides from there - as is Chester. Pick up a car later (after the wedding?) and see some more sights - remember that time of year each day is short on daylight.

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
5,159 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Easy places to stay with car outside Bath/York/Liverpool
Save

From last year's thread: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186217-i16-k13121284-Recommendations_for_5_day_driving_trip_LHR_MAN-England.html

The wedding is in Macclesfield not Manchester.

I think the party is 5 people across 3 generations.

The car is deemed necessary due to the large amount of luggage (partly wedding-related).

In answer to your specific question, Bradford-on-Avon is a separate small historic town only 10-q15 minutes by train from Bath. But B--o-A is an interesting place in its own right, so might add to your time there ....

I still think there is over-optimistic thinking regarding how much you can fit in given the daylight hours. But if you're happy with a whistle-stop tour, that's up to you. While Stratford-upon-Avon can be 'seen' in a day, all the other places you mention reallly merit more than a day ...

Given the transatlantic travel, the likelihood of jet lag, the size of your party and the liability of having a car in Bath, I would seriously consider a car service to drive you all the 2 hours from Heathrow to Bath. And if you don't have the car yet, stay in Bath itself. Hire car on leaving Bath.

Starting you off, but will depend exactly what time you arrive:

Day 1 : Arrive Heathrow, travel to Bath (however you do it); few hours for initial exploration. Sleep Bath/BoA.

Day 2: Full day in Bath. Sleep Bath/BoA.

Day 3. Scenic drive across the Cotswolds , to Stratford-upon Avon. Assuming you'll want to stop at a Cotswold village for coffee or lunch, you'll have a brief exploration of Stratford before dark. Sleep SuA .

Day 4. Morning in Stratford. Afternoon drive north ..... Will leave others with greater knowledge to tease out the Macclesfield/Liverpool/York implications.

But as you can see , you're more than halfway through your time already...

5. Re: Easy places to stay with car outside Bath/York/Liverpool

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: April 06, 2021, 1:18 pm
Edited: April 06, 2021, 1:18 pm

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
16,454 posts
65 reviews
45 helpful votes
6. Re: Easy places to stay with car outside Bath/York/Liverpool
Save

Please do not get off a transatlantic flight and get into a car and drive. Travel to Bath via another method, (no shortage of options), then hire a car once you want to leave Bath.

A car is a nuisance in Bath, completely unnecessary, and you will waste time travelling in and out of the city, which is best appreciated after 6 p.m. (ignore my address, I have lived there for nearly 50 years).

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
7,993 posts
63 reviews
126 helpful votes
7. Re: Easy places to stay with car outside Bath/York/Liverpool
Save

Getting a flight into Manchester is a good option and Aer Lingus have announced some direct flights

That would save you a day

It depends if Bath and Stratford are “ must sees”

You are very tight on time and if you could leave them out then a couple of more relaxed option opens up

If you can’t get flights into Manchester then

Take the train to Manchester stay there and do the day trips to Liverpool and York from Manchester

Either way sees you in your final destination on the day that you arrive . This gives you time to rest without the need to drive and you can then go at your own pace and visit Liverpool and York by train from Manchester

No car - no driving straight off the plane- a lot less stressful

But flying into Manchester is probably your best option if you can get flights

As PMQ has pointed out 4 days for four cities plus driving is a challenge

8. Re: Easy places to stay with car outside Bath/York/Liverpool

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: April 06, 2021, 2:11 pm
Edited: April 06, 2021, 2:11 pm

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
7,993 posts
63 reviews
126 helpful votes
9. Re: Easy places to stay with car outside Bath/York/Liverpool
Save

Thanks Sonia for pointing out that our friend David made a similar request last year .

I wish that I had read it again before making my earlier posts

I have reread the thread and bearing in mind that there is a large amount of luggage and 3 generations travelling together I would confirm my previous advice to take a private transfer to Macclesfield direct from the airport

Whether arriving at Manchester or London just get a car/ minivan to Macclesfield.

From London it would “ only “ be about £330 $550

Which considering the convenience and taking into account the cost of car hire and fuel to drive yourself isn’t so expensive.

Then it’s relax and explore as previously advised safe in the knowledge that you are where you need to be from the outset

Arriving at the wedding after four days of travelling and staying in different places each night straight off a long flight is not great preparation for the wedding

Trying to get as much bang for your buck is understandable after going to the expense of flights etc but

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
2,568 posts
9 reviews
1 helpful vote
10. Re: Easy places to stay with car outside Bath/York/Liverpool
Save

Completely agree with the others comments. If you really want to include Bath, get a car service / transfer service after your long-haul, see it for 1+ days and then hire a car if you need. If you only have 5 days, I agree to consider flying directly (or with a connection) to Manchester and focusing on the north. By the time you collect you car from a car park somewhere, drive on dull motorways between cities hours, battle into the city and park up (or stay outside the centre of a city, check in to a hotel, then get public transport into the centre) you have spent much of the daylight hours in November travelling rather than seeing. So 'less is more'.

Macclesfield has some lovely countryside around it, but isn't particularly convenient for day trips by car or train. Staying somewhere near the Manchester motorways (if driving) or in Manchester city (for train travel) for 4-5 nights would be a good compromise and enable you to see Manchester city, Liverpool, Chester, York for a day each. If you do decide to drive around, I would look for a self-catering accommodation near a country house and a couple of pubs, like Dunham Massey or Tatton Park on the Cheshire side of Manchester, then move on to the Macclesfield hotel for the wedding.

Note if you are hiring a car big enough for 5 adults + luggage I guess you have realised it is inconvenient for city driving / parking. Do ask when hiring if the vehicle is classed as a car or van in terms of speed limits and what the height is to check at car parking barriers.

Reply to: Easy places to stay with car outside Bath/York/Liverpool
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about United Kingdom
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.