We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One-week road trip sowthwest UK

Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
One-week road trip sowthwest UK
Save

Hi all!

I am currently a student in Oxford and have 6 more months until graduation, but I haven't explored the UK as much as I want to due to covid. Anyway, I've decided to go on a one-week road trip starting on April 12 because then travel restrictions will be lifted in the areas I'm considering.

The only thing that I definitely want to do is drive on the Black Mountain Pass in wales and explore Brecon Beacons Park while I'm there. Other than that, I have no plan and I'm hoping to get your suggestions on how to spend the remainder of my trip.

My main interests are nature and sightseeing and I don't mind long drives. Candidates of places I might want to visit/stop at include Snowdonia, Cotswolds, and Bath but I'm not entirely sure.

Any recommendations on which roads to take and places to stop by in Wales and the west of England?

Many thanks

12 replies to this topic
North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire, London
Level Contributor
21,832 posts
625 reviews
258 helpful votes
1. Re: One-week road trip sowthwest UK
Save

Self-contained, self catering accommodation opens from 12 April, and catering only served outside. hotels will remain closed…… can you get any accommodation?

Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
2. Re: One-week road trip sowthwest UK
Save

Yeah you're right, this is from gov.uk: [from April 12], members of the same household can take a holiday in England in self-contained accommodation.

I still haven't looked but is compliant accommodation in short supply?

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire, London
Level Contributor
21,832 posts
625 reviews
258 helpful votes
3. Re: One-week road trip sowthwest UK
Save

Self catering tends, but not exclusively, to be multi night bookings - I suspect for you it will be a limiting factor

Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
4. Re: One-week road trip sowthwest UK
Save

Will keep it in mind. Thanks for the heads-up!

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
4,614 posts
47 reviews
13 helpful votes
5. Re: One-week road trip sowthwest UK
Save

Airbnb might be your answer but the accommodation must be self contained so no renting a room in a house with shared facilities.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
6. Re: One-week road trip sowthwest UK
Save

I would suggest that you book anything you can for whatever time you can. Wherever it is there will be plenty to see within driving distance. Come back for suggestions when you know about accommodation.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: One-week road trip sowthwest UK
Save

Wales isn't in England, you need to check their rules as well. They plan to allow Cross border leisure travel from April 12th if the situation doesn't get worse - but having seen pictures of the behaviour in Cardiff this weekend it could easily get worse!

"Self-contained accommodation" is already open within Wales. It will be in short supply at weekends and school holidays, but your problem is that most of it is designed to take whole families and priced for that.

Wales and the southwest of England don't really go together in one trip. If I were you I'd leave Wales until later, probably early September when the kids are back at school. Then go across to the Brecon Beacons, find the A470 and follow it north to Llandudno.

Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
8. Re: One-week road trip sowthwest UK
Save

I really appreciate your advice, guys. I'll probably wait until a couple of days before Apr 12 and see whether government rules allow for such a trip and then either make my bookings or cancel it altogether.

I would still appreciate your recommendations, which I will put to use even if I postpone this trip.

steve8482, I just had a look at the route you recommended on Google maps, it seems wonderful and right up my street! Any tips on which places to visit and where to spend the night along this route? (assuming I'll take this trip after the easing of all restrictions)

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
9 reviews
1 helpful vote
9. Re: One-week road trip sowthwest UK
Save

Agree usually self contained, self catered places have 2-3 night minimums but you can work around that. And you should try and book flexible in case the laws for England and Wales don't change.

Bath or the Cotswolds can be done as day trips or weekends from Oxford easily by train or car. I would suggest you either do south west England (from Bath south) or Wales, either are 'whistlestop' in a week but you can get a good flavour of either.

e.g. Drive Oxford to South Wales with 3 nights overnight anywhere central. Day trips could be Gower Peninsula (Rhosilli for headland walk and beach) or to Stackpole, Barafundle Bay walk and St Govan's Chapel. One day doing your Black Mountain pass and suggest you visit a castle or two. A nice spring thing is to find a bluebell wood, for example there is a bluebell walk at Dinefwr, but there will be other places too. If you like drives, I would drive up alongside Elan Vallet reservoirs to Snowdonia, staying the other 3 nights there. The Nant Ffrancon valley is a classic drive to get the impression of the big mountains. You would only have 2 full days so pick a walk that suits you if you get a clear day. Then a long drive back if the weather is ok would be via the A5 to Llangollen, where there are heritage sites from derelict castle and abbey and industrial aqueduct, then Shrewsbury and directly south through the Shropshire hills and over Cleehill for nice views and then motorways back to Oxford.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
10. Re: One-week road trip sowthwest UK
Save

For a seperate Wales trip, assuming B&B and hotels have reopened.

Start Oxford-Merthyr Tydfil. Various routes, via Abergavenny might be a problem because of the infamous road works, straight up from the M4 would be fastest (and includes the Severn bridge).

From there, A470 via Brecon (lunch break?) to Rhyader. Have overnight pre booked here. You may arrive early enough to experience the Elan Valley loop. On Google Maps zoom and you see a B road going west from the village centre, this connects the two ends of a road that does a circuit of the dams and reservoirs.

Next day, continue north, from Llanidloes you can take a short cut via Staylittle. For overnight probaly best go off the A470, either west to the coast between Barmouth and Harlech. Or east to Bala. If the latter next day take the A4212 towards Trawsfynydd BUT afte rthe lake look for a road on the right signposted Ffestiniog with a height limit. Not only is this a stunnng road, in the morning with the sun behind you it gives fantastic views of Snowdonia, with the light at the right angle to highlight the man made features from old slate quarries.

Two nights in the Llandudno (probably) to Conwy area. Middle day a round trip via Caernarfon, Beddgelert, Llanberis. This goes around Snowdon - and will be clogged at weekends!

Leave Llandudno heaqding east until you reach teh A525 (which you will do whicver road you take!), then follow this south, switching to A542 towards Llangollen . This uses the Horse Shoe Pass and if it's open the Ponderosa cafe is where petrol heads stop for a break. Just as you run into Llangollen there is a small car museum. Then it's A5 to south side of Shrewsbury, A49 to Leominster and A44 to Oxford.

Edited: April 04, 2021, 1:42 am
Reply to: One-week road trip sowthwest UK
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.